With Thomas Leung, talking 1963 re-issues at the China Watch and Clock Fair 2019

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

With Thomas Leung, talking 1963 re-issues at the China Watch and Clock Fair 2019

Post by AlbertaTime » September 24th 2019, 9:18pm

I had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Thomas Leung of Red Star/Time King Industrial Company Limited to discuss 1963 re-issues and, among other things, his view of "which re-issues are "original".

Lots more photos at the link, and an audio interview with Thomas, so you can hear what he described in his own words.

https://www.amchpr.com/cwcf2019_redstar.html

Here's a couple of photo teasers...

Mr. Leung can be contacted at: [email protected]
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: With Thomas Leung, talking 1963 re-issues at the China Watch and Clock Fair 2019

Post by AlbertaTime » September 25th 2019, 11:28am

The 'commie big red star" versions are popular with teenagers and young adults in China. Not my taste, either.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: With Thomas Leung, talking 1963 re-issues at the China Watch and Clock Fair 2019

Post by AlbertaTime » September 25th 2019, 10:56pm

artman wrote:
September 25th 2019, 10:43pm
I can't imagine the red star versions being popular in Hong Kong right now.
Me neither, but China surprises me. And the thing is: regardless of how you or I feel about it, China has support in Hong Kong, notwithstanding all those who'd rather China just got out.

Leaving that aside, although I didn't post them here, if you go to Thomas's company site, he can provide a huge range of designs that have nothing to do with any of this. The big Red Star stuff isn't my taste, at all, but some of his other stuff sure is.

For me, the meat of this post is the background on the '63 re-issues, and that Thomas is a nice guy.

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”