it's still hot here

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

it's still hot here

Post by bbattle » September 25th 2022, 12:09pm

I love living here in the South but the Fall breezes are so nice after 7 months of high temps and high humidity. Humidity where you sweat as soon as you cross the threshold while taking the dog out at 5:30 in the morning. And it only gets worse as the day wears on.

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: it's still hot here

Post by jason_recliner » September 25th 2022, 9:08pm

Returned to Perth last night, this morning was our first brunch out in the sun in months. Enough winter, we're so ready for spring and summer. I just hope this summer is not as severe as the last.
Last edited by jason_recliner on September 25th 2022, 10:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » September 25th 2022, 10:39pm

I got as much sunshine as I could ever want - in fact, according to my skin cancer-abating dermatologist, more than I should have wanted - growing up near the coast in Southern California.

Now, it’s not the sun per se - it’s the heat it throws off! I’m fine anywhere anytime at any temperature - in the shade. There must be shade or I may erupt into a murderous rage.

But I’m a LOT happier when it’s cold or rainy or both and there seemed to be a lot more of it when I first moved to the Bay Area 29 years ago but haven’t seen real weather in fiveever.

A traditional fall would be nice… but who the hell knows anymore.

But humidity - awe man. No biggie in cool weather, but that really makes hot HOT! And just slightly grosser…
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » September 26th 2022, 3:25pm

Didn't Mark Twain say something like: "the coldest winter I endured was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

I spent two weeks in SF many years ago; only took the jacket off once.

We get tons of rain here; Alabama is number 5 on the "who gets the most rain" list. In fact, sometimes it rains like a cow pissin' on a flat rock.

Hurricane Ian has a shot at hitting us and maybe Florida; they dragged the Artemis rocket back into the hangar, just in case.

Meanwhile, here's a video about pickles:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMY8aPn485Q/youtube]
Last edited by bbattle on September 26th 2022, 3:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » September 27th 2022, 9:02am

ocean wrote:
September 26th 2022, 5:38pm
So how many people would actually live in the south if air conditioning wasn’t invented?

They should try living in the jungle area of the Philippines where electric fans are considered a luxury.

Oh yeah, remember it well. Shower & towel off, & towel off, & towel off, &

bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » September 27th 2022, 3:04pm

High of 80 today with lots of wind.

I lived many years without air conditioning; just a fan. Not something I wish to repeat.

It's not the heat, it is definitely the humidity.

Places like New Orleans and Houston that reside on the Gulf and at or below sea level, are truly the armpit of the country.

I lived in New Orleans for three years and only had a window unit that sorta-kinda worked. I only used it to cool the bedroom at night. The rest of the time, I used a window fan. But it was a big one, belt drive, and created quite the air flow. If you stayed lethargic and fortified with cold beer, it wasn't half bad.

In the winter, though, the humidity made it feel so damn cold it was downright satanic. 40F in Missouri and I'd put on a long sleeve shirt. 40F in New Orleans and I'm huddled over the gas heater, wondering why the heck it's so dang cold. Early Mardi Gras parades had everyone out on the street bundled up like we were in Alaska or Minnesota.

Looks like Ocean is getting the hurricane and it'll give my part of the world a miss.

Good luck to you, Ocean.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”