AMCHR re-meet with AHCI watchmaker Guo Ming, and...

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

AMCHR re-meet with AHCI watchmaker Guo Ming, and...

Post by AlbertaTime » June 18th 2019, 8:42am

Today is a busy day for many watch lovers in China as we ready for travel to Shenzhen tomorrow for the 2019 China Watch and Clock Fair (the 30th fair), but I was blessed that my friend, AHCI watchmaker Guo Ming, still invited me to his new studio/workshop (that he moved in to 3 days ago) to spend some casual friendship time with himself and my other friend Chinese horological journalist A.J., and to see the new premises, followed by dinner.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this studio, yet on the internet, in China or in the West, but I do have Guo Ming's permission to post these photos, so here we go...

Guo Ming and AJ, chatting at the new workshop...

...and a 360 of the three of us on the workshop's patio (once it loads, right click if you want full screen)...

https://s.insta360.com/p/7f4330ed348dd00b4abbcceb918ea710

And just a few photos at the workshop...

...and a couple more 360s...

https://s.insta360.com/p/7a29d22f1d5f1cbd2c283747fe1eef12

https://s.insta360.com/p/f0403623bdac4f8d60c9084b739d02f9

...and four of us at dinner: Guo Ming by me, young Swatch worker (and student of Guo Ming) "Allen", currently doing Omega repairs for Swatch in Shanghai, and A.J., all of us chomping on some awesome regular/not fancy Chinese food at a nearby eatery...

More details and photos later when I post more on my adventures, but for now: on to Shenzhen!!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: AMCHR re-meet with AHCI watchmaker Guo Ming, and...

Post by AlbertaTime » June 18th 2019, 9:25am

kevco wrote:I am thoroughly enjoying this. Please tell them a fellow watch person from Oklahoma USA says 'thank you'.

I'll be pleased to do that!

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
tiktok

Post by tiktok » June 18th 2019, 7:49pm

What an horological journey, Ron... Bravo! Must a small question. My understanding is that Guo Ming is currently a candidate for membership into AHCI and not yet a full member. His work is amazing and his work is now getting a lot of press in Singapore, one of the most influential markets in the world.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 18th 2019, 8:52pm

tiktok wrote:What an horological journey, Ron... Bravo! Must a small question. My understanding is that Guo Ming is currently a candidate for membership into AHCI and not yet a full member. His work is amazing and his work is now getting a lot of press in Singapore, one of the most influential markets in the world.

I think he is still a candidate, but I have also seen references to him as a member (??) and this Facebook AHCI page…

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... o4NA7On3-Z

…states, among more details,

One of the new candidates admitted to AHCI - Guo Ming from Shanghai...He is also the youngest Chinese independent watchmaker in AHCI.

It might be something like the difference between "professor" and "tenured professor" :-)

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » June 19th 2019, 11:24am

AlbertaTime wrote:Yup.

I liked his earlier version, too...

I'm surprised at the continuing worldwide obsession with tourbys. They are indeed handsome and demonstrate a master's level of craftsmanship in movement making, a movement that Brequet himself basically abandoned having offered less than 50 between 1801 (patent date) and his death, AIR, in 1823'ish. The numbers 'ol Luis produced declined over the years because of his disappointment in the failure of his invention to improve timekeeping, a deficiency suffered by tourbys to date. Tourbillons remain, by and large, exquisite and expensive works of industrial art.

If masters like this guy, Dubuis, Dufor, Murphy, Muller, Asaoka, and so on and so forth are compelled by calling or chops to make the damn things, having demonstrated the mastery, what about the next step- apply discoveries in physics, advanced materials, mechanics and whatnot and make something that will at least get me to the cardiologist's office on time. Advancement. That would be cool.

How much fun to be able to sit around with watchmakers of Ming's caliber and shoot the shit.

Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”