YAHGP from the AMCHPR May 2020 edition

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

YAHGP from the AMCHPR May 2020 edition

Post by AlbertaTime » May 5th 2020, 10:11pm

Back in May of 2014, I wrote a post called YAHGP from the AMCHPR...Yet another Happy Gratitude post.... Among the watches in that post was a lovely older Beijing watch, gifted by Watchuseek member henry5010.

Well, six years later, the five beautiful watches in today's post arrived yesterday--more watches from Henry!!--and I'm once again astonished and grateful for the support my efforts receive. I don't have words good enough, and my photos won't meet that bar, either--but here they are.

Henry: Wow!! Seriously: Wow!! Note: all of these watches came to me on brand new Ofrei genuine leather straps, too!

As it happens, I didn't have a Lanque in the collection, although I've always wanted one, and same with Kuihua, if I recall correctly.

Dongfeng, from Tianjin Watch Factory, prior to Sea-Gull branding, with an ST5 movement:

Zhufeng, with a ZLN (Laioning) Tongji/Standard movement. Back in 2011, I was advised by a source I trust that Zhufeng watches likely came from the factory with any of a number of movements: ZLN, like this one, or ZTZA, or STZ. This is not unfitting, given Zhufeng's status as a 2nd grade watch. But every Zhufeng I own runs really well, and I have a few just because I love the caseback. I also have Zhufeng with differing casebacks, again likely factory direct so far as my sources advise.

Lanque watch from Tianjin Watch Factory, with an ST5 movement. Lanque was a Grade 2 or 3 watch, and often came with case backs with a polished out logo.

Tianjin from Tianjin Watch Factory, with an ST5 movement.

Kuihua 奎华 Sunflower from Jieyang Wristwatch Factory, w/17 jewel SN2 movement. The 17 jewel was Jieyang's top grade SN2 variant. And: I *love* the caseback

I am a very fortunate collector, and I'm *always* grateful. Again, thank you Henry. This was an extremely kind addition to the AMCHPR collection! That's especially so since I'm off work these days due to COVID, so I haven't been buying any watches, and I'm trying *not* to spend the $$$ I'd saved for this year's now-postponed trip to China in hopes of returning next year.

Oh, an extra note: As it happens, I had the exact fitting caseback wrench for all five of these watches, so no messing around with one of those "hope the two pins don't slip and wreck the back" openers, and no wrestling with a sticky rubber ball, either. Life rawks!!
Last edited by AlbertaTime on May 5th 2020, 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: YAHGP from the AMCHPR May 2020 edition

Post by conjurer » May 5th 2020, 11:39pm

It's good to hear from you, A-T, in this time of horror and strife. Also, it's good to see you curating the AMCHPR collection, with help from men of good will.

For those noobs who don't know shit but have come here to learn a bit, here's the 411--Alberta Time is one of those collectors in the Old School, who find a niche that nobody knows anything about, but interests them. In A-T's case, it's Chinese horology, and there's nobody out there who knows more about this bit that he does. We are blessed here at WLs that A-T shows up to school us; whatever you learn here, you learn by standing on the shoulders of giants.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 6th 2020, 10:32am

Thanks, both. Henry's generosity was a very welcome boost to my spirits, as are your very kind comments.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » May 6th 2020, 2:35pm

Those are some cool looking watches, Alberta Time.

Have the South Koreans gotten into the watch business? I see the watch business being a source of pride to a lot of countries that have it. I would be surprised if the Koreans didn't rise to the challenge being in between China and Japan.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 6th 2020, 4:05pm

I think Tissel is South Korean. here's others...

https://medium.com/@radrelsc2/korean-wa ... 022031fc4c

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”