Queen Elizabeth has died - RIP

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Queen Elizabeth has died - RIP

Post by koimaster » September 8th 2022, 10:47am

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II has died at her Balmoral estate in Scotland, at age 96, Buckingham Palace said Thursday. She served as the constitutional monarch of the United Kingdom for 70 years, making her the longest-ruling monarch in British history.

Her reign spanned a remarkable arc in British history and was defined by duty to country and considerable family pain. Her death is a major milestone for the country, triggering an outpouring of national affection and grief.

It also comes at a time when the U.K. is transitioning from a deeply controversial prime minister, Boris Johnson, to a new one, Liz Truss, who just took over the job this week. The country faces skyrocketing inflation and the challenge of the biggest war in Europe since 1945.

Elizabeth was born into an empire on which the sun never set and was the country's last major figure with a connection to World War II, a searing, ultimately triumphant experience that, for some, continues to define the nation. On V-E Day in 1945, Elizabeth, then 19, described slipping out of Buckingham Palace to join the jubilant crowds.

"I remember lines of unknown people, linking arms and walking down Whitehall, all of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief," she recalled. "It was one of the most memorable nights of my life."

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/08/50779896 ... xBRzxWZ2K8

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Queen Elizabeth has died - RIP

Post by AlbertaTime » September 8th 2022, 11:17am

Was she perfect? No.

Me neither.

I liked her, and I'll miss her presence.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 8th 2022, 10:41pm

The day after 9/11, she had the Grenadier Guards play the Star Spangled Banner at the changing. A foreign anthem has never been played before or since. This brings tears to my old eyes. An act of friendship that will never be forgotten.

RIP to a grand old lady. There will always be an England.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DocKlock » September 9th 2022, 7:02am

My first memory of her was when I saw her Coronation live on TV . I went next door to my Polish neighbors, who spoke broken English to watch, in Black and White, of course.
My father thought TV was 'just a fad' and was heavily in to the radio.
She was a wonderful lady and, truly will be missed world wide.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » September 9th 2022, 7:42am

3Flushes wrote:
September 9th 2022, 1:47am
The queen is dead, long live the king.
I hope the latter works out. Too many frolics and infedelities for me to have any confidence. I just hope the world has confidence as the British Empire through their network of the commonwealth is about the only stability we have left on this planet.

We don't need opportunists taking advantage of weakness.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » September 9th 2022, 10:33am

It should also be noted that, in addition to being a car enthusiast, she also had a great sense of humor.

As confirmed by this great story rom Reuters:

The monarch was out in the hills near her Scottish castle at Balmoral when two U.S. tourists on a walking holiday approached and one of them engaged her in conversation, said former royal protection officer Richard Griffin, known as Dick.

The hiker asked the queen where she lived, so she said London, adding that she had a holiday home just over the hill and had been visiting the area for more than 80 years since she as a little girl. She did not say she was referring to Balmoral.

Aware that the castle was in the vicinity, the hiker then asked her if she had ever met the queen, Griffin said.
“Quick as a flash she said: ‘I haven’t, but Dick here meets her regularly’,” Griffin recounted on Sky News during celebrations of Elizabeth’s 70 years on the throne earlier this year.

The hiker than asked Griffin what the monarch was like in person.

“Because I was with her a long time and I knew I could pull her leg (tease her), I said ‘oh, she can be very cantankerous at times, but she’s got a lovely sense of humour’,” Griffin said.

Delighted, the hiker then put his arm around Griffin’s shoulder and asked if he could have a picture of the two of them together.

“Before I could see what was happening, he gets his camera and gives it to the queen and says ‘can you take a picture of us?’”

The queen obliged, and then Griffin took the camera and took a picture of her with the pair of hikers.

Later, Griffin said, the queen told him: “I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he shows those photographs to friends in America and hopefully someone tells him who I am.”
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

smellody

Post by smellody » September 9th 2022, 11:49am

Nuvolari wrote:
September 9th 2022, 10:33am
It should also be noted that, in addition to being a car enthusiast, she also had a great sense of humor.

As confirmed by this great story rom Reuters:

The monarch was out in the hills near her Scottish castle at Balmoral when two U.S. tourists on a walking holiday approached and one of them engaged her in conversation, said former royal protection officer Richard Griffin, known as Dick.

The hiker asked the queen where she lived, so she said London, adding that she had a holiday home just over the hill and had been visiting the area for more than 80 years since she as a little girl. She did not say she was referring to Balmoral.

Aware that the castle was in the vicinity, the hiker then asked her if she had ever met the queen, Griffin said.
“Quick as a flash she said: ‘I haven’t, but Dick here meets her regularly’,” Griffin recounted on Sky News during celebrations of Elizabeth’s 70 years on the throne earlier this year.

The hiker than asked Griffin what the monarch was like in person.

“Because I was with her a long time and I knew I could pull her leg (tease her), I said ‘oh, she can be very cantankerous at times, but she’s got a lovely sense of humour’,” Griffin said.

Delighted, the hiker then put his arm around Griffin’s shoulder and asked if he could have a picture of the two of them together.

