Tech Question

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
smellody (Online)
Owner

Tech Question

Post by smellody » January 7th 2023, 4:25pm

Tech question for those of you who are far more knowledgeable than me.

My "school" laptop, now 16 years old, took a dirt nap a couple of weeks ago and will not boot. Has the static symptoms and I tried all the online help to get it to boot up. I've decommissioned it as I had just used it as an extra security monitor (it has explorer!) And for my checking account tracking that I built an excel spreadsheet for.

Anyhow, if I buy one of these and take out my hardrive and install it in one of these will be able to access my files, pictures, etc. ?

Any input is appreciated!

Along those lines, should we have a tech corner sub forum?
gerdson

Re: Tech Question

Post by gerdson » January 7th 2023, 11:48pm

If it is SATA already. Could be IDE. But fear not, there are adapters for that as well. In particular there are additional powersupply cables required.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: Tech Question

Post by codguy » January 8th 2023, 6:34am

I did the same with the HD from a dead laptop though I purchased a small lightweight (minimalist) enclosure to run it.
USB powered and perfect to travel with.

Already had a HD backup of that laptop so nothing was lost if that drive was toast.

Slight Cecil-----
Christmas gift to self was a 16" MacBook Pro w/ M1 chip. It along with previously mentioned external drive will be new travel companions going forward.
Better travel option would be an external SSD but since I already had the HD, I went that route.

Nice to have a discussion with differing viewpoints as adults, agreement or not. I am beginning to like this place. - koimaster

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”