United States F-35 vs French Rafale - Which would win?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: United States F-35 vs French Rafale - Which would win?

Post by Mark1 » February 10th 2021, 7:55pm

The video goes on for 9 minutes and does not even offer an answer (WAG) to the question in the title. Hard to agree or disagree with anyone who defers to offer an opinion.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 8:19pm

I'm no expert, obviously, but isn't the F35 more of a stealthy weapons delivery platform? As such, isn't it's capability directly related to the capability of the missiles and bombs it's carrying? Not sure that maneuverability and G ratings are as important. I would have thought it's more about payload and stealth.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 10th 2021, 8:29pm

jason_recliner wrote:
February 10th 2021, 8:19pm
I'm no expert, obviously, but isn't the F35 more of a stealthy weapons delivery platform? As such, isn't it's capability directly related to the capability of the missiles and bombs it's carrying? Not sure that maneuverability and G ratings are as important. I would have thought it's more about payload and stealth.
Quite so, and well argued, my bogan friend. Also, the French plane looks stupid.
majt

Post by majt » February 10th 2021, 8:50pm

I live on Vancouver island and I hear those planes from the land of the free and the home of the brave somewhere close by all summer long....
I don't mind, I think it's impressive.
Last edited by majt on February 10th 2021, 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 8:55pm

conjurer wrote:
February 10th 2021, 8:29pm
jason_recliner wrote:
Quite so, and well argued, my bogan friend. Also, the French plane looks stupid.
Thanks John. I think we can both agree that the French look stupid, are stupid, and, by association, anything they make looks stupid and is stupid.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 10th 2021, 9:03pm

jason_recliner wrote:
February 10th 2021, 8:55pm
conjurer wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
Thanks John. I think we can both agree that the French look stupid, are stupid, and, by association, anything they make looks stupid and is stupid.
Jean Reno is pretty bad-ass. Of course, he's half Moroccan.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 9:08pm

conjurer wrote:
February 10th 2021, 9:03pm
jason_recliner wrote:
conjurer wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
Jean Reno is pretty bad-ass. Of course, he's half Moroccan.
Yeah, I suppose. But his nose is pretty fucking stupid.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 10th 2021, 9:16pm

jason_recliner wrote:
conjurer wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
Except that Catherine Deneuve happened.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 10th 2021, 9:21pm

bedlam wrote:
February 10th 2021, 9:16pm
jason_recliner wrote:
conjurer wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
True fact: Catherine Deneuve once blew Cantinflas. After he arrived, Ms. Deneuve spat and growled, "you have de Gaulle to come in my mouth?!"
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 9:39pm

bedlam wrote:
February 10th 2021, 9:16pm
jason_recliner wrote:
conjurer wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:
I dunno. I googled her. Fuck. So then I googled "Catherine Deneuve when she was young". Fuck. She STILL looked like my grandma. IF my grandma was stupid. Fuck France.

If it thinks, it stinks
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 10th 2021, 11:14pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
gerdson (Online)
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » February 11th 2021, 10:12am

No time to look at the videos. Just this: Denmark decided to buy the F-35. A bit later they realized that these things are loud as hell. I mean - really considerably louder in take-off than Denmarks current F-16. So citizens living close to the Airbase started to protest like hell, in the end the government had to buy some houses in the zone most heavily affected, and pay compensation to others - and there are still a couple of thousand angry people who happen to live "just outside of either zone".
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » February 11th 2021, 3:21pm

The F35 as pointed out is designed primarily for stealth. In order to achieve the radar cross section of a golf ball, weapons are primarily carried internally. This design means some sacrifice to maneuverability, but it does so in favor of survivability. The days of aerial dogfighting are over. F35s weapons radar picks up the enemy at 90+ miles if you are on your own. AWACS can tell you the enemies position well beyond that. The bigger threat today is from ground to air weapons so the smaller the radar profile the better.
Here are a couple pictures of an F35 from the Oregon Airshow in 2019. Weather was real marginal that September day. Hope to get better pictures this year, hope they have a SHOW this year.

See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 11th 2021, 7:29pm

Have seen a couple of F-35s a few years back at the BAFB air show. And my God, they are LOUD!

But those planes can do things that no other can.

But for enemies on the ground shitting their pants, nothing beats the F-16.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 11th 2021, 7:53pm

Mark1 wrote:
February 11th 2021, 3:21pm
The F35 as pointed out is designed primarily for stealth. In order to achieve the radar cross section of a golf ball, weapons are primarily carried internally. This design means some sacrifice to maneuverability, but it does so in favor of survivability. The days of aerial dogfighting are over. F35s weapons radar picks up the enemy at 90+ miles if you are on your own. AWACS can tell you the enemies position well beyond that. The bigger threat today is from ground to air weapons so the smaller the radar profile the better.
Here are a couple pictures of an F35 from the Oregon Airshow in 2019. Weather was real marginal that September day. Hope to get better pictures this year, hope they have a SHOW this year.

The P-51 rocks

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”