I love America, I love Americans, I really do, but...

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: I love America, I love Americans, I really do, but...

Post by jason_recliner » November 2nd 2022, 5:08pm

Hawk wrote:
November 2nd 2022, 9:19am
Central Florida, home to reasonably priced single malt and outrageously priced home insurance.
Florida, eh? Everything I know about Florida comes from reading Carl Hiaasen novels. Is there a famous/iconic local tipple? Is moonshine still made? (although sending it internationally might be problematic) Lean?

Florida probably isn't wine country... Any local beer or a cheap whiskey would be sweet.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 2nd 2022, 5:52pm

Sending alcohol from one state to another can be a real pain in the ass. I can only assume that international just ratchets up the agita. Which is why I was digging around Oz liquor stores (or “stockists” as the Brits might say).

If time and funds allow I wouldn’t mind paying off in person in, say, Bangkok.

Oh, and Florida has a national and possibly international reputation as the home of Florida man (and Florida woman and Florida non-binary Nazgûl). This is generally blamed on our “Sunshine Law” which makes arrest records public but there may be more to it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Man
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 2nd 2022, 6:09pm

Hawk wrote:
November 2nd 2022, 5:52pm
Sending alcohol from one state to another can be a real pain in the ass. I can only assume that international just ratchets up the agita. Which is why I was digging around Oz liquor stores (or “stockists” as the Brits might say).

If time and funds allow I wouldn’t mind paying off in person in, say, Bangkok.

Oh, and Florida has a national and possibly international reputation as the home of Florida man (and Florida woman and Florida non-binary Nazgûl). This is generally blamed on our “Sunshine Law” which makes arrest records public but there may be more to it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Man
Aah, gotcha. I've sent wine to USA with no issues before, I'd be happy to do that. But yeah, if it's difficult sending from Florida, on the off chance that I win his thing, I'll send you a link to something from Dan Murphys(https://www.danmurphys.com.au/dm/home). Unfortunately not planning to be in bangkok until probably 2024. But I don't mind waiting :-)

If it thinks, it stinks
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 3rd 2022, 9:25am

Sounds like a plan. I believe the wager could easily go either way. The 36 million is, I reckon, easily achievable so it will likely boil down to a matter of time.

I suppose there’s an outside chance of the thing failing to resolve if Jones settles with the plaintiffs and they agree to a gag order on the terms. Such things have happened before but I can’t say “Jones” and “settlement” in the same sentence without some discomfort - it’s just not in his nature.

2024 in Thailand sounds good and there’s no reason not to do so regardless of the wager status.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 3rd 2022, 4:09pm

Hawk wrote:
November 3rd 2022, 9:25am
Sounds like a plan. I believe the wager could easily go either way. The 36 million is, I reckon, easily achievable so it will likely boil down to a matter of time.

I suppose there’s an outside chance of the thing failing to resolve if Jones settles with the plaintiffs and they agree to a gag order on the terms. Such things have happened before but I can’t say “Jones” and “settlement” in the same sentence without some discomfort - it’s just not in his nature.

2024 in Thailand sounds good and there’s no reason not to do so regardless of the wager status.
It's on! I don't like bets like this - I lose either way the settlement goes!

:dssd:

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 3rd 2022, 9:43pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 3rd 2022, 4:09pm
Hawk wrote:
November 3rd 2022, 9:25am

It's on! I don't like bets like this - I lose either way the settlement goes!

:dssd:
Although not as much as Alex Jones stands to lose.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 11th 2022, 5:03am

Hawk wrote:
November 10th 2022, 1:37pm
Punitive damages set at 473 million.

We can take the trillion off the table but he’s north of a billion by golly. At least on paper.
Why, that's about 90¢ an exposure, not bad at all. From what I gather, Florida judges are loath to second guess civil jury awards, much. Jones will likely be left to chase a ten figure judgment up the appeal chain that will presumably see most of his remaining assets, less set asides, expended on legal fees.

Regardless of the final amount the 15 plaintiffs ultimately receive, the case and the bankrupting of Jones will serve as a deterrent to those of his ilk — just like the death penalty.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 11th 2022, 5:24pm

What I don’t know - and finding out might cost me - is whether anything can be extracted during the appeals process. Does the whole mess go on hold or can the plaintiffs scalp a portion of the epic legal fees he’s going to be funding?

Now I go watch the 60 Minutes segment with Dominion again.

Edited to add a link to the 60 Minutes segment:
https://youtu.be/492jILlPtlA
Last edited by Hawk on November 11th 2022, 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 11th 2022, 6:24pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 11th 2022, 5:55pm
PM me your address Hawk. A McLaren Vale Shiraz will hopefully be there in time for Christmas.
I haven’t won yet and may not win at all. Save it and we’ll see how it goes.

Two years could easily see settlement happening in Bangkok in 2024. Mama will be staying home to watch the animals while papa the pensioner has a boys week off.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”