the “Great Britain” Campaign

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots
koimaster
Founder

the “Great Britain” Campaign

Post by koimaster » August 11th 2020, 12:16pm

What would it take to get you noticed by 17 Government departments? By more than 350 private and public partnerships? How would you stand out to 144 markets across the globe as a great British brand?

Would you need to be an authentic company drawing on century-old manufacturing techniques that shine a light on Britain’s heritage? Certainly. How about a company that uses handcrafted methods to exemplify the highest level of craftsmanship? Most definitely. Independent watch manufacturers, Fears and R.W Smith are the only two to be selected to help represent the Great Britain Campaign.

The Great Britain Campaign hand-picks only the finest. Launched in 2012 it was designed to showcase the cream of the crop – the very best of what Britain has to offer in terms of business, heritage, culture, creativity, technology and sport among other things. More than 350 high profile businesses support the campaign which is constantly striving to extend the ultimate reach and impact overseas by refining marketing techniques.

From healthcare to business figures to some of the most iconic British brands we as a nation can proudly claim our own – the campaign’s initiative is to stimulate jobs and promote growth, as well as to encourage the world to visit, study and do business with Britain. Its £113.5m investment has directly returned £1.2bn to the economy. Its framework incorporates outdoor advertising, social media, PR, exhibitions, events and TV. But what does it really take to be a company in this day and age deemed respectable and noteworthy enough to represent the entire country?

Well, brand consistency is one of GREAT’s fundamental strategies in targeting audiences and encouraging them to respond and engage, which is why R.W Smith and Fears are independent watch manufacturers that stand out amongst some of the most vibrant, innovative and inspiring watch brands within the UK. Let’s take a quick look at what underscores each company as a leading pioneer within the British watchmaking industry…

https://www.watchitallabout.com/british ... -campaign/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: the “Great Britain” Campaign

Post by Pubbie » August 12th 2020, 5:10am

Heart-warming stuff but the UK economy just tanked by 20% - the worst response to Covid-19 of all the countries in the world of much size. It would also be a brave person to invest in an economy whose productivity - even when times are good - is permanently 20% lower than France's, and "benefits" from some of the worst managerial skills on the planet.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » August 12th 2020, 5:44am

Right up until the last three words of that blurb it wasn't at all clear they were talking about watches. I was expecting Holland & Holland, Purdey, Rigby, maybe some Bond Street suits. One shouldn't be disappointed to see watches in a watch forum but that intro encourages false expectations.

urrr. Cod beat me to it but it should be noted that I would not put Lucas in with Rigby. After all...

Someone put that image in my head during my ownership of a TR-7.

As to any considerations of virus response I would like to express our sincere appreciation for the UK in keeping us out of number one slot. So far.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 12th 2020, 7:27am

codguy wrote:
August 12th 2020, 5:33am
Perhaps a good step would have Lucas Industries manufacture electricals/electronics for the world wide automotive market.

That would sure bring them some notoriety!

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

Because Lucas Electronics make the Fridges.

My XKEs and MGBs had lucas electronics and carbs. It was a wonder the damn things started.

1946-2006

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » August 12th 2020, 10:15am

koimaster wrote:
August 12th 2020, 7:27am

Yes, I saw that episode of The Grand Tour too :)
My XKEs and MGBs had lucas electronics and carbs. It was a wonder the damn things started.
These days, Lucas (or what became of it) makes parts for civilian aircraft, light aircraft, and missiles. Be very afraid.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 12th 2020, 11:20am

Pubbie wrote:
August 12th 2020, 10:15am
koimaster wrote:
August 12th 2020, 7:27am

Yes, I saw that episode of The Grand Tour too :
These days, Lucas (or what became of it) makes parts for civilian aircraft, light aircraft, and missiles. Be very afraid.
That quote is very old. We used to hear it from the guys driving their Alphas all of the time. I switched out my lucas carbs for side drafts and wired the fan to go on using a switch on the dash after almost melting a shoe driving in 90 degree weather and that damn 2 bladed fan giving anemic engine cooling. Had to turn the heater on to keep the motor cool.

1946-2006

Return to “Hail Britannia”