C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots
koimaster
Founder

C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer

Post by koimaster » October 28th 2019, 8:35am

Worldtimers — which allow you to, at a glance, quickly determine the time anywhere across the globe — aren’t the most common complications. And typically, this level of mechanical wizardry comes at a cost. Typically. This handsome fella, the C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer from UK-based outfit Christopher Ward, bucks the trend.

Before we delve into the details, it’s worth a quick recap of the major types of travel watches. A GMT or dual time watch is simple enough — displaying a second time zone in either 24 or 12 hour time respectively (if the latter, you typically get a day/night indicator as well). And then there’s worldtimers, which rock 24-hour display AND a city disc to help make international travel and telephony a cinch. This system was initially developed in the 1930s by Louis Cottier, and is a complication with quite a prestigious pedigree. And then there are watches that have the city ring, but only show two time zones (but often allows you to quickly adjust them): Glashütte Original and Nomos spring to mind here.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on ... orldtimer/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer

Post by Hawk » October 28th 2019, 10:27am

Yup. But the current crop of Orient world timers is generally less useful than CW's old design. Though admittedly better at its advertised function than the one they sold with a tachymeter bezel but no chrono function.

Being a retired olde farte my interest in world timers has waned as I no longer give a flying fig what time it is in NY or TX when I'm a half dozen or more time zones removed. A 24 hour still comes in handy in not missing one's flight out of Dubai when in a drunken stupor.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 28th 2019, 10:15pm

Hawk wrote:
October 28th 2019, 10:27am
Yup. But the current crop of Orient world timers is generally less useful than CW's old design. Though admittedly better at its advertised function than the one they sold with a tachymeter bezel but no chrono function.

Being a retired olde farte my interest in world timers has waned as I no longer give a flying fig what time it is in NY or TX when I'm a half dozen or more time zones removed. A 24 hour still comes in handy in not missing one's flight out of Dubai when in a drunken stupor.
The CW is, actually, a very nice looking watch. However, Orient's been making world timers, like I said, for a long fucking time--with manufacture movements, I might add. Also, ETA's been making the 2893-3 for a really long time, too.

I like world timers because I'm an armchair explorer. The idea of glancing at a world time dial and knowing the pretty accurate time makes my dick hard. But then, I'm a complete fucking dork.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Hawk
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Hawk » October 29th 2019, 8:36am

I'd tend to agree that a nicely executed world timer has an appeal apart from its stated purpose but mine have traditionally been either

Too busy:

Or too compromised:

But I gotta admit that Ball provided yeoman service when called upon.

CW's latest shot at the breed does look pretty decent to me though.

Return to “Hail Britannia”