My two bits worth

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

My two bits worth

Post by Mark1 » March 27th 2021, 6:16pm

What are two bits worth? One quarter of a dollar American. The older guys here will recognize the term, my dad used it all the time. You youngsters or foreigners may need to google it. The US mint has been doing an America the Beautiful series on their quarters for over ten years now. This series commemorates National Parks and Historic Sites all throughout the US. The 56th, and final coin in the series salutes The Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site in Alabama. I have a thing for P51's which were flown by the Tuskegee Airmen and others in WWII. If you've ever heard a P51 roar by with its Rolls-Royce Merlin engine you'll know why I appreciate them. My current avatar is a P51 painted up in the colors the Tuskegee Airmen made famous. I don't really collect coins but I have a few. I recently added several rolls of the Tuskegee Airmen quarters to my non-collection. Sorry about the crappy picture, someday I will buy a decent macro lens.

See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
labman (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Re: My two bits worth

Post by labman » March 27th 2021, 6:25pm

Very cool - my dad is a numismatist.

Coins are a great, but unfortunately dying hobby as is model making.

The P51 Mustang was and is one of my favorite models to put together.

The F4 Phantom is my next favorite to put together.

Sorry for the Cecil.

Looking forward to your macros.
MAX

Post by MAX » March 28th 2021, 5:24am

Yeah, if you think coin collecting is dying out, try being a stamp collector. As both a numismatist and a philatelist (and a model builder) I sometimes feel Im one of the last of a dying breed. Kids today just have too many time filling activities to be interested in or need either. Shame, I attribute my Jeopardy skills to what I learned from both hobbies. Big money also somewhat ruined both. Coins and stamps became investments and the prices shot up locking out the little guy.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DocKlock » March 28th 2021, 5:28am

There certainly is a 'magical' sound to the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. I've heard them at Air Shows and also many years ago at a local lake that raced Unlimited Hydroplanes. Now the Hydroplanes are powered by turbines that don't have that nostalgic sound.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » March 28th 2021, 8:25am

Very nice! I do remember the series from my visits in Oregon, but my last stay there was in Summer 2013. Fucking long time ago. Indeed, I had to google the thing about "two bits".
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 28th 2021, 10:25am

codguy wrote:
March 28th 2021, 6:51am
Pretty cool the US Mint is producing these coins and honoring the Tuskegee Airmen.

FWIW-
The P-51 Mustang & the F4U Corsairs are two of my favorite piston powered fighters of all time.
Mine as well but I would add the P-38 lightning, P-47 thunderbolt and P-40 kittyhawk to the list as well.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX

Post by MAX » March 29th 2021, 3:53am

Dont forget the "shave and a haircut, two bits" knock on the door.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”