John le Carre Passes at 89

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: John le Carre Passes at 89

Post by Falstaff » December 14th 2020, 10:43am

The undisputed master of his genre and a literary craftsman par excellence. The moral ambiguity of the intelligence biz as it actually is - the politics, the disloyalties, the betrayals, the egos and the plodding, tedious day to day watching and waiting and gathering of tiny bits of information that might be useful - filing it all away against a day the pieces might fit. I was a fan after seeing Richard Burton as The Spy Who Came In From the Coldand even more so after reading the book - and all those that followed as well as his early stuff - Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality. Top of the heap for me though, is Smiley's People in which George Smiley, at the end of his career and with the help of his long time collaborators, finally puts all the tiny pieces gathered over the years together and brings down Soviet spymaster Karla - his life-long nemesis. God damn, I'll miss him.
"Who are you?" "I am the new Number Two." "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six."
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » December 14th 2020, 6:11pm

conjurer wrote:
December 13th 2020, 8:38pm
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/europe/j ... index.html

Mr. le Carre was one of my favorite authors, a giant in the world of literary fiction. RIP.
Same here...coincidentally, I'm currently reading Graham Greene's 'The Human Factor'..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 14th 2020, 8:54pm

Thunder1 wrote:
December 14th 2020, 6:11pm
conjurer wrote:
December 13th 2020, 8:38pm
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/europe/j ... index.html

Mr. le Carre was one of my favorite authors, a giant in the world of literary fiction. RIP.
Same here...coincidentally, I'm currently reading Graham Greene's 'The Human Factor'..
A fine book, too. Interestingly, Greene referred to his spy novels as "entertainments," of somewhat less than serious fiction.

And, fuck 2020.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 14th 2020, 9:19pm

Sounds like an author that I should have read but don't recall ever done so.

RIP, sir.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”