Old people

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
MAX (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Old people

Post by MAX » April 16th 2022, 10:25am

Well, a lot of those things hold true for me but I find it harder and harder when I see how people act today towards each other. Hold the door, not even a nod, let someone into traffic, not even a wave, walk down the street and you have to move over to let people walk by you or come face to face, I dont wear a hat and now curse when I never used to. I find myself disliking the Gen Pop more and more.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » April 16th 2022, 6:27pm

Right this minute my primary hope for the republic resides on the shoulders of Gen Z.

I believe the list was compiled some long time ago. There’s a big difference between remembering WWII and remembering your parents or grandparents talking about it. I assume you would have to be at least 5 years of age in 1941 to remember the real thing and that might be a stretch.

I’m old and I can barely remember polio or Eisenhower.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » April 17th 2022, 5:00am

Hawk wrote:
April 16th 2022, 6:27pm
Right this minute my primary hope for the republic resides on the shoulders of Gen Z.

I believe the list was compiled some long time ago. There’s a big difference between remembering WWII and remembering your parents or grandparents talking about it. I assume you would have to be at least 5 years of age in 1941 to remember the real thing and that might be a stretch.

I’m old and I can barely remember polio or Eisenhower.

My clearest memories of Eisenhower? Nightly news - "The president played golf today..."
Dies mei sicut umbra declinaverunt
MAX (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » April 17th 2022, 7:00am

WWII ended on September 2nd, 1945 (Germany surrendered in May)just a few weeks short of my 4th birthday, Truman was president from 45-53 and Ike followed him so I definately remember them. FDR I think I remember hearing on the radio. I remember seeing or hearing the signing on the battleship Missouri but to be fair I may have seen it a while after it happened.
No way to be sure.
My Mom was always amazed at what I remembered from when I was 3.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Hawk (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » April 17th 2022, 7:05am

At 5 years old I had more pressing concerns than the goings on of the evening news. Truman was in office when I was 3 years old and I have zero recollection of it.

I do have a vague recollection of my first grade teacher rarely stumbling over the revised pledge of allegiance as the change was enacted that year.

We lived with my grandparents and it seemed the depression accounted for more stories than the war though it seemed like they viewed both events as closely coupled - one went from not having stuff to having it rationed relatively seamlessly.
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bedlam » April 17th 2022, 5:04pm

Old people seem to be pretty opinionated and full of themselves :-)
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”