- Master of Time
- Posts: 4590
- Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
- Location: Peace River, Alberta
- I arrive in Shanghai late on the 24th of September, And I leave on the 28th, so three clear days in Shanghai. I'll be seeing A.J. the horological writer, and AHCI nominee Guo Ming, and other local collectors--and just wandering around. Maybe a trip to see what's up at the old Factory. Hotel is $45 CDN a night. Perfect.
- Then Zhuhai on the 28th for a social visit to the family (husband and kids) of one of my guides at Zhuhai Rossini back in 2014. We've met up occasionally at the watch fairs, but her family has extended a welcome before, and I absolutely want to take them up on it. She's not at Rossini now and it won't be watch stuff. It's just friend time. They've offered me a room in their home, which is wonderful.
- Which means next stop is Shenzhen on the 1st of September (till the 5th) to (hopefully) meet up with Eric Heise, Ed Tse, Joel Chan and the rest of the whole Shenzhen/Hong Kong VCM collecting crew.
- Sept 5th, I fly from Shenzhen to Shenyang, Liaoning Province (about 4 hours/2200km north), and the flight cost was about $145 CDN.
I wechat texted a contact who lived in Shenyang to find out about cheap decent hotels and he said he'd get back to me.
A day later, he informed me that my accommodations in both cities would be arranged for me, as well as some friend accompanied time to see the sights in Shenyang on September 6th, including domestic watch hunting--and then accompanied to Dandong on the 7th for a Peacock factory tour. That leaves me a day in Shenyang unplanned (the 8th).
- And, wouldn't ya know, Tianjin is right in between Shenyang and Shijiazhuang, so 9th to the 12th gets me two full days to walk the Hai He.
- Then Shijiazhuang to see my brother Ma Rong, hos wife and their new child. And walk a glass bridge and maybe revisit Cangyanshan. $50/night at the Holiday Inn Express,
- Then Beijing later on the 17th, arriving to see Li Wei from the CHA, Philip Li from Merkur, and who knows who else before I head home the morning of Sept 21st. I got hold of my friend, Alexander at the place I like staying at in Lishi Hutong (I've almost always stayed there while in Beijing) to ask if he could hold a cancellation for me because all his rooms were booked for those days (17-21) according to the websites, and he said nope--there's a room for you on those days, welcome. Excellent.
"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu