I surprised myself today :-)

Chinese watch Museum and travels to China
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

I surprised myself today :-)

Post by AlbertaTime » April 9th 2021, 5:09pm

This post is fun. I was rummaging through my watches and noticed a nice enough but sorta typical looking Beijng Watch Factory watch from the 60s. I decided to look inside, and found a Beijing BS-2 movement

>insert happy dance and and exclamation marks :

Image These are kinda rare!!

There were only somewhere between 130,000 and 160,000 Beijing BS-2 watches made between 1961-1968, and this is one of them. This one's knocked around a bit, but all correct: crown, caseback, movement, dial.

And I didn't even know I had it till today. I checked back: I'd posted a very poor example I had before, that had an incorrect crown. I knew I had that one, and was always disappointed at the condition.

But I'd always presumed this one was a BS-5.

Oh happy day!!

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Re: I surprised myself today :-)

Post by AlbertaTime » April 9th 2021, 7:50pm

jason_recliner wrote:
April 9th 2021, 6:33pm
Sounds like a very pleasant surprise! Nice one.

I don't know anything about Chinese movements except that the ST19 used to be a Venus. Can you tell us a bit about the BS2?

The Beijing BS-2 was originally a 17 jewel movement, produced in two versions: one with screw balance and a later version (like mine) with a smooth balance at 18 jewels. It preceded Beijing's later 1970s SB-5 which was produced in much larger numbers. Beijing offered BS-2 owners a buy-back for credit towards a new SB-5, which is one of the large reasons so few BS-2 models remain available.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » April 9th 2021, 8:28pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
April 9th 2021, 7:50pm
jason_recliner wrote:
April 9th 2021, 6:33pm
Sounds like a very pleasant surprise! Nice one.

I don't know anything about Chinese movements except that the ST19 used to be a Venus. Can you tell us a bit about the BS2?

The Beijing BS-2 was originally a 17 jewel movement, produced in two versions: one with screw balance and a later version (like mine) with a smooth balance at 18 jewels. It preceded Beijing's later 1970s SB-5 which was produced in much larger numbers. Beijing offered BS-2 owners a buy-back for credit towards a new SB-5, which is one of the large reasons so few BS-2 models remain available.
Cheers!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 9th 2021, 10:38pm

It is posts like this that make me smile widely. In This Thing of Ours, people outside our bubble would shrug their shoulders and move on with their lives, while Us, the Lords and various other WIS, will slap each other on the back, exclaim A-T as the Western expert on Chinese horology, and hoist their glasses to his honor.

All hail A-T!
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » April 9th 2021, 11:05pm

conjurer wrote:
April 9th 2021, 10:38pm
,,,exclaim A-T as the Western expert on Chinese horology, and hoist their glasses to his honor. All hail A-T!
I'm OK with hoisting the glasses. I can do that with y'all, but the "'the' western expert" part is a stretch. I know a few western folks who can claim substantial knowledge, now.

(I'll maybe admit to some possible part in infecting them, is all)

And...I've been to China, and I know real experts. Let's just say "motivated and fortunate student" :-)

By way of saying "Very kind of you, John."

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 9th 2021, 11:09pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
April 9th 2021, 11:05pm
conjurer wrote:
April 9th 2021, 10:38pm
,,,exclaim A-T as the Western expert on Chinese horology, and hoist their glasses to his honor. All hail A-T!
I'm OK with hoisting the glasses. I can do that with y'all, but the "'the' western expert" part is a stretch. I know a few western folks who can claim substantial knowledge, now.

(I'll maybe admit to some possible part in infecting them, is all)

And...I've been to China, and I know real experts. Let's just say "motivated and fortunate student" :-)

By way of saying "Very kind of you, John."
Are there those better than A-T at Chinese horology? Perhaps there are. But not at Watchlords. And Watchlords are all the counts.

Return to “AlbertaTime Museum and Travels”