Airman Snuffy' Was Real and a Total Badass

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Airman Snuffy' Was Real and a Total Badass

Post by koimaster » July 6th 2021, 6:19pm

For decades, Air Force military training instructors have been using the example of an "Airman Snuffy" in preparing new trainees for the active Air Force. He (or she) is your average, everyday airman, working in the Air Force.

"Airman Snuffy is working the CQ desk one night when an MTI shows up without his CAC [ID card]," the Air Force training instructor would say. "What should Airman Snuffy do when the MTI demands to be let in?"

These are the questions that make trainee airmen sweat in their sleep.

Airman Snuffy is at times an instructional figure, showing young recruits how to do things. At other times, he's a cautionary tale, illustrating the potential dangers of making poor decisions while wearing the uniform.

The real Airman Snuffy, Maynard Smith, was both of those things and more; when Smith was notified that he was awarded the Medal of Honor, he was on KP duty as a punishment. Nothing could be more illustrative of his military career.

https://www.military.com/history/origin ... _210706.nl

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Airman Snuffy' Was Real and a Total Badass

Post by Mark1 » July 6th 2021, 7:13pm

I went through AF basic in 1984. I still remember pulling dorm guard duty. You patrolled the dorm watching for fires, etc. in 2 hour shifts at night. There was an access list of those allowed entry. Outside MTI's would mess with you and try to get you to let them enter. You learned through others not to do it. Still remember the "Sir, may I see your authority to enter, access badge, or military ID card?. I bet anyone who went to AF basic remembers, Airman, give me a 341!.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 6th 2021, 8:50pm

Mark1 wrote:
July 6th 2021, 7:13pm
I went through AF basic in 1984. I still remember pulling dorm guard duty. You patrolled the dorm watching for fires, etc. in 2 hour shifts at night. There was an access list of those allowed entry. Outside MTI's would mess with you and try to get you to let them enter. You learned through others not to do it. Still remember the "Sir, may I see your authority to enter, access badge, or military ID card?. I bet anyone who went to AF basic remembers, Airman, give me a 341!.
:Thumbsup: I carried several of them on me and had the “honor” of the first shirt demanding one and being rewarded with 3 days of kp.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 7th 2021, 4:36am

Have no clue what a 341 is being a Navy guy and all, some sort of demerit??

Cecil=
I still find it humorous being chastised by a First Sargent at my first AF school in Wichita Falls Texas (hell, I didn't even know what a First Sargent was). Yep, he was quite unhappy with the fact I was not in compliance with AFR 3510 (AF grooming regulation) and really became agitated when I told him I had no clue what a 3510 was..........

my newly growing beard stayed just to piss him off.

Super-Spreaders traveling to meca.....

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » July 7th 2021, 7:16am

I googled one up. You guessed it pretty close Cod. Training status airmen would fill these out, any officer or NCO who witnessed any transgression would request one from a trainee. They would note your sin and send it on to your squadrons first sergeant, who would determine corrective action administered. Koi did kp in his case, the only time I did kp was actually alright. I was in an all male squadron, they made me and some others from my flight do kp for the beat & blow squadron (drum and bugle corps) which was coed. This was the only time we had seen girls in weeks. My nephew, who went through basic five years ago said they still use this form.

See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » July 7th 2021, 10:41am

Mark1 wrote:
July 7th 2021, 7:16am
from my flight
Flight..... another memory from Sheppard AFB, never heard that AF term before this TAD/TDY either.

------> Continued Cecil thus adding to my post count=

Same First Sargent wanted me (E-3 at the time) to march to my loadmaster school in formation by Flight.
I respectfully told him my bootcamp days were well behind me, was done marching and there solely to attend my class.

A quick call to the Naval Reserve Unit in Wichita Falls (responsible for USN students at Sheppard) took care of that issue... no formation/flight, got me moved into NCO VAQ lodging (Cooper Hall) complete with a daily house keeping service & NCO club privileges.

To be fair, I was the first non-NCO squid to be temporarily assigned to that base, all other USN students attending the school were E-5 & above previously.

Fucking Navy, always bucking the system & pushing the issues.......

Super-Spreaders traveling to meca.....

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » July 7th 2021, 4:57pm

Flight is the lowest level in the AF command structure. I remember an acronym from basic as well. How Many Airmen Will Get Sex First. Don't know if they've changed it but this is how it went in 1984.

How H= Headquarters Air Force
Many M= Major Commands
Airmen A= Numbered Air Forces
Will W= Wing
Get G= Group
Sex S= Squadron
First F= Flight.

Funny the stuff you remember.
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » July 9th 2021, 6:53am

Mark1 wrote:
July 6th 2021, 7:13pm
Man...I went though the EXACT same thing in 1980.
"godamnit boy, let me in!"

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”