Do you use a soundbar?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Do you use a soundbar?

Post by koimaster » February 16th 2021, 12:00am

I purchased a vizio Elevate home theatre sound bar last year to go with my 77” LG OLED. Great sound which come close to the quality of my Klipsch R-625FA system setup used for my Denon AVR-X2700H, Akai GX-400D-SS, BSR turntable and Craig-Pioneer 8 track. Still have my original Sansui 2000 as well. For those who care, the akai and sansui were purchased in Japan in 72 while on R&R.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Do you use a soundbar?

Post by Datsun240Z71 » February 16th 2021, 4:56am

I'm no audiophile, that's for certain, but we have basic soundbars on our 2 TVs. Mainly just for volume. One's a Vizio from COSTCO, the other in our bedroom armoire a $50 RCA from Walmart. Serve the purpose.

We do have a Yamaha stereo system (circa 1986?) with BOSE speakers.
Randy in Nashville
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » February 16th 2021, 5:23am

Ive flirted with the idea of a soundbar but actually my 15 year old Panasonic Plasma has quite good sound for everyday stuff. For movies I use my Technics SA-DX1040 receiver in 5.1 mode with Polk speakers all around. Got a new Denon receiver that is 2 years old that I still havent taken out of the box plus a Technics SL-1300 turntable, 2 DVD players and a few other goodies.

The list of stereo equipment I used to own would be longer than the list of watches I used to own.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 16th 2021, 5:40am

Much like Max, I've owned tons of audio equipment over the years from Sony to Yamaha.
Currently, Polk Audio surround upstairs, Visio 2.1 soundbar in the Master, Visio 5.1 soundbar downstairs for TV, and Bose surround for music.
I don't think we've watched movies together without some type of audio system for the past 20 yrs.
I also have my soundbars paired to Alexa so it's handy if you just want to hear some smooth jazz during the day while you work.
Oh, and I say all this while looking at my Logitech THX surround on my desktop system. :mrgreen:
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » February 16th 2021, 7:18am

I've got a Polk soundbar/subwoofer combo for my upstairs tv. Haven't tried to pair the system with the computer as the computer has some Arion Legacy powered speakers.

The soundbar greatly improved the sound quality from the tv. Voices are clearer and of course there's a lot more bass which brings more feeling to the sounds.

I bought my wife a JBL "boombox" that pairs with her cellphone. I couldn't stand that tinny sound from the phone speaker.

I have an NAD integrated amp that connects via Bluetooth and drives some Martin Logan speakers I installed in the ceiling. They fill the kitchen and den with music. They sound better than the Polks I had at my last house; but then they cost twice as much, too. The NAD is a better amp than the Onkyo I had before, too.

In the living room I have my Jolida integrated amp. with matched KT88 output tubes. I have a VPI Scout turntable with a Creek phono stage and Dynavector mc cartridge. Speakers are Spendor SP1/2E.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » February 16th 2021, 9:37am

I’m set up with a Samsung tv, dvd, sound bar and rear speakers. Not much money, but when my Sony quit and the movers broke my dvd and surround system, I just went to Best Buy and got all the same brand that they had in stock.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 16th 2021, 10:07am

A bit off topic but it may help those unfamiliar that want Bluetooth capability but don't have it on your receiver. Allows you to play your iTunes for example on your phone through your home stereo. Added this to my living room system. 10 minutes to install and pair and presto you are now cranking your little iPhone music through a few hundred watts of power :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ ... UTF8&psc=1
MAX

Post by MAX » February 16th 2021, 11:19am

Watch Noob wrote:
February 16th 2021, 10:07am
A bit off topic but it may help those unfamiliar that want Bluetooth capability but don't have it on your receiver. Allows you to play your iTunes for example on your phone through your home stereo. Added this to my living room system. 10 minutes to install and pair and presto you are now cranking your little iPhone music through a few hundred watts of power :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IQ ... UTF8&psc=1
I bought a little bluetooth receiver/amp that I use in the garage with an old set of speakers. Works great with phone, touchpad, ect. 110v or can wire to a car, RV or boat electrical system.

That one looks good for a home system too. Logitech makes great products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q ... UTF8&psc=1
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 16th 2021, 11:59am

MAX wrote:
February 16th 2021, 11:19am
I bought a little bluetooth receiver/amp that I use in the garage with an old set of speakers. Works great with phone, touchpad, ect. 110v or can wire to a car, RV or boat electrical system.

