Flight Status

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Flight Status

Post by koimaster » March 11th 2021, 10:24pm

In the winter of 1968, a Boeing 707, heavy with American troops and body bags, took rounds of antiaircraft fire immediately upon takeoff from Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon. At once, a right engine burst into flames. It was the middle of the Tet Offensive, when coordinated Viet Cong raids pounded American installations in South Vietnam. A GI sitting by the wing spotted the engine fire outside his window and caught the attention of one of the stewardesses, Gayle Larson, then 25 years old, who sped to the front to alert the cockpit crew of three.

The flight engineer raced into the cabin to inspect. As Larson remembers, the planeload of GIs was unimpressed, “paying no attention to the disaster outside the cabin windows.” The flight was redirected from its original destination — some holiday spot in the Pacific: maybe Hong Kong, Bangkok or Tokyo, no one remembers now — and instead flew to Clark Air Base in the Philippines. The 707 was a first-generation long-distance jet with four engines, but it could fly on just three. In an all-economy configuration, it could carry 180 GIs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine ... rc404=true

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Flight Status

Post by Mark1 » March 12th 2021, 12:09am

The Boeing 707 airframe is the same one I worked on until retiring from the Air Force Reserve in 2007. The KC-135R tanker is the last iteration of the jet that Tex Johnston barrel rolled over Lake Washington at the Sea Fair races in 1955. You can Google it if you wish. After a series of updates the KC-135R is still flying today. I worked on models that were built before I was born. They don't make airplanes like that anymore. The KC-135 and the B-52 stand out as airframes that stood the test of time. Each flying well beyond 50 years after their initial operation. Anyone remember Dr. Strangelove?. The movie came out in the 1960's but that airplane is still flying today.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 12th 2021, 1:05am

You would see them fly into Tan Son Nhut along with the stretch DC-8s like the one I flew into Da Nang. Good old flying tiger airlines and travis afb.

The buff is indestructible. Imagine an aircraft almost 70 years old and the beatings they take on those airframes. And they could lose 3 or 4 engines on each wing and still stay airborne.

1946-2006

Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » March 12th 2021, 4:42am

Mark1 wrote:
March 12th 2021, 12:09am
The Boeing 707 airframe is the same one I worked on until retiring from the Air Force Reserve in 2007. The KC-135R tanker is the last iteration of the jet that Tex Johnston barrel rolled over Lake Washington at the Sea Fair races in 1955. You can Google it if you wish. After a series of updates the KC-135R is still flying today. I worked on models that were built before I was born. They don't make airplanes like that anymore. The KC-135 and the B-52 stand out as airframes that stood the test of time. Each flying well beyond 50 years after their initial operation. Anyone remember Dr. Strangelove?. The movie came out in the 1960's but that airplane is still flying today.
Wow. Did not know this. Saw the first 707 at the Smithsonian at Dulles.

The aforementioned barrel roll:
https://www.facebook.com/seattletimes/v ... 017006215/
Randy in Nashville
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » March 12th 2021, 6:13am

And a shoutout for the C-130 Hercules.
Came into service in 1956, is the longest continuously produced military aircraft at over 60 years.......... and are still being flown to this day.

Great to see older airframes equipped with modern parts (avionics, engines, etc) still doing their duty.

bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » March 12th 2021, 1:17pm

Aren't the AWACS all converted 707's?

I got to visit Tinker AFB a couple of years ago and go into the building where they refurbished the AWACS. Building is over a mile long and was used to manufacture aircraft during WWII. They stripped those planes down to bare fuselage, then put them back together after fixing/replacing/upgrading whatever. Pretty cool to see.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 12th 2021, 1:31pm

bbattle wrote:
March 12th 2021, 1:17pm
Aren't the AWACS all converted 707's?

I got to visit Tinker AFB a couple of years ago and go into the building where they refurbished the AWACS. Building is over a mile long and was used to manufacture aircraft during WWII. They stripped those planes down to bare fuselage, then put them back together after fixing/replacing/upgrading whatever. Pretty cool to see.
E-3 Sentry aircraft which is the Boeing 707 is what we use still I think. There have been 767 versions but I do not think they are for use with US forces. E-2 Hawkeye is Navy and is carrier based for the most part.

1946-2006

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 12th 2021, 4:41pm

Here is a picture from my old unit with our tanker and some ANG F15s over the Oregon Coast.

And one near Mt. Hood

See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”