Bogus calls

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Bogus calls

Post by DocKlock » February 18th 2021, 8:19am

You guys been getting any phone calls that say something like 'you're under federal investigation and you need to dial "1" to be connected to a federal agent?

The voice is female, uses bad English and I've gotten at least a dozen calls last night from all over the US, including one from Scotland. The messages must start as soon as a connection is made, cause each and every message started about 1/2 way thru. AND The message is EXACTLY the same in every one of the calls.

They all immediately go to my voicemail so I don't even know I get them ---- until I check my missed calls. I always have my phone on "Do Not Call" so I only get calls from my list of 'preferred' callers. Anybody not on my preferred caller list can leave a message.

My son, who lives in same city as I do said he's gotten many phone calls, from places he doesn't recognize and thus doesn't answer them.

One would think that these jackwagons would have someone that speaks much better English verbalize their "messages" to contact them.
Watch Noob
Banned

Re: Bogus calls

Post by Watch Noob » February 18th 2021, 8:30am

Haven't heard this one yet. We were getting just a crapload of robo calls last week, I'm talking like 30/day on the home phone. Finally we gave up on blocking numbers and shut off the ringer. The phone numbers come up on the TV's so if we recognize a number we can answer it. This crap is getting way out of hand. The robo calls are voice activated so it waits to hear your voice before it starts, usually car warranty or health insurance related. The Do Not Call registries are worthless.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DocKlock » February 18th 2021, 8:50am

Yeah, these are definitely 'robo calls' that start in as soon as it recognizes a voice, hence when leaving a message first half is missing. Some get cleaver by using your area code to trick you into thinking it's a 'local' call. The one from Scotland was puzzling tho.
I have gotten so many car warranty, my outstanding student loan (I'm 76), medical devices -- and those are only the ones that leave a message. Probably get 5 a day that don't leave any messages.
Getting really irritating and I think the "Do Not Call Registry just verifies your number is an active one.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » February 18th 2021, 10:15am

The phone rings, I check the caller ID, if it's not someone I know, I click the phone (landline) on and then click it off. The whole operation takes about 10 seconds. I have the phone set for 6 rings before the answering service kicks in, so the on/off trick means I don't have to listen to the phone ring and I don't have to deal with messages.

I don't even turn my cell phone on unless I am away from home and want to call someone.
"Who are you?" "I am the new Number Two." "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six."
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » February 18th 2021, 10:30am

svaglic wrote:
February 18th 2021, 10:17am
If I answer a call like that, I wait til there is a live person on the line then I scream as loud as I can. I usually don’t get a callback.
That only works if there is a live person on the other end. Typically for me it is a sales recording.

If you are not in my contact list, call is silenced..............if it is important, they will leave me a message and let me decide before deletion.

"I’m picturing a guy in a helmet, trying to lick windows until the mailman stops by with a package. He takes the helmet off to admire his Invicta" - svaglic

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 18th 2021, 3:11pm

In addition to the usual sales crap, extended car warranties and whatnot, I've had calls claiming to be the IRS, Social Security, or MasterCard- which I don't even have- "dial 1 or you in big trouble".

I plaqyed along once for fun when the crooks claimed to be the Social Security Administration calling about fraudulent activity using my SS #.

The prompt directed me to enter my SS# and DOB to be connected to an agent. After typing in zeroes, the prompt told me "all agents are currently busy. An agent will call you back as soon as one is available". Click.

It's hard to believe that people get taken for billions every year with this bullshit.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 18th 2021, 3:30pm

I have used an air horn I use on the boat on several of them. I agree, no call list is a joke with all of the phone spoofing going on.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 18th 2021, 4:23pm

We get calls from the ATO (tax department) over claiming you are under investigation and you ened to dial '1' urgently to sort it out. They then ask for your personal information. I always dial one.

"Oh no! I'm under investigation! Oh no! I'm so stressed and upset, what should I do?"

"It's ok, we can assist you, we just need some details about your situation. Let's start with your name."

"OK, sure, sure, thanks so much. Surname: Yu. Y. U."

"And your first name, sir?"

"F. U. K. Fuk."

"Ok, that's Fuk Yu?"

"That's right."

They usually hand up about here.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » February 18th 2021, 4:45pm

It seems that nothing stops them entirely. Blocking the number only works for the repeat offenders.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
majt

Post by majt » February 18th 2021, 6:54pm

Absolute bullshit ...we in canada get them all the time saying they are from Canada revenue and your under investigation but pay 5k in bit coin it will all go away...get them once a week and they clone your phone number...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 18th 2021, 10:13pm

I ask them if they are naked. Especially the males. Had one guy start cursing me in Arabic. Good times.

For the auto-warranty calls I have told them that I don't own a car, have given them any number of late model exotics (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti). It amused me to tie them up.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » February 19th 2021, 11:05am

No, but after visiting a weed event in San Francisco a few years ago I did get a call from a sheriff who found my paperwork in the offices of the collective they raided. Basically, they offer you a gram or two of flower if you sign up for their email list…which seemed alright with me. What’s a few more spam email in exchange for good smoke?

When they got raided the subjects had indicated the tons of cash they had wasn’t from illegal business activity but was the property of all the people who signed up to be a part of their collective.

I advised the sheriff this was great news because, before his call I was not aware that I was an equity partner - but I was very much looking forward to receiving an imminent cash distribution from this new business endeavor.

They must have been really back-logged because I still haven’t received any money from them. Maybe it will show up today...
Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers...
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 19th 2021, 11:21pm

biglove wrote:
February 18th 2021, 10:13pm
I ask them if they are naked. Especially the males. Had one guy start cursing me in Arabic. Good times.

For the auto-warranty calls I have told them that I don't own a car, have given them any number of late model exotics (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti). It amused me to tie them up.
:mrgreen:
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”