AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Post by AlbertaTime » May 20th 2019, 11:38am

koimaster wrote::hyiju:

I gots bumped...Thanks, Alain.

Re-reading the thread was fun. That was my first ever visit to China, and even then I didn't know if I'd ever make it back. Things have worked out well, in a number of ways, since then :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 20th 2019, 6:25pm

A timely bump.

I believe when I opined that WL was already its kinder and gentler self during the recent angst that I may not have been believed and I thought bumping one of Sinophobe-era threads would be too much of a Cecil. But seeing it in hindsight it was grand fun was it not?
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 21st 2019, 6:20am

foghorn wrote:
Hawk wrote: But seeing it in hindsight it was grand fun was it not?

Not really.

Well, it did have something of a laudable ending. Everybody mellowed though some left of their own accord. Overall it provides archival proof that some furrballs did indeed result in changed outlooks and/or opinions despite the consistently stated belief that such things never happen. Though I suppose the positive results were more due to AT's diplomacy than my argumentativeness.

And, perhaps reasonably, it was a common refrain among watch forums as the Asian influence on horology had some decided negatives. I tended to hold the importers as or more responsible than the manufacturers but this wasn't exactly a popular outlook. In other words I blamed Eyal more than Heromex. And Asian sources of counterfeit products were indisputable.

Memories. I miss Seattle. He once called me at work to offer encouragement.

Oddly enough when such Asian bashing turned personal and was directed at the people or race it would now be contrary to the TOS which prohibits the attacking of family members. I suppose to have a proper re-enactment I'd have to ask Alain to permit an exception due to an Asian wife which was not a factor when the thread first appeared.

Bottom line though is that I recall such times with a degree of fondness because it puts the lie to the conventional wisdom that ideas never change.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 21st 2019, 8:33am

Hawk wrote:
foghorn wrote:
Hawk wrote: But seeing it in hindsight it was grand fun was it not?

Not really.

Well, it did have something of a laudable ending. Everybody mellowed though some left of their own accord. Overall it provides archival proof that some furrballs did indeed result in changed outlooks and/or opinions despite the consistently stated belief that such things never happen. Though I suppose the positive results were more due to AT's diplomacy than my argumentativeness.

And, perhaps reasonably, it was a common refrain among watch forums as the Asian influence on horology had some decided negatives. I tended to hold the importers as or more responsible than the manufacturers but this wasn't exactly a popular outlook. In other words I blamed Eyal more than Heromex. And Asian sources of counterfeit products were indisputable.

Memories. I miss Seattle. He once called me at work to offer encouragement.

Oddly enough when such Asian bashing turned personal and was directed at the people or race it would now be contrary to the TOS which prohibits the attacking of family members. I suppose to have a proper re-enactment I'd have to ask Alain to permit an exception due to an Asian wife which was not a factor when the thread first appeared.

Bottom line though is that I recall such times with a degree of fondness because it puts the lie to the conventional wisdom that ideas never change.

FUCK CHINA!!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 23rd 2019, 4:24am

conjurer wrote:The above post was a joke. So fucking relax, everybody.

I got my hopes up...Slowpo?? You back?? :-)

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 23rd 2019, 6:52am

Last reported whereabouts had Baby Jesus chasing tail in Brazil. Dependent on the success of the endeavor he probably misses us about as much as we miss him.

Slowpo was active at WTF then turned up at WG during my cameo appearance there thereafter surfaced here. While objectively an obvious coincidence it subjectively could have been viewed as cyber-stalking had I not misplaced my tinfoil hat. Still there are fond memories of him believing Singapore was a city in China - dumb as an ox about the topic he loved to bash but never let knowledge get in his way. Rather admirable if one looks at it a certain way, perhaps while viewing in peripheral vision while squinting and jumping up and down but memorable in any event.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 23rd 2019, 7:07pm

Hawk wrote:Rather admirable if one looks at it a certain way...

He had great confidence in his understandings.

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 23rd 2019, 7:41pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
Hawk wrote:Rather admirable if one looks at it a certain way...

He had great confidence in his understandings.

Actually, apart from a few admittedly pretty funny gags--the pineapple up the peehole is the one the jumps to mind--I don't recall Slowpo contributing much of anything to the forum. He was somewhat useful in bashing trolls, but we had plenty of others who could do that without resorting to sadistic, violently vivid sexual imagery. I recall once being in the chat box with a couple of other worthies, and in barged Slowpo, reeking of cheap liquor and pissed off about Shop's TTV from Stain Betosh, typing in ALL CAPS about how he would buy one if they dropped the price to $200, but he would be GOD-DAMMED if he'd pay five bucks more than that. Overall, he was a blathering imbecile, who once posted how he hoped another member would catch cancer and die. I think that's when he got the ban hammer.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 23rd 2019, 9:20pm

conjurer wrote:...who once posted how he hoped another member would catch cancer and die. I think that's when he got the ban hammer.

I don't have any problem with him being tossed, except that...well, it's not that he thought so well or efficiently, but more that he thought with so much conviction and panache, in spite of that handicap. T'was a thing to see.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » May 24th 2019, 8:11am

Reminds me of a quote that I can not recall the specifics of. Something along the lines of it being inappropriate to judge the competence of a Viennese waltz performed by a dog on his hind legs, the wonder is that he does so at all.

'Po could be at times quite lyrical in his opinions and assessments despite the handicap of them having no visible means of support. Something akin to building a grand and glorious structure upon no foundation whatsoever but rather hovering three feet in the air.
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS

Post by tomsimac » September 12th 2019, 3:57pm

I’ve been there. Amazing place for sure. It’s another world, a far different culture.
I found the best and worst of conditions. Always took them at face value and saw smiling people
Everywhere. Hell I grew up in poverty, to me it seems normal. I’m still conscious of how I live
Not belittling AT in the slightest.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » September 13th 2019, 3:44pm

tomsimac wrote:
September 12th 2019, 3:57pm
Not belittling AT in the slightest.
Understood and happily accepted :-)

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”