Advice from millennials and gen. z's to boomers.

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Advice from millennials and gen. z's to boomers.

Post by Falstaff » June 11th 2021, 8:34am

jason_recliner wrote:
June 10th 2021, 11:06pm
Falstaff wrote:
June 10th 2021, 3:42pm
jason_recliner wrote:
June 10th 2021, 3:26pm
Masshole wrote:
June 10th 2021, 2:51pm
Yah. I don’t give a rats ass what any lazy ass entitled millennial says or thinks. When most of them talk to me and try to give me their advice, I’m lookin get them thinking “shut your fucking pie hole”
Where do you get the idea that millenials are lazy? We've been born into a world of economic rationalism and, at least here in Australia, been significantly locked out of markets such as real estate because resources are disporportionately held by boomers. We have to work hard for everything we have, men and women, because prices are high due to artificial scarcity, and wage growth has not followed productivity growth. Millenial men and women, because gone are the days when one parent can afford to stay at home and manage the household.
Falstaff wrote:
June 10th 2021, 2:11pm
What they fail to realize is that not only do we not care about what they think isn't cool - we simply don't care whether we're cool or not.
Yeah, nah. You do.

Discuss!

:221:
Out of courtesy, I just checked - I don't.
Sure you do. But that's ok.

Some challenges adjusting to the realisation that you're getting old, that you're no longer the man you once were, that you're past your prime (if you will) are inevitable. It wouldn't be easy coming to the realisation that, as you grey, go bald, get out of shape, the women to whom you're attracted no longer view you as a figure of any masculinty or strength, but rather some kind of old, asexual creature. To be looked after, respected perhaps, but also mollified, patronised. And never desired. It wouldn't be easy to know that the only way you'll be with a physically attractive woman is via exchange of that flaunted yet tightly held wealth, either by hooking up with a poorer woman, possibly from a third-world country, or possibly by more direct and shorter-term exchange of money for flesh. Now, and forever more.

But there's hope. Resentment towards the younger, fitter, smarter generation isn't inevitable. You don't have to be the bitter, greedy, unpleasant ogre, attended to only by those seeking something in exchange. Allow yourself to be the feeble yet kindly old git, loved and cherished by all. You'll be happier. And, you know what? You'll be cooler.

Discuss!

**(@

(I'll get my coat)

That's one of the many conceits of the millennials - they labor under the illusion we care what they think. Another is to imagine sex drive somehow defines one's power or strength. Of course, to be fair, if you have no money or prospects, sex is a cheap form of entertainment, so it's no wonder they accord it such outsized importance. Yet another conceit is to imagine we somehow resent them for their youth. In truth, far from resenting them, they furnish no end of amusement with their sense of entitlement and whining about lack of opportunity. It's their lack of perspective that makes 'em so funny. Still further, as the link I posted illustrates, they presume that they can dictate the rules of what's "in" or "out" and require us to comply. That's why the 18 to 54 year old demographic is so important to advertisers - they are most susceptible to manipulation, as they're still seeking status and validation. Boomers? We've been there, done that and are over it. We don't have to prove anything to anyone. As to the reins of power, you're not going to talk or whine us out of them - not to mention that Gen X is in line in front of you. We'll let you know when you may have them. Until then - it's "cold dead hands".

Intending no offense of course, Signore Recliner - you are pukka sahib in my book....
"When you have to shoot - shoot, don't talk!"

Tuco
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » June 11th 2021, 3:08pm

The thing is, us Millennials (technically I'm generation Y, or X, I don't know, but I'm cuspial, and Sarah's Millennial, so I'm assuming my de facto Millennial birthright), we cop it from both ends. We have senile fuddy duddy boomers whinging about how we're lazy and can't do anything, even though we invented the internet, hip-hop, Covid vaccine, and cooking shows as we know them today. And then we have the generation z, and now the alphas, telling us we're old, boring, and not cool enough.
The difference between us Millennials and other generations, what makes us the Greatest Generation... Useless boomers complain about us, alphas who don't know any better complain about us, but we don't give a fuck. We just get on with our lives, taking care of the business of running the world. The barbs of those that don't walk in our shoes bounce off our thick hides, we would never stoop so low as to fire shots back. That's why there are no lists about how much boomers suck, or how much generation z sucks. Instead, we are content to bathe in the warm glow of our mutual adulation :-)
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » June 11th 2021, 5:28pm

Wait, Millennials invented cooking shows, the internet, and the Wuhan flu? Color me, Al Gore, Julia Child, and delicious bat salesman Yu Chu impressed! Your generation truly rocks, and we may have to rethink this whole Greatest Generation moniker for those underachieving douchebags who stormed the beaches at Normandy. Lazy bastards.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » June 11th 2021, 5:36pm

A couple of years back, I was hiring for a professional position requiring licensure and a masters degree. The position was salary. My expectation of salary is you are at your desk a minimum of 40 hours between 8 and 5 and you are expected to work as late or early or on the weekends as necessary to do your job and everyone else's. The person was 29... so must be a Gen Y'er. The person I wanted, wanted to work 28 hours a week and get full pay. . . WTH???

