Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Bedlam causing bends
Post Reply
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » January 18th 2013, 3:55am

Took the U1 for a spin today with some buddies.

Thoughts? Legibility is off the scale. My read-at-a-glance king in the water had been the Halios Laguna...but this is better. Really impressed. The bezel action is good - easy to use and doesn't seem likely to shift at all. The Sinn rubber is a POS for diving in - doesn't fit without the extension and the extension is too long for a 5mm suit + 2mm gloves at even 20m. It was slipping around all over the place. I'll put it on a BC317 next time.

Pics from the dive at Cape Francis, Western Australia;

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

There's a lobster hiding in there...
Image

Poor shot of a huge cuttlefish as he was escaping into the dark. His head was bigger than mine.
Image

Image

Image

A school of Stripeys (yup, imaginative name) was going past and then turned straight at me and then swam around us. Cool.
Image
Image
Image

Image

Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 10648
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by eddiea » January 18th 2013, 5:23am

Dude, it doesn't get any better than that , love the tegimented bezel and the U-Boat SS case...Sinn is a winner in my book...
Still we appreciate some goddanm Australian sharks in the pic , forget about a great white, I settle for a silver tip at this point .....
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » January 18th 2013, 5:29am

We didn't use a shark shield or anything...the lazy bastards just can't be bothered to come and take a chunk out of my weathered old Aussie rear.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 10648
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by eddiea » January 18th 2013, 5:42am

bedlam wrote:We didn't use a shark shield or anything...the lazy bastards just can't be bothered to come and take a chunk out of my weathered old Aussie rear.

Forgot to ask you, do you have a clear pic of the Laguna underwater ? just to compare...
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » January 18th 2013, 4:13pm

Thanks guys.

I thought Stripeys might have gone Piranha for a brief moment...but they adopted us and swum around with as as a school for a while. Who knows what's in a fishes mind
Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » January 18th 2013, 6:12pm

codguy wrote:Sorry for the hijack but what camera/set up did you use for the under water pics ?

Its an el cheapo setup :-)

Canon Ixus 220HS for $200 and a Canon WP-DC41 waterproof housing for $250

It works pretty well and is compact. The camera senses its in the housing and automatically goes into its underwater program mode. The flash is underpowered for serious use though.


Image

Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
themadhungarian

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by themadhungarian » February 16th 2013, 7:32am

Would you take my Hexa on a dive and do a comparison thread? I will pay all shipping costs to and from Oz. Considering the obvious nod to Sinn in the Hexa (with a few notable differences) and its Japanese movement, I think a comparison thread would be a legitimate apples to apples review. Let me know and I will send out the Hexa.

Anthony
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » February 16th 2013, 5:34pm

themadhungarian wrote:Would you take my Hexa on a dive and do a comparison thread? I will pay all shipping costs to and from Oz. Considering the obvious nod to Sinn in the Hexa (with a few notable differences) and its Japanese movement, I think a comparison thread would be a legitimate apples to apples review. Let me know and I will send out the Hexa.

If you want Anthony. Diving is a vigorous activity and things can get banged on (though I have learned how to keep the watch-head out of troubles way for the most part). If you are very keen to get under-water shots and willing to pay for transit and take the risk of damage to the watch, then I am happy to oblige.

I have a small queue forming it would seem. Todd Caldwell (Aegir Watches) wants me to take the CD-2 for a spin to get some pics too.

Maybe I could retire from work and dive other people's watches full-time!! Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED
Posts: 9280
Joined: August 29th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by Horse Feathers » February 17th 2013, 5:01pm

I commented earlier in this thread but just wanted to add that it's nice to see someone use a dive watch for what it was designed to use. I'll admit to being a big Dive watch fan but doubt any of my better watches have ever seen water (I don't even like having my watches in the rain)
Image

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » February 17th 2013, 10:37pm

If I was too scared to dive with it I just wouldn't buy it. The exception is a watch I have bought but don't see to be bonding with and expect to flip. Otherwise, drive it like you stole it is my motto Image

Even then, I'm not really that hard on my watches. I dove with my last BFK and later flipped it. The buyer left very complimentary feedback saying it looked like the watch had never even been worn.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Posts: 8945
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)
Contact:

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by bedlam » February 18th 2013, 12:57am

eddiea wrote:Dude, it doesn't get any better than that , love the tegimented bezel and the U-Boat SS case...Sinn is a winner in my book...
Still we appreciate some goddanm Australian sharks in the pic , forget about a great white, I settle for a silver tip at this point .....

I found one...a pic from a dive a while back at Rottnest Island of a Grey Nurse is the best I can do. It had a youngun tagging along but I think it is out of frame on that pic.

Image
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
User avatar
themadhungarian

Re: Sinn U1 in the Big Blue

Post by themadhungarian » February 19th 2013, 11:39am

bedlam wrote:
themadhungarian wrote:Would you take my Hexa on a dive and do a comparison thread? I will pay all shipping costs to and from Oz. Considering the obvious nod to Sinn in the Hexa (with a few notable differences) and its Japanese movement, I think a comparison thread would be a legitimate apples to apples review. Let me know and I will send out the Hexa.

If you want Anthony. Diving is a vigorous activity and things can get banged on (though I have learned how to keep the watch-head out of troubles way for the most part). If you are very keen to get under-water shots and willing to pay for transit and take the risk of damage to the watch, then I am happy to oblige.

I have a small queue forming it would seem. Todd Caldwell (Aegir Watches) wants me to take the CD-2 for a spin to get some pics too.

Maybe I could retire from work and dive other people's watches full-time!! Image


Pics are great, but I am more interested in a brutally honest performance review. Hexa bills this watch as a true dive watch so I would like to know how it really stacks up against similarly built/outfitted watches. It will see plenty of hard use in a salt environment here in SC as I do a great deal of fly fishing in the salt marshes, but I would like to know how it performs under water as well. I am completely aware of the risks and I would like to proceed. Please PM me a shipping addy and I will send it out asap. Thanks!

Anthony
Post Reply

Return to “Into the Deep Dive Photos & Videos”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest