A really good video on the 1963s...

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
Post Reply
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3625
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: A really good video on the 1963s...

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2020, 12:26pm

Seen that today. Frankly, this leaves me somewhat puzzled. Where does that really leave HKED and the Sea-Gulls from Watchunique?
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
User avatar
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Posts: 4035
Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Contact:

Re: A really good video on the 1963s...

Post by AlbertaTime » May 10th 2020, 12:58pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
May 10th 2020, 12:26pm
Seen that today. Frankly, this leaves me somewhat puzzled. Where does that really leave HKED and the Sea-Gulls from Watchunique?
As Jody stated near the end: the presently existing re-issue manufacturers are what everybody thinks of when they think of "Seagull 1963s" although they are not, now because Sea--hyphen--Gull started to release them, the "official" 1963s.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3625
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: A really good video on the 1963s...

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2020, 3:18pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
May 10th 2020, 12:58pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
May 10th 2020, 12:26pm
Seen that today. Frankly, this leaves me somewhat puzzled. Where does that really leave HKED and the Sea-Gulls from Watchunique?
As Jody stated near the end: the presently existing re-issue manufacturers are what everybody thinks of when they think of "Seagull 1963s" although they are not, now because Sea--hyphen--Gull started to release them, the "official" 1963s.
That still leaves the question of Watchunique. It’s as if the 1963s in their offer weren’t from Sea—hyphen—Gull, even though they ARE that company’s European distributor, offering the Ocean Star diver and the Dong Feng as well.

Also, who makes the watches for HKED? Does Ed have them made by someone for his shop, or does he have a production facility of his own? Or both?
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
User avatar
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Posts: 4035
Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Contact:

Re: A really good video on the 1963s...

Post by AlbertaTime » May 10th 2020, 8:13pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
May 10th 2020, 3:18pm
AlbertaTime wrote:
May 10th 2020, 12:58pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
May 10th 2020, 12:26pm
Seen that today. Frankly, this leaves me somewhat puzzled. Where does that really leave HKED and the Sea-Gulls from Watchunique?
As Jody stated near the end: the presently existing re-issue manufacturers are what everybody thinks of when they think of "Seagull 1963s" although they are not, now because Sea--hyphen--Gull started to release them, the "official" 1963s.
That still leaves the question of Watchunique. It’s as if the 1963s in their offer weren’t from Sea—hyphen—Gull, even though they ARE that company’s European distributor, offering the Ocean Star diver and the Dong Feng as well.

Also, who makes the watches for HKED? Does Ed have them made by someone for his shop, or does he have a production facility of his own? Or both?
Ed and Thomas have a close working relationship, and that goes back many years.

I'm not at liberty to speak about Watchunique, and any assumption would probably be wrong, but they have my respect, and I'd buy from them.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1182
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: A really good video on the 1963s...

Post by bbattle » May 11th 2020, 3:47pm

The front of my watch looks exactly like the Sea-hyphen-Gull watch but it has the caseback window and a sapphire crystal. They offer the acrylic crystal and a 42mm option. Mine is 38mm.
https://seagull1963.org/products/seagul ... 1575711821

Image
Image

I tried to go to the Sea-Gull website but it looked to be malware. I did find the seagullwatchcompany.com website and they have what appears to be the re-issue of the "original". $509.55. Much nicer case than the cardboard box my watch came in.

https://www.seagullwatchcompany.com/col ... ition-fkjb

Image
Image
Post Reply

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest