Hurricane Ian

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
ocean
Master of Time

Re: Hurricane Ian

Post by ocean » September 28th 2022, 5:16pm

Last meeting till 10:45 new rain estimated for the area 20-26”. Winds are steadily increasing nothing extreme yet. Lights have flickered a few times already nothing out of the normal acceptable range during a storm. The surf has really picked up in the last several hours.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » September 28th 2022, 5:25pm

ocean wrote:
September 28th 2022, 5:16pm
Last meeting till 10:45 new rain estimated for the area 20-26”. Winds are steadily increasing nothing extreme yet. Lights have flickered a few times already nothing out of the normal acceptable range during a storm. The surf has really picked up in the last several hours.
Damn. I was happy with .07" we received earlier.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » September 30th 2022, 1:46am

Well made it out of the shit! Been without power or cell service for close to a day. The emergency generator kicked on for emergency lights and such. In-laws have an about a foot of water on the 1st floor. My house came out unscathed from what I’ve been told. The fish camp we have is under about 7ft of water. The chuckie.cheese in Daytona was smashed from some of the reports I got. Widespread flooding for most of Daytona and county wide blackout as it was reported about 11:30 last night that only about 14,000 homes and businesses have power. Flooding will get worse in the next couple days due to rising river.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
smellody

Post by smellody » September 30th 2022, 6:33am

ocean wrote:
September 30th 2022, 1:46am
Well made it out of the shit! Been without power or cell service for close to a day. The emergency generator kicked on for emergency lights and such. In-laws have an about a foot of water on the 1st floor. My house came out unscathed from what I’ve been told. The fish camp we have is under about 7ft of water. The chuckie.cheese in Daytona was smashed from some of the reports I got. Widespread flooding for most of Daytona and county wide blackout as it was reported about 11:30 last night that only about 14,000 homes and businesses have power. Flooding will get worse in the next couple days due to rising river.
Wow! Glad you are ok despite being wet.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 1st 2022, 8:35pm

Last update for work. I get to work and first light have the police and building department in my office. I’m beat tired stressed out and wiped out.

The building is at this time condemned 300 feet of sea wall collapsed the tiki hut is down, the 125,000 gallon pool shifted the back of property is being washed out and eroded.

On Monday morning I’ll start the bidding process for a new wall and pool hopefully within 6 months we can reopen if the city allows.

I just don’t know how much I can take. I put a lot on my shoulders and I’m afraid that the city might just say no. The building was built in 1960-62 grand opening 1992ish went from hotel to condo/tel meaning that every unit has an owner 208 to be exact. As of the other day I had a positivity rate of about 72% which has been the highest since around 2001 2001-2016 was 40-50% since I came in it’s steadily increased till today. I’m sure 80% will want to backstab me.

This is not the only one on the that this happened to so that is in my benefit.

In the last three years without asking for extra money I have had all elevators restored and brought up to date. The whole exterior painted professionally rebuilt the tiki huts. Started on a completely new fire alarm system and upgraded sprinkler system. Replaced the worn out chiller system with a new one and was getting ready for the secondary system. New boiler and water heaters the place was a mess when I took over and it was starting to turn around in the last couple years prices per unit were 65k when I started 2 weeks ago a small studio apartment sold for 210k yes the market has changed but if the improvements weren’t done then it would have been considered a cheap shithole like when I took it over.
smellody

Post by smellody » October 1st 2022, 10:35pm

ocean wrote:
October 1st 2022, 8:35pm
Last update for work. I get to work and first light have the police and building department in my office. I’m beat tired stressed out and wiped out.

The building is at this time condemned 300 feet of sea wall collapsed the tiki hut is down, the 125,000 gallon pool shifted the back of property is being washed out and eroded.

On Monday morning I’ll start the bidding process for a new wall and pool hopefully within 6 months we can reopen if the city allows.

I just don’t know how much I can take. I put a lot on my shoulders and I’m afraid that the city might just say no. The building was built in 1960-62 grand opening 1992ish went from hotel to condo/tel meaning that every unit has an owner 208 to be exact. As of the other day I had a positivity rate of about 72% which has been the highest since around 2001 2001-2016 was 40-50% since I came in it’s steadily increased till today. I’m sure 80% will want to backstab me.

This is not the only one on the that this happened to so that is in my benefit.

