AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: AlbertaTime in the Tianjin Night (Utter Modem Carnage)

Post by Falstaff » October 21st 2011, 8:42am

An excellent, reasonable riposte to which I can hardly take exception, although I care little for the popularity of my viewpoint on this forum or any other.

Knew you'd appreciate "pompous popinjay".

A final thought (unless we get a Sinogram from Alberta) on the nature of the ethical high ground:

Mr. High-mind

"Then went the Jury out, whose names were Mr. Blindman, Mr. No-good, Mr. Malice, Mr. Love-lust, Mr. Live-loose, Mr. Heady, Mr. High-mind, Mr. Enmity, Mr. Lyar, Mr. Cruelty, Mr. Hate-light and Mr. Implacable."
(from The Pilgrim's Progress)

Eleven rogues and he to judge a fool -
He files out with the jury, but distaste
Constricts his fluting nostrils, and his cool
Mind turns tepid with contempt. There is brought
A basin for him, in which to wash his hands.
Laving his palms and fingertips, he finds
An image of his white, proportioned thought
Plunged in the squalid suds of other minds.
Unmoved by Lust's requests or Hate's commands
Or Superstition's half embarrassed bribe,
His brain takes wing and flutters up the course
First plotted by the Greeks, up toward the sphere
Where issues and alternatives are placed
In that remorseless light that knows no source.

In this banana-shaped, vanilla void,
The wise alone have cause for breathing; here
Lines parallel on earth, extended, meet.
Here priests in tweeds gyrate around the feet
Of fact, their bride and hymn their gratitude
That each toe of her ten is understood.
From this great height, the notion of the Good
Is seen to be a vulgar one, and crude.
High-mind as Judge descends to Earth, annoyed,
Despairing Justice. Man, a massy tribe,
Cannot possess one wide and neutral eye.
He casts his well-weighed verdict with a sigh
And for a passing moment is distressed
To see it coinciding with the rest.

John Updike. 1958
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 21st 2011, 8:51am

Falstaff wrote:An excellent, reasonable riposte to which I can hardly take exception, although I care little for the popularity of my viewpoint on this forum or any other.

Knew you'd appreciate "pompous popinjay".

A final thought (unless we get a Sinogram from Alberta) on the nature of the ethical high ground:
..snip..

It was the image that came to mind that caused me to blow coffee on the keyboard:

Thanks for the Updike. I hadn't read that before.

I believe you're right - we're probably done on this thread. I'll retire the Captain Popinjay suit for another six months or so.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » October 21st 2011, 12:15pm

I guess I failed to remind Hawk , he is one of couple folks that had been in my ignore list for quite some time and there for I do not read his posts, unless of course someone quote him (this thread been the case)...
It got to point that I honestly tought, I was going to descent into a catatonic coma reading his verbatim, my apologies to you Hawk, hope you understand the lack of of a direct reply on my part.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » October 22nd 2011, 2:27am

Aqua Homer wrote:This forum is turning into a real piece of shit. I'm starting to believe that just about every swingin' dick member....save for me and a scant few others, is a real fucking shitbird. Verbose shitbirds at that!

Can't argue that, turning more into a geek like social network, than anything else...
falcon4311

Post by falcon4311 » October 22nd 2011, 9:48am

Aqua Homer wrote:This forum is turning into a real piece of shit. I'm starting to believe that just about every swingin' dick member....save for me and a scant few others, is a real fucking shitbird. Verbose shitbirds at that!

As usual Mike...anyone posting comments that don't fall in line with your way of thinking is_WRONG. Eddie, Fal and the ever so pleasant Slow...your intolerance is so wrong. The three of you, I know, are loyal Walmart shoppers. So you fine gentlemen are propping up the Chinese economy with your shopping practices. And if you even try to deny that you shop there_I will call bullshit on all three of you.

Why can you not for once, put your racist attitudes on the back burner and appreciate the fact that we have different cultures. I don't agree with communism but it exists and most likely always will. Ron went to China because of his interest in the culture...he shared some amazing pictures of a country that most of us know little about. Appreciate the fact that he is a holiday of a lifetime and is enjoying it...obviously. He has no agenda as a few of you have posted_just an appreciation for a different way of life.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 24th 2014, 9:40pm

Since this was linked to in a post from today I have to say that WLs have mellowed considerably. Thank goodness!

Maybe it is the age difference but I hold China in no greater or lesser an opinion than most countries.

They are just people trying to live their lives in an imperfect world. Their's, like all governments, are filled with greedy, self-serving politicians and elite.

Two major causes of genocide and war: religion and nationalism.

A-T is a better man than me for having endured this "welcome!"

And I am glad the SlowPo person is long gone. What a prick!
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace
DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DBCooper » July 25th 2014, 8:08am

AJC wrote:Falstaff comes across as a Sinophobe.

Maybe so Andrew. But every time Falstaff goes into a one of his Falstaff Spiels™, I'm glued to it like stink on shit.
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » July 25th 2014, 9:42am

DBCooper wrote:...every time Falstaff goes into a one of his Falstaff Spiels™, I'm glued to it like stink on shit.

Falstaff is one of my favourites here. His writing is a treat.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » July 25th 2014, 9:49am

biglove wrote:A-T is a better man than me for having endured this "welcome!"

With thanks for your kind thought, I'll happily pass on the "better man than me" crown to those who started off with a decidedly negative idea about where I was coming from but who paid enough attention to find common ground and to become friends.

I'm really grateful for that.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 20th 2016, 8:04pm

My new host doesn't have ftp ( ??) which I hadn't expected to I have to manually change photos in old posts to new addresses. Thanks for the reminder. Fixed this one. I'll get on the others.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 21st 2016, 9:41am

I think I have all the photo links working throughout my Alberta Time Museum and Travels posts. Alain, thank you so much for allowing me the section like this. It made it much easier to repair the damage done by my server move.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 21st 2016, 9:43am

Beau nidle wrote:Well that escalated slowly.

Time heals :D

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 21st 2016, 9:50am

A fine bump, especially for some of our newer members.

I would point out that A-T's fine travelogues are a true asset to WLs, along with his very interesting and informative thoughts on other things. This post highlights what a learned gentleman A-T really is--he had a rocky welcome here at the beginning, but instead of telling some former members to go fuck themselves (as I certainly would have), through his obvious joy of travel, learning and his now unassailed position as one of the top experts on Chinese horology in the West, he brought most members here around. Through quiet reasoning and gentle education, A-T opened up an important and interesting door to this thing of ours.

We're lucky to have him around, goddamn it.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 21st 2016, 2:27pm

conjurer wrote:I would point out that A-T's fine travelogues are a true asset to WLs...

Very kind, my friend, but as I've said before, I'll pass the credit to those who grew along with me.

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”