From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Chilly today...

Post by smellody » January 6th 2022, 7:35pm

jason_recliner wrote:
January 6th 2022, 5:31pm
Da fuq? I recommend an induced coma until the weather warms up.
Hey _________, when it's that cold, your silly temperature 🌡 scale from down under deviates from the expected variance between each individual degree.

Hey Ron, I hope you are wearing thermal underwear!!!
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 6th 2022, 10:49pm

smellody wrote:
January 6th 2022, 7:35pm
jason_recliner wrote:
January 6th 2022, 5:31pm
Da fuq? I recommend an induced coma until the weather warms up.
Hey _________, when it's that cold, your silly temperature 🌡 scale from down under deviates from the expected variance between each individual degree.

I don't know what that means! Nevertheless, it's interesting (and uncomfortable) that it's +38C here today.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 6th 2022, 10:50pm

Yeah, we talk about dressing for it--but there's only so much you can do. Wrangler makes thinsulate lined jeans, and they're a huge help for the minute from from home to the car, and from the the car to work.

But I'm looking forward to spring. Weather folks say it won't likely go down below -45...so i guess I'm happy for that.

As an aside: my car is always equipped with RefrigiWare Iron-Tuff® hooded Coveralls, a -40 rated sleeping bag system, thermal insulation pads, chemical hand, body and foot warmers, face coverings, a couple of days of food and liquid (carried to and from the car to keep it liquid/fresh--and not frozen), -40 rated snow boots, a few sets of thermal base layers (polyester--not cotton), a battery booster that doubles as a USB power bank, candles, three pairs of thermal mitts, a few days of all my required meds, and a Kevlar bivy. And I never go anywhere in the winter with less than 3/4 of a tank of gas.

That's in case 1) I get stuck in the car or 2) we have a local bad power outage.

I take the cold seriously.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
MAX

Post by MAX » January 7th 2022, 5:26am

Ah, yes, -40C, where the C and F scale agree.

Never went out in the car when I lived in Montana without a survival kit in the trunk. Much like yours but not quite so well equipped. Walking to class mornings at -30f was not unusual.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 7th 2022, 6:57am

AlbertaTime knows his warm clothes; kind of a matter of life or death up in the Great White North.

I love my wool and silk long underwear. High today here will be +30F; I think I may survive.

Christmas was in the 70's. It was quite warm and humid. Then it rained for two days and then this:
winter 01-03-22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » January 7th 2022, 8:04am

Holy shit that is cold.
AlbertaTime wrote:
January 6th 2022, 10:50pm
Wrangler makes thinsulate lined jeans, and they're a huge help for the minute from from home to the car, and from the the car to work.
...... my car is always equipped with RefrigiWare Iron-Tuff® hooded Coveralls, a -40 rated sleeping bag system, thermal insulation pads, chemical hand, body and foot warmers, face coverings, a couple of days of food and liquid (carried to and from the car to keep it liquid/fresh--and not frozen), -40 rated snow boots, a few sets of thermal base layers (polyester--not cotton)
Yet no mention of a toque eh

I would have one of these stashed as a backup.... for acouple reasons

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » January 7th 2022, 10:05am

That's bunny boot weather if you need to be outside for any length of time. Those cold winds coming down from Alberta and Saskatchewan chased me out of the North Dakota/Montana oilfields after one winter.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 7th 2022, 6:42pm

codguy wrote:
January 7th 2022, 8:04am
Yet no mention of a toque eh

I would have one of these stashed as a backup.... for a couple reasons

Heh, toques are great for Mike Nesmith and southern Alberta--and that's a classy toque you're showing...

...but when not in my Refridgiware gear, this is what I wear. Way goofier looking than a toque--but much warmer, and the bottom flaps connect to protect the chin. I keep one with me and, like, two more in the car, eh. (For southerners, the big furry bit is over the forehead, with the dangles for the ears).

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » January 7th 2022, 9:41pm

55F at almost midnight. This is when the rest of the country is pissed at Florida.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 7th 2022, 9:50pm

ocean wrote:
January 7th 2022, 9:41pm
55F at almost midnight. This is when the rest of the country is pissed at Florida.
Yep, that's what people focusing on the maximum temperature don't understand. The nights are heavenly.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 7th 2022, 10:49pm

jason_recliner wrote:
January 7th 2022, 9:50pm
Yep, that's what people focusing on the maximum temperature don't understand. The nights are heavenly.
Heavenly...like the summers here :-) That's one common reason we put up with the winters.

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 7th 2022, 11:56pm

I recall one time living in Chicago; the temp dropped down to around -20 degrees, perhaps a bit more. I was driving home from work in my vintage Cadillac Coupe de Ville, on which the only thing that worked was the heater. Thus, with a 500 CID engine, at highway speed, the Caddy's heater couldn't keep up with the cold.

By the time I got home, I was so cold that when I went into my house, I grabbed a bottle of Remy Martin and poured myself a stiff shot--mind you, I had read of folks who drank a swill of cognac to ward off the cold, but this was the first time I'd done so. After a few sips, I stopped shaking, and fired up a decent Nicaraguan cigar and relaxed.

I have never been that cold before or since.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 8th 2022, 8:21pm

Nuvolari (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » January 9th 2022, 9:26am

I know what you mean - it’s forty here, too. Brrr!
30B823B6-0E4B-4FB0-89D7-E1A2D6599638.jpeg
But… why do the people at the home of RUSH use a ‘dash’ all the time?

Is it cause a da metric systems? :lol:
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » January 9th 2022, 10:32am

It’s a balmy 78F degrees currently in Daytona. Getting ready to head out for a quick fishing trip. Our two weeks of winter show up at the end of January or beginning of February.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”