Eddie Albert: Hero of the Battle of Tarawa

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Eddie Albert: Hero of the Battle of Tarawa

Post by koimaster » November 22nd 2021, 9:12pm

Eddie Albert Heimberger was born on April 22, 1906 and grew up in Minneapolis Minnesota. Eddie moved to New York in 1933 to pursue a career and entertainment. With a successful career in radio, stage performance and film Eddie Heimberger left all that behind to join the military.

On September 9, 1942, Eddie Albert enlisted in the United States Coast Guard and was discharged in 1943 to accept an appointment as a Lieutenant in the US Naval Reserve.

During the Battle of Tarawa, Lieutenant Albert earned a Bronze Star with Combat "V". He fought in the first wave of combat that lasted for three days. After most of the shooting was over, he was sent back to the site of the battle to salvage any equipment he could find. Due to the coral reefs in the area, Marines weren't able to land directly on the beach and had to get off their boats 500 yards from shore. Enemy combatants started picking them off, and soon the waters were filled with over 100 wounded and many more dead. Albert disregarded his mission to grab equipment and began pulling marines to safety. He took 47 in total, and oversaw the rescue of 30 more. (Source: US National Archive)

After the war Eddie returned to acting and had a successful career starring in such productions as Oklahoma!, Roman Holiday, The Longest Day, The Longest Yard and of course his television comedy Green Acres.

Despite his accomplishments in acting, Albert went on record to say that the day he served as a Landing Craft Commander at Tarawa was the accomplishment that meant the most to him.

Lieutenant Eddie Albert passed away on May 26, 2005 at the age of 99. He lies in rest at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles California.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Eddie Albert: Hero of the Battle of Tarawa

Post by conjurer » November 22nd 2021, 11:30pm

Interestingly, Eddie Albert's best role was in the 1956 movie Attack, where he played a cowardly US Army officer in the Battle of the Bulge. Made by great director Robert Aldrich, there is a scene where costar Jack Palance has his arm run over by a Panzer, and yet still is able to get back to the OP to try to kill Albert with his .45 side arm. Alas, Palance died almost immediately, but one of the other officers was able to frag Albert before he was able to surrender to the SS and get murdered. A fine and neglected anti-war movie from a time when such movies were rare.

As usual, the old generation turned into total bad-asses when their numbers were drawn. Hopefully, he got plenty of blowjobs from Eva Gabor during downtimes when he wasn't riding a tractor.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 24th 2021, 5:51am

I think it's super that you guys idolise men who who died before you were born because they were celebrities who enlisted. I do, I really do. But I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, the war effort contributions of regular working Joes, that possibly made an equal or even greater impact, are not being recognised amongst the fawning and virtual reach-arounds. Just as an example, and not wishing to draw attention to myself, but what about me? I didn't enlist per se, but I work my knuckles to the bone in the mines so that our soldiers can protect us. I'm staying at a mine camp that doesn't even offer free range eggs or kimchi. Where's my internet watch forum post? You could argue that I mostly work from an office in Perth, far from the actual mine, but how is that any different from the Hollywood star (or starlet) fighting at the front, far from Beverley Hills?
Last edited by jason_recliner on November 24th 2021, 7:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » November 24th 2021, 7:50am

bbattle wrote:
November 24th 2021, 7:40am
I bet there's quite a few celebrities from Down Under that served with distinction.
Quite so, BBattle, you're absolutely right. But what about the anonymous Heroes, the men like me? The men who fought - or did other things - with quiet indignity. Where's our fucking parade or homoerotically charged watch forum posts?
Last edited by jason_recliner on November 24th 2021, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 24th 2021, 10:24am

jason_recliner wrote:
November 24th 2021, 7:50am
bbattle wrote:
I bet there's quite a few celebrities from Down Under that served with distinction.
Quite so, BBattle, you're absolutely right. But what about the anonymous Heroes, the men like me? The men who fought - or did other things - with quiet indignity. Where's our fucking parade or homosexually charged watch forum posts?
Do you mean bogans who indulge in prodigious drinking, masturbation and fornication? Well, that certainly makes you my hero, Tobes!
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » November 24th 2021, 8:32pm

bbattle wrote:
Crocodile Dundee was in the war?
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » November 24th 2021, 8:55pm

jason_recliner wrote:
November 24th 2021, 7:50am
bbattle wrote:
Quite so, BBattle, you're absolutely right. But what about the anonymous Heroes, the men like me? The men who fought - or did other things - with quiet indignity. Where's our fucking parade or homoerotically charged watch forum posts?
You certainly are a hero, no doubt about that. But the nature of being anonymous and unsung is the necessity of not being identified or having your praises (and again, I feel we’re unanimous in agreeing that they are numerous) sung. That’s just one of those definition deals.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”