Wow, thanks Max, I didn't know this contraption existed. I can use this for my Bose outdoor speakers that are collecting dust right now. I wanted to mount them in our pavilion but didn't know how to set it up without having to purchase a BT receiver. I can simply wire this to the speakers I mount and then pair them with whatever device I choose, correct?
AlbertaTime (Online)
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » February 16th 2021, 12:28pm

Watch Noob wrote:
February 16th 2021, 11:59am
I can use this for my Bose outdoor speakers that are collecting dust right now. I wanted to mount them in our pavilion but didn't know how to set it up without having to purchase a BT receiver. I can simply wire this to the speakers I mount and then pair them with whatever device I choose, correct?
From the ad:
SUPER COMPATIBILITY: Our Bluetooth audio transmitter can be widely applied to various tablet PC, TV, smartphone, Laptop with Bluetooth, iPhone and etc, versatile and simple to use. But it does not apply to a range of products launched by Amazon such as Echo, Alexa ect. and Bose Speakers.
:-(
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
MAX

Post by MAX » February 16th 2021, 12:43pm

Watch Noob wrote:
February 16th 2021, 11:59am
MAX wrote:
February 16th 2021, 11:19am

Wow, thanks Max, I didn't know this contraption existed. I can use this for my Bose outdoor speakers that are collecting dust right now. I wanted to mount them in our pavilion but didn't know how to set it up without having to purchase a BT receiver. I can simply wire this to the speakers I mount and then pair them with whatever device I choose, correct?
As far as I understand, yes. I dont see why it wouldnt work with any NON POWERED dumb speaker. Ive used it with old KLH and Technics speakers with NP. AlbertaTime mentioned Bose but I dont think there would be a problem there either. I think he is referencing something else, a bluetooth transmitter. It also comes in a 100W per channel version but dont think that one is necessary. When I researched these they were using the best amp chip IMHO for this type of application.
NRPI here.

smellody

Post by smellody » February 17th 2021, 8:51am

I use a Bose soundbar. Use one in the family room and one in the bedroom.

Purchased the one in the living room on sale at Costco when I bought a new Samsung flat-screen.

We have an older flat-screen in the bedroom. It is possessed and turns the speakers on high or off randomly in the middle of the night. I bypassed the TV's speakers and use the soundbar where I am able to control the volume.

The soundbar makes a huge difference in sound quality and booms on movies. The TV's 100% volume is but a whisper by itself. I always set the tv volume at 1% when the soundbar is on. I feel the TV should contribute something.

The Bose connects to the TV with fiber optics. That's as high tech as I will allow in my house.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 17th 2021, 9:06am

AT and Max, thanks for the clarifications.

I'll dig deeper into this but I'm guessing on the surface they are talking about the typical indoor bose speakers where many of them are powered through the subwoofer system like my Bose Lifestyle system downstairs. The application I was looking for are my outdoor bose speakers where I've had them hooked up to a receiver in my garage wired like any other speaker. So basically I'm looking for a power source with bluetooth capability.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » February 17th 2021, 9:40am

Watch Noob wrote:
February 17th 2021, 9:06am

So basically I'm looking for a power source with bluetooth capability.
Me too- let me know what you come up with. I am interested in hooking up one of these to a three-way speaker selector so I can run wired music to either my home driveway, back deck or to inside garage passive speakers. Will basically be replacing a worn out 70's vintage Kenwood receiver.

Thanks for the info MAX.

"I’m picturing a guy in a helmet, trying to lick windows until the mailman stops by with a package. He takes the helmet off to admire his Invicta" - svaglic

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 17th 2021, 11:16am

Pole Audio soundbar and sub in master. Is fantastic. Has the ability to enhance speech clarity and it really does work well. The bass when watching "Top Gun" rattles the windows.

Have one in den but can't recall brand. That one is just ok.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
MAX

Post by MAX » February 17th 2021, 12:38pm

Watch Noob wrote:
February 17th 2021, 9:06am

So basically I'm looking for a power source with bluetooth capability.
You guys are more than welcome, Im glad to help and contribute here.

That little amp I linked to should be ideal for your setup. Very basic, simple on off switch and volume control. Wire up 2 speakers, plug it in and Bobs your Uncle. Sound is very clean for what it is and if running through a phone there are equilizer apps avalible if you want to tweak bass and treble, etc. Probably for iPads too, only cost about $1,000 but free for android. :mrgreen:

Id be interested to hear about your applications if you get one. I love electrical gadjets. Just repaired my non functional garage door opener with a remote switch wired to my indoor opener panel. Cost about $20 while repairing my opener itself was over $200. Works better thane ever.
NRPI here.

codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » February 20th 2021, 9:04am

To continue koi's thread Cecil

MAX wrote:
February 17th 2021, 12:38pm
I love electrical gadjets.
Me too, also.
I own alot of music and typically play it off ipod's. I learn't a way of modifying older models to increase storage capacity from say a 4GB hard drive to a 256GB flash card model.

I've modified four of these and use them everywhere (house, machine shop, car shop, garage & in cars).

Here is one of them, a 4GB iPod Mini of 2005 vintage, modified with a 256GB type-10 SDHC card.
Currently has over 10,000 songs on it (900 albums)....... and 162GB memory remaining. :mrgreen:

"I’m picturing a guy in a helmet, trying to lick windows until the mailman stops by with a package. He takes the helmet off to admire his Invicta" - svaglic

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”