“Before I could see what was happening, he gets his camera and gives it to the queen and says ‘can you take a picture of us?’”

The queen obliged, and then Griffin took the camera and took a picture of her with the pair of hikers.

Later, Griffin said, the queen told him: “I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he shows those photographs to friends in America and hopefully someone tells him who I am.”
Hee hee. Lovely story. Lovely person.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » September 9th 2022, 10:58pm

When Princess Elizabeth turned 18 in 1944, she insisted upon joining the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS), the women’s branch of the British Army. For several years during the war, Britain had conscripted women to join the war effort. Unmarried women under 30 had to join the armed forces or work on the land or in industry. King George made sure that his daughter was not given a special rank in the Army. She started as a second subaltern in the ATS and was later promoted to Junior Commander, the equivalent of Captain.

She was known as truck mechanic No. 230873 in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, and was based at the Mechanical Transport Training Section in Camberley, Surrey.

1946-2006

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » September 9th 2022, 11:17pm

koimaster wrote:
September 9th 2022, 10:58pm

When Princess Elizabeth turned 18 in 1944, she insisted upon joining the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS), the women’s branch of the British Army. For several years during the war, Britain had conscripted women to join the war effort. Unmarried women under 30 had to join the armed forces or work on the land or in industry. King George made sure that his daughter was not given a special rank in the Army. She started as a second subaltern in the ATS and was later promoted to Junior Commander, the equivalent of Captain.

She was known as truck mechanic No. 230873 in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, and was based at the Mechanical Transport Training Section in Camberley, Surrey.

Herein lays the tears I nearly shed yesterday while (whilst) watching the news about Good Queen Liz's passing. Every day, many more die who were the ones who fought the good fight, and won the Good War. Fascism was threatening republican democracy, and so many went to do their bit. It reminds me of the trim, almost youthful late 80 year old former B17 pilot I met once, who told me, as matter-of-factly that after he had flown his 25th mission, rather than going back to the States to train new pilots, he signed up for another twenty five missions over Germany, simply because he didn't want to leave his crew, as if this was as dangerous as crossing the street.

Millions upon millions of normal, everyday people saved the world back then. They did their bit. Not everyone of them was Audie Murphy, and damned few of them were heroes. They simply went to work, or to combat, and saved the fucking world.

Each time one of them passes, another link of the chain is broken. Good Queen Liz did her bit, and a lot more besides. God knows I'm no friend of the monarchy, but she was pretty goddamned special. We won't see her likes again.

There will always be an England.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » September 10th 2022, 3:04am

Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as i whispered that "I know"

I then turned and looked behind me,
and seen I was asleep.
All my Family were around me,
and I could hear them weep.

I gently touched each shoulder,
with Phillip by my side.
Then I turned away and walked,
with My Angel guide.

Phillip held my hand,
as he lead the way,
to a world where King's and Queens,
are Monarch's every day.

I was given a crown to wear
or a Halo known by some.
The difference is up here,
they are worn by everyone.

I felt a sense of peace,
my reign had seen its end.
70 years I had served my Country,
as the peoples friend.

Thank you for the years,
for all your time and love.
Now I am one of two again,
in our Palace up above.

Author - Joanne Boyle

1946-2006

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » September 11th 2022, 11:00pm

We have bunch of English women working in admin/accounting type roles at the office (the northern suburbs of Perth is basically South West England, except good). Not quite Pepperpots (Monty Python reference) but they will be in 10-20 years. They insist on starting every other sentence with "ooh...".

They start early (as do I, often) and that morning they were making inane statements to each other like:

"Oooh, who could of [sic] seen that comin'?"

and

"Ooooooh, if it could 'appen to 'er it could 'appen to any of us!"

The news has been full of nothing else for a week. Not sure why because apart from said pepperpot-to-bes nobody I know has given it more than a passing mention.

On the plus side, we're getting a public holiday to celebrate, so that's pretty sweet.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 12th 2022, 12:55am

smellody wrote:
September 9th 2022, 7:42am
3Flushes wrote:
September 9th 2022, 1:47am
The queen is dead, long live the king.
...We don't need opportunists taking advantage of weakness.
Indeed............

Although I believe Charles will be up to the task if our foreseeable times are to abide stability in any measure at all. I lack the confidence to think so.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » September 12th 2022, 2:40pm

Nick Mason (of Pink Floyd) and a Corgi look on as a WWII truck mechanic (retired) uses a rubber mallet to loosen the wheel nut on his Ferrari’s [‘knock off’] wire wheels:
3420900C-24EF-484B-A0E4-AD4AE8B977F2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

smellody

Post by smellody » September 12th 2022, 3:17pm

Nuvolari wrote:
September 12th 2022, 2:40pm
Nick Mason (of Pink Floyd) and a Corgi look on as a WWII truck mechanic (retired) uses a rubber mallet to loosen the wheel nut on his Ferrari’s [‘knock off’] wire wheels:

That appears to be a proper Thor hammer of copper and rawhide as supplied with Jaguars with wire wheels.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » September 12th 2022, 4:42pm

Nuvolari wrote:
September 12th 2022, 2:40pm

LoL

I hope you know that's not actually the queen!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”