You can't make this stuff up

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

You can't make this stuff up

Post by bbattle » December 9th 2022, 4:40pm

"AS DAVID ANCALLE opened video after video of diarrhea this year, it struck him: This is not what he expected to be doing for his Ph.D.

Ancalle, a mechanical engineering student at Georgia Tech who researches fluid dynamics, is currently working to demystify the acoustics of urination, flatulence, and diarrhea. His team is training AI to recognize and analyze the sound of each bathroom phenomenon; in fact, research suggests that tracking the flow of our excretions could benefit public health.

WHAT THEY DID — Until recently, Ancalle wasn’t thinking much about diarrhea. “Our initial focus for that first year was really on flatulence and urination,” he says. He and his colleagues were trying to relate the sound of farts to the internal geometry of a rectum — abnormal changes could mean cancer. “After discussing with gastroenterologists we thought that it would be a good way to try for a non-invasive route.”

But the project soon expanded: Ancalle teamed up with researchers at GTRI who were figuring out ways to passively detect outbreaks of gastrointestinal diseases. Perhaps, they wondered, next-gen toilets could do more than collect excrement — they could also help alert communities of an outbreak.

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/fart ... atordotcom
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Post by robatsu » December 10th 2022, 6:24pm

Ok, I’ll bite

I got a MSME from UAB in 1995. That’s a master s in mechanical engineering.

Mechanical engineering broadly divides into the material the public associates with the discipline- stress strain machines etc, very practical stuff, and heat transfer and fluid flow l, aka fluid dynamics ir more recently computational fluid dynamics

Very abstract mega math stuff aka rocket science

That was my focus at UAB and at that time UAB was bootstrapping itself as a full spectrum biomed joint

So all the departments had to get on board and my grad work was modellng fluid flow through heart valves as a diagnostic tool for valve leakage and other dysfunction

For the fluid guys they aren’t anywhere near a patient, it’s just an abstract fluid problem.

Which gets me to the next part, which is post Cold War fluids has awfully lot been a solution in search of a problem

Fwiw after grad school I worked in AI which was getting figured out then, genetic algorithms, Neural nets, etc which was uber coolio until everyone figured out thst it would be like a generation or so until infrastructure was there to support practical usage of these techniques

And AI went into a long winter but now conditions are hospitable

Anyhow the point is that AI kills on diagnostic problems like this and in ways rolls up, fully bounds, the fluid dynamics in this usage into its broader pattern recognition

So it’s kinda quaint to see someone hawking a fluids solution for a problem that AI will just blow them out of the water on
smellody (Online)
Owner

Post by smellody » December 12th 2022, 11:31pm

robatsu wrote:
December 10th 2022, 6:24pm
Ok, I’ll bite

Mechanical engineering broadly divides into the material the public associates with the discipline- stress strain machines etc, very practical stuff, and heat transfer and fluid flow l, aka fluid dynamics ir more recently computational fluid dynamics

That was my focus at UAB and at that time UAB was bootstrapping itself as a full spectrum biomed joint

So all the departments had to get on board and my grad work was modellng fluid flow through heart valves as a diagnostic tool for valve leakage and other dysfunction

For the fluid guys they aren’t anywhere near a patient, it’s just an abstract fluid problem.

Which gets me to the next part, which is post Cold War fluids has awfully lot been a solution in search of a problem

Fwiw after grad school I worked in AI which was getting figured out then, genetic algorithms, Neural nets, etc which was uber coolio until everyone figured out thst it would be like a generation or so until infrastructure was there to support practical usage of these techniques

Anyhow the point is that AI kills on diagnostic problems like this and in ways rolls up, fully bounds, the fluid dynamics in this usage into its broader pattern recognition

So it’s kinda quaint to see someone hawking a fluids solution for a problem that AI will just blow them out of the water on
I knew you were a smart dude!
robatsu (Online)
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » December 12th 2022, 11:57pm

smellody wrote:
December 12th 2022, 11:31pm
robatsu wrote:
December 10th 2022, 6:24pm
Ok, I’ll bite

I knew you were a smart dude!
2D799356-CAF3-4210-8821-9F131C519817.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”