I said thanks, but NO THANKS!
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 11th 2021, 7:22pm

Bob Kahn was born in 1938 and Vint Cerf was born in 1943. J.C.R. Licklider was born in 1915.

Tim Berners-Lee was born in 1955 (that's pure Boomer).

Check your history, Jason.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on June 11th 2021, 8:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 11th 2021, 7:37pm

Coke La Rock and DJ Cool Herc were born in 1955. That's pure Boomer.

Bill Fatback Curtis - born 1932.

Wonder Mike: 1957 / Master Gee 1962 (Booooooomers)

DJ Hollywood - 1954.

Check your history, Jason.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on June 11th 2021, 8:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 11th 2021, 7:42pm

Katalin Karako was born in 1955 - pure Boomer.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mrna-va ... us-2020-12

Julia Child was born in 1912. Sorry, Jason...not even Cooking Shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_show

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 11th 2021, 8:05pm

jason_recliner wrote:
June 11th 2021, 7:59pm
It was, like, a joke, man!
Sure was :-)

bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 11th 2021, 9:05pm

smellody wrote:
June 11th 2021, 5:36pm
A couple of years back, I was hiring for a professional position requiring licensure and a masters degree. The position was salary. My expectation of salary is you are at your desk a minimum of 40 hours between 8 and 5 and you are expected to work as late or early or on the weekends as necessary to do your job and everyone else's. The person was 29... so must be a Gen Y'er. The person I wanted, wanted to work 28 hours a week and get full pay. . . WTH???

I said thanks, but NO THANKS!
American hours are on the high end. Not a criticism, just observation. 38hrs PW are fairly standard in Oz, and we get half a dozen public holidays, a week of sick leave, and many get 4 weeks annual leave. People would often also get a higher pay rate if you wanted them outside of core hours, like on nights or weekends.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » June 12th 2021, 3:48am

jason_recliner wrote:
June 11th 2021, 5:55am
It seems like this generational comparison, bordering on competition, has become overly complicated.
I understand the need to address skewed balances of wealth and how to restore it in a way that doesn't involve tremendous state intervention or discriminatory taxation; Marxist policies just lead to avoidance, evasion and inefficiency (think 1970s). However, by witlessly screaming "ok, boomer" at half a billion or so people and blaming them for all the world's ills, that doesn't make you socially responsible, it just makes you a placard-waving, slogan-yelling retard. If this post just enrages "millennials" further, then they're in the latter camp and the "competition" will never be won. At least, until they raise an army and go on globally-coordinated home invasions to enforce the redistribution of wealth by means of violence. Now THAT would be putting your money when your mouth is!
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » June 12th 2021, 4:23am

Pubbie wrote:
June 12th 2021, 3:48am
jason_recliner wrote:
June 11th 2021, 5:55am
It seems like this generational comparison, bordering on competition, has become overly complicated.
I understand the need to address skewed balances of wealth and how to restore it in a way that doesn't involve tremendous state intervention or discriminatory taxation; Marxist policies just lead to avoidance, evasion and inefficiency (think 1970s). However, by witlessly screaming "ok, boomer" at half a billion or so people and blaming them for all the world's ills, that doesn't make you socially responsible, it just makes you a placard-waving, slogan-yelling retard. If this post just enrages "millennials" further, then they're in the latter camp and the "competition" will never be won. At least, until they raise an army and go on globally-coordinated home invasions to enforce the redistribution of wealth by means of violence. Now THAT would be putting your money when your mouth is!
Ok, boomer.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » June 12th 2021, 8:07am

Born in '69, so I am caught somewhere in between.
All I can say to the younger generation: When I was younger I could also not afford all the shit I ever wanted.
Other than that, some brilliant rants here, like always. 👍
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » June 12th 2021, 8:09am

P.S. I must be half millennial cause I could not get myself to go through the complete list, lost interest after the thing about cable tv and writing checks...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 12th 2021, 8:40pm

Pubbie wrote:
June 12th 2021, 3:48am
I understand the need to address skewed balances of wealth and how to restore it in a way that doesn't involve tremendous state intervention or discriminatory taxation; Marxist policies just lead to avoidance, evasion and inefficiency (think 1970s).
Cool story Bro :Thumbsup:
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » June 13th 2021, 7:42am

Millennials will grow up, start making more money, and then they'll be complaining about how entitled and soft Generation A and B are.

I remember the shock of my classmates when they graduated college in the '80's and their starting salary was not in the six figures. They expected to be able to move into a house just like their parents had, drive a nice car, and go on vacations around the world.

Archeologists found a clay jar with an inscription on it complaining about how lazy and worthless the younger generation was. The jar was over 2,000 years old.

Some things never change.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » June 15th 2021, 10:50am

smellody wrote:
June 15th 2021, 10:28am
JAS1125 wrote:
June 15th 2021, 10:26am
FB_IMG_1623777864382.jpg
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Then ask them to parallel park (without their automatic parking aids).
Who needs to parallel park? Uber takes care of that.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”