Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots
Post Reply
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 43469
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by koimaster » December 30th 2019, 11:16am

Anordain is based in Glasgow, Scotland, and was founded with a pretty simple mantra: "the appeal of a good mechanical watch lies in its ability to operate independently of the modern world." With that in mind though, Anordain's watches don't feel overly nostalgic or backward looking. Instead, they reference the past in subtle ways while still appearing contemporary and different. Anordain's first watch, the aptly named Model 1, is an expression of these principles and one that's appealingly priced at just a hair over $1,300.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/anord ... roposition

**********************************************************************************************************


It’s rare to see bold or hand-made elements in microbrand offerings, especially in the “under EUR 1,500” category. Handcrafted guilloché dials, in-house calibres and advanced complications are generally reserved for luxury brands with steep prices. Grand Feu enamel dials are a part of that list, but Scottish newcomer anOrdain managed to produce them for its inaugural watch, the affordable anOrdain Model 1. It was a rough road to travel, and some of the highest-end brands continue to outsource enamel dials to companies like Donzé Cadrans in Switzerland, but after three years of research and experimentation, anOrdain accomplished what many others couldn’t – in-house vitreous enamel dials. After a well-received debut, the now sold-out Model 1 has a successor, the anOrdain Model 2.


https://monochrome-watches.com/anordain ... -scotland/





https://anordain.com
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 15126
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by biglove » December 30th 2019, 9:07pm

That's $1300 worth of confused watch. Diver's case back, enamel dial, skeleton hands, domed crystal, no seconds hand.

I don't get it. Looks like things went to hell after their Model 1.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 32555
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by conjurer » December 31st 2019, 9:25am

Cheap Scotsmen joke:

A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Australian were in a bar and had just started on a new round of drinks when a fly landed in each glass of beer. The Englishman took his out on the blade of his Swiss Army knife. The Australian blew his away in a cloud of froth. The Scotsman lifted his one up carefully by the wings and held it above his glass. "Go on, spit it oot, ye wee devil" he growled.
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3708
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » December 31st 2019, 7:36pm

TemerityB wrote:
December 31st 2019, 8:14am
Is there anything that Hodinkee won't spread its cheeks for?
No, probably there isn't. I mean, they had the Jack fellow write and ode to MVMT. That's saying something.
TemerityB wrote:
December 31st 2019, 8:14am
What's next: A piece on how Stuhrling Original is an innovator on tourbillons?
Not as unlikely as it would seem. Fratello had a Stuhrling advertorial once, reckon it'd only take Stuhrling to ask (and penetrate) the Donkeys to get an advertorial there.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17701
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by TemerityB » December 31st 2019, 8:40pm

conjurer wrote:
December 31st 2019, 9:25am
Cheap Scotsmen joke:

A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Australian were in a bar and had just started on a new round of drinks when a fly landed in each glass of beer. The Englishman took his out on the blade of his Swiss Army knife. The Australian blew his away in a cloud of froth. The Scotsman lifted his one up carefully by the wings and held it above his glass. "Go on, spit it oot, ye wee devil" he growled.
A bit off topic: Legend has it that former New York Knicks guard Walt "Clyde" Frazier had such quick hands that he could actually reach up and grab flies out of the air as they flew, then drop them into his beer at the bar (a fact documented in the famous Richard Roeper book about The Chicago White Sox, Sox & The City). Your joke reminded me of this nugget of utterly useless knowledge.
Now found at bestdamnwatchforum.
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Posts: 3708
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 1st 2020, 7:45am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
December 31st 2019, 7:36pm
TemerityB wrote:
December 31st 2019, 8:14am
Is there anything that Hodinkee won't spread its cheeks for?
No, probably there isn't. I mean, they had the Jack fellow write an ode to MVMT. That's saying something.
TemerityB wrote:
December 31st 2019, 8:14am
What's next: A piece on how Stuhrling Original is an innovator on tourbillons?
Not as unlikely as it would seem. Fratello had a Stuhrling advertorial once, reckon it'd only take Stuhrling to ask (and penetrate) the Donkeys to get an advertorial there.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1353
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Anordain watches-Good Scotch

Post by bbattle » January 1st 2020, 3:06pm

I like the enamel dial but the price is a bit steep for it. I don't think losing the second hand was a good move, either. Seiko has them beat on the dial, at any rate.

Most of the colors don't interest me but they might appeal to others. I'm reminded of the old Apple iMac computers and their colored cases. Also Easter eggs.

I think they should produce another batch of their Model 1 watches; they sold out fairly quickly. Perhaps they are chasing whatever deals they can score regarding movements, then designing the watch to match the movement they purchased. That is fickle marketing, and consumers will be wary.

I sent them an e-mail about their Model 1 watches. I preferred the Iron Cream and Post Office Red dials but of course these two were not included in their Model 2 lineup. I also expressed a wish for the return of the second hand. I await their response; I will post it here.
Post Reply

Return to “Hail Britannia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests