Oops! A-8 loses driver

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Oops! A-8 loses driver

Post by koimaster » March 3rd 2021, 9:02pm

Sorry, meant the F-8 Crusader. Photo taken 20 miles south of the carrier this aircraft was launched from. 1965, pilot survived, aircraft did not. The crud is not to be mistaken for a sluf.

https://www.historynet.com/last-gunfigh ... usader.htm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Re: Oops! A-8 loses driver

Post by koimaster » March 5th 2021, 12:30pm

3Flushes wrote:
March 4th 2021, 12:31pm
What an incredible pic- they even caught the canopy.
Yep. Wonder if another crud driver took the photo.

1946-2006

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Mark1 » March 5th 2021, 3:46pm

The story didn't say what was going on in the photo. I suspect there was a known problem well before the eject. The accident aircraft has his gear and tail hook down. Both aircraft have their speed brakes deployed, indicating a slow airspeed is intentional. Probably slowed down so pilot could eject at slowest possible speed. The fact that the photo exists tells me his wingman and the other aircraft (that took the picture) were keeping an eye on him. They likely observed the ditching, reported their position, and circled over their buddy until the rescue helicopter got on scene.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 5th 2021, 4:51pm

Mark1 wrote:
March 5th 2021, 3:46pm
The story didn't say what was going on in the photo. I suspect there was a known problem well before the eject. The accident aircraft has his gear and tail hook down. Both aircraft have their speed brakes deployed, indicating a slow airspeed is intentional. Probably slowed down so pilot could eject at slowest possible speed. The fact that the photo exists tells me his wingman and the other aircraft (that took the picture) were keeping an eye on him. They likely observed the ditching, reported their position, and circled over their buddy until the rescue helicopter got on scene.
Sorry, the aircraft was damaged by Anti aircraft fire over Hanoi

1946-2006

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » March 6th 2021, 12:03am

koimaster wrote:
March 5th 2021, 4:51pm
Mark1 wrote:
March 5th 2021, 3:46pm
Sorry, the aircraft was damaged by Anti aircraft fire over Hanoi
As I guessed from the photo he was accompanied by four other F8's to watch over his crippled aircraft. Lt. Jack Terhune managed to get feet wet (20 miles over the the gulf of Tonkin) after being shot up over land by a Zuni rocket. Trying to fly as close to the "boat" as possible, he was forced to eject after the total loss of hydraulic fluid rendered his aircraft incapable of landing on the carrier. Read the story below and you will see he was rescued by a helicopter dispatched from the USS Coral Sea. Amazing what one can surmise with a little common sense and 20 years of working on military aircraft.

https://theaviationist.com/2018/03/25/p ... etnam-war/
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 6th 2021, 12:24am

Good work. I copied what had been posted but the entire story link was not included. Jumping from an aircraft is easy, being ejected is not something I want to try.

1946-2006

codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » March 6th 2021, 7:46am

Mark1 wrote:
March 6th 2021, 12:03am
he was rescued by a helicopter dispatched from the USS Coral Sea.
Cecil
Ah yes, noble warship CV-43. She was the first ship I deployed on and the only one with I did with Crusaders onboard.
Had some old airframes on her during that cruise; A-3, A-7, F-8, F-4, H-3, E-2 and our C-2.

Brings back some grand memories........ like zero air-conditioning, JP-5 flavored drinking water and the occasional salt water shower (saving fresh water for catapults).

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » March 6th 2021, 9:12am

codguy wrote:
March 6th 2021, 7:46am

Brings back some grand memories........ like zero air-conditioning, JP-5 flavored drinking water and the occasional salt water shower (saving fresh water for catapults).
That's why reasonable people join the Air Force. :)**
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 6th 2021, 11:13pm

A SLUF, Crud, Double Ugly, Jolly Green Giant, super fudd which a reservist I know told me is now called hummer. He is involved with avionics, works on growlers?

Been a very long time but I thought the cod and hawkeye shared the same air frame?

1946-2006

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”