In the last three years without asking for extra money I have had all elevators restored and brought up to date. The whole exterior painted professionally rebuilt the tiki huts. Started on a completely new fire alarm system and upgraded sprinkler system. Replaced the worn out chiller system with a new one and was getting ready for the secondary system. New boiler and water heaters the place was a mess when I took over and it was starting to turn around in the last couple years prices per unit were 65k when I started 2 weeks ago a small studio apartment sold for 210k yes the market has changed but if the improvements weren’t done then it would have been considered a cheap shithole like when I took it over.
How frustrating to have put blood, sweat, and tears into a place only for it to be destroyed in hours.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 1st 2022, 11:33pm

One fervently hopes that Lord Ocean is outside the purview of Miami-Dade with respect to rebuilding.

I was in Miami for Andrew and the hastily constructed building codes left in its wake were not only daunting but, in many cases, self-contradictory. A right proper steaming mess more often than not. Occasionally made worse by jurisdictions outside Miami-Dade incorporating the mess by reference.

One hopes the situation has resolved itself in the intervening years. I used to consult on the matter but I’m now hopelessly out of date. My memory is that I would not wish navigating that labyrinth on my worst enemy. In one early instance I proposed leap-frogging the absence of a tested roof door by supplying a blast door just to get the CO out of hostage. “Has it been tested by Miami-Dade?” No, but it is proven to resist a 15 KT nuclear air detonation at 2 KM. “Sorry, not good enough”. Fuck yourselves! “consultation terminated”.

And so it went.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » October 2nd 2022, 12:10am

Hawk wrote:
October 1st 2022, 11:33pm
One fervently hopes that Lord Ocean is outside the purview of Miami-Dade with respect to rebuilding.

I was in Miami for Andrew and the hastily constructed building codes left in its wake were not only daunting but, in many cases, self-contradictory. A right proper steaming mess more often than not. Occasionally made worse by jurisdictions outside Miami-Dade incorporating the mess by reference.

One hopes the situation has resolved itself in the intervening years. I used to consult on the matter but I’m now hopelessly out of date. My memory is that I would not wish navigating that labyrinth on my worst enemy. In one early instance I proposed leap-frogging the absence of a tested roof door by supplying a blast door just to get the CO out of hostage. “Has it been tested by Miami-Dade?” No, but it is proven to resist a 15 KT nuclear air detonation at 2 KM. “Sorry, not good enough”. Fuck yourselves! “consultation terminated”.

And so it went.
Quite so. I certainly hope that Lord Mr. O does OK. Here in the Pac NW, with absolutely zero horrific natural disasters, trying to find good contractors, with good workers and, FFS, building materials is next to impossible. I hear horror stories daily from my customers regarding this. I can't even imagine what the folks in FL will get by.

Good luck to you all.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 2nd 2022, 5:20am

Sent some of you the footage from one of my guys. Here’s some pictures from my friend Ginger of properties further north.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 2nd 2022, 5:25am

The last picture is actually pretty cool to me, the pink and yellow high rise is one of the last projects that I had before I got out of construction. I was there for about two years
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » October 2nd 2022, 8:45am

Ah crap… ^^ I meant on a personal level, since your home is okay.

But in a professional level - awe man… sorry for the horrendous reset. I completely understand the slow (-(and usually expensive) transformation of a condo-conversation - that really sucks. Sorry man.

Curious - what is positivity rate: does that quantify the owner occupancy?
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

MAX

Post by MAX » October 2nd 2022, 11:32am

O - would you give us the address of your property? Id like to see if it is anywhere close to the time share that we used to own. PM me if you dont want to put it public.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 3rd 2022, 10:36am

Nuvolari wrote:
October 2nd 2022, 8:45am
Ah crap… ^^ I meant on a personal level, since your home is okay.

But in a professional level - awe man… sorry for the horrendous reset. I completely understand the slow (-(and usually expensive) transformation of a condo-conversation - that really sucks. Sorry man.

Curious - what is positivity rate: does that quantify the owner occupancy?
Owner approval rating for my staff and myself. Between 2000 something and 2016 the changed managers and staff like a revolving door. Between 2018-22 I have only had to hire three times once when I had to let someone go, second was was when one retired and the last was the result of some extra budget added.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » October 3rd 2022, 1:37pm

What a mess. My mother’s home which is north of tampa got some minor wind damage which is amazing given she sits on a point overlooking the gulf.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 3rd 2022, 2:27pm

koimaster wrote:
October 3rd 2022, 1:37pm
What a mess. My mother’s home which is north of tampa got some minor wind damage which is amazing given she sits on a point overlooking the gulf.
It came in south by 50 miles or so.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » October 3rd 2022, 2:40pm

I thank God that there wasn’t a lot more death now that I have gotten to see pictures from the area. Pictures are from friends and businesses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”