Kevin Chellar, horologist in Dublin

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots
koimaster
Founder

Kevin Chellar, horologist in Dublin

Post by koimaster » March 19th 2019, 4:12pm

Who?

Kevin Chellar restores and sell antique clocks, barometers and barographs, and provides a comprehensive repair service at Timepiece Antique Clocks in Patrick Street, Dublin 8 – close to St Patrick’s Cathedral – a business jointly owned and run by his wife Carol.

What’s your background?

My name causes some raised eyebrows and I am always asked where am I from originally. My mother is Irish, from Drumcondra, and my dad is from Sri Lanka – formerly known as Ceylon. I studied at The Irish Swiss Institute of Horology, which was formerly based in Blanchardstown. I came across horology [the art of making clocks and watches] quite by accident. Engineering was in my blood as my dad was an engineer – as were both my grandfathers – and my son is now also an engineer. I spent three years at the institute studying all aspects of horology – drawing, electronics, watch theory, tool-making, maintenance and restoration to name a few. The course was super, it was practically one-on-one tutoring as only 11 students were admitted per year, and five tutors were on hand. Unfortunately the college is now closed. At present if you want to study horology you have to travel to the UK or further afield.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... NORvV4BiDk

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Hail Britannia”