AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Meanwhile...in Alberta...

Post by AlbertaTime » January 16th 2020, 6:43am

codguy wrote:
January 16th 2020, 6:30am
Translared to american.... thats like -60 degrees Fahrenheit. no thank you
It's only -45.4° F "American". Heck, not even -50.

There's not one thing I like about it.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » January 16th 2020, 12:54pm

That's why I left the oil fields in North Dakota after just one winter, and joined the Air Force. There is an AFB in Minot ND, the saying goes, Why not Minot? Freezing is the reason.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 16th 2020, 5:50pm

So, do people go to work like nothing's happened when it is that cold? The coldest I've been involved in was -10ºF with a high temp of -5ºF. The snow was extra crunchy and LOUD when walking on it. We had utility lights on the engine blocks at night. They now have heated dipsticks; is that what they use in Canada and other places that get cold?
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 16th 2020, 7:07pm

bbattle wrote:
January 16th 2020, 5:50pm
So, do people go to work like nothing's happened when it is that cold? The coldest I've been involved in was -10ºF with a high temp of -5ºF. The snow was extra crunchy and LOUD when walking on it. We had utility lights on the engine blocks at night. They now have heated dipsticks; is that what they use in Canada and other places that get cold?
Most cars will start without a block heater, as long as they get some running every day, till maybe -20C (roughly 4/5F)

But when it hits -20C or so, we use electric (corded) block heaters for cars/trucks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater except if running diesel fuel--in which case, the smart money is one keeping the thing running 24/7 when anywhere outside a heated garage. Most of us who can will remote-start our vehicles about 10-15 minutes before we drive. Anyone else who drives, goes out and starts it, and comes back inside for 10 or so (2 sets of keys).

And, pretty much, we just keep on going. Dress for the cold, and lots of us make sure our car is equipped for being trapped away from home if we're going anywhere off a well-travelled highway, or for any long distance.

At -20/25 (around -5F) , though, life isn't all that hard. Once winter is well in, it's unlikely most living up here would do up their jacket to walk down a street or from the car to a house--you'd wear the jacket (unless it's just across the street, then maybe not.) Really, except for the darkness from 5PM to 9AM, most folks up here don't think much about -20C; it's normal. Cold and kinda crappy and lots of indoor time--except for winter sports (hate 'em).

Wind chill counts. -20C with no wind is easy to deal with. -20C with a strong wind can be very brutal, quickly painful on any skin that's exposed. At -20C, adding a 10mph wind makes it -30C (-22F).

-40C/-40F (same/same) is when things start to break, and life requires lots more care, then. Hypothermia is a danger even at plus 50F if you're not adequately dressed--so -20, even, is quite dangerous, and you can't forget that.

-40C is frostbite in a couple of minutes, and severe damage in 10.

When it first hits -40, the schools close, but that's only till they get prepared if the spell lasts long enough--a day or two, it might stay closed. At -30C (wind chill, not actual), most care agencies won't transport for anything but an emergency.

Otherwise, business as usual, for winter.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”