Tom Seaver, 75

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Tom Seaver, 75

Post by TemerityB » September 2nd 2020, 6:05pm

One of the best pitchers of all time, but that goes without saying. When I was a kid, I'd watch Seaver, Koosman, Matlack, Gentry, Sadecki, etc, and thought it would always be that way, that the Mets were good because their starters were so great.

I feel old. I feel so fucking old.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/tom-seave ... ead-at-75/
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Tom Seaver, 75

Post by TemerityB » September 2nd 2020, 8:41pm

conjurer wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 7:02pm
RIP. Seventy five really isn't all that old these days. Well, not counting COVID.
Funny you brought that up. The first reports said he had died of symptoms of dementia and lyme disease. Later reports listed dementia and COVID.

Damn this fucking disease. Damn it to hell.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 3rd 2020, 1:39pm

The classic power pitcher, master of the drop and drive, the guy twisted up the best hitters in the league throughout his entire career.

My old friend Tony Gwynn despised facing Seaver and the ace felt likewise, but the two greatly respected each other, a regard which lasted throughout their lives after baseball.

Quite a nod to Seaver's great talents from a guy who won 8 batting titles while hitting > than .400 against the likes of Greg Maddux ,and only stiking out 434 times in 9,288 career at bats. AIR, the three time Cy Young award winner not only caught Gwynn looking (a real rarity for the 8X batting champion) but racked up several career K's against the best hitter in MLB since Ted Williams. What a match up, it's too bad they didn't face each other more often.

Gwynn's election to the Hall of Fame was by a percentage of ballots second only to Seaver. Tom Seaver set a record with a 98.8% first ballot, to Gwynn's 97.6%. When TG was inducted into the HOF, in response to a reporter's question about having come so close to Seaver's record, Gwynn said he was glad he didn't beat him.

Two of the most skilled and humble professional athletes ever in professional sports, enemy combatants on the field, friends, off the field.

RIP Tom Terrific
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » September 3rd 2020, 5:20pm

3Flushes wrote:
September 3rd 2020, 1:39pm
The classic power pitcher, master of the drop and drive, the guy twisted up the best hitters in the league throughout his entire career.

My old friend Tony Gwynn despised facing Seaver and the ace felt likewise, but the two greatly respected each other, a regard which lasted throughout their lives after baseball.

Quite a nod to Seaver's great talents from a guy who won 8 batting titles while hitting > than .400 against the likes of Greg Maddux ,and only stiking out 434 times in 9,288 career at bats. AIR, the three time Cy Young award winner not only caught Gwynn looking (a real rarity for the 8X batting champion) but racked up several career K's against the best hitter in MLB since Ted Williams. What a match up, it's too bad they didn't face each other more often.

Gwynn's election to the Hall of Fame was by a percentage of ballots second only to Seaver. Tom Seaver set a record with a 98.8% first ballot, to Gwynn's 97.6%. When TG was inducted into the HOF, in response to a reporter's question about having come so close to Seaver's record, Gwynn said he was glad he didn't beat him.

Two of the most skilled and humble professional athletes ever in professional sports, enemy combatants on the field, friends, off the field.

RIP Tom Terrific
Gwynn was one of the best hitters I ever saw. Every bit the HOFer that Seaver is.

Damn that smokeless tobacco, too.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » September 4th 2020, 10:47am

TemerityB wrote:
September 3rd 2020, 5:20pm
3Flushes wrote:
September 3rd 2020, 1:39pm

RIP Tom Terrific
Gwynn was one of the best hitters I ever saw. Every bit the HOFer that Seaver is.

Damn that smokeless tobacco, too.
I don't know if there was ever a better contact hitter than TG.

I've mentioned before around here that I was an umpire, I worked ballgames for about 30 years at the high school and college level. I met Tony Gwynn just after he'd been drafted by the Padres at a party thrown by a guy in my umpires association named, Kerwin Dantley. Dantley and Gwynn played baseball together at SDSU and although Dantley didn't have major league hitting ability, he made it to the majors as a National League umpire several years after TG became a Padre.

So I spent 20 years watching Gwynn hit the shit out of guys like Gooden, Maddux,, Valenzula,, Herscheiser, Sutter, Carlton, Ryan, Nomo,- hell, when I was in school, we'd decide whether or not to go to the games based on who the pitching matchup for Gwynn was going to be. I had season tickets for the last eight years of Gwynn's career which I dumped up after he retired- it wasn't the same and PETCO fucking sucks.

No one worked harder than Gwynn, a tireless student of the game and his swing- known not only as a great hitter, but as one of the greatest thinkers in baseball. His video reviews of every AB are legendary. Gwynn saw the ball so well, he frequently appeared to be psychic; a lot of Cy Young Award winners sure as hell thought so- Gwynn never hit lower than .309 as a major leaguer.

So, in 2002, Gwynn became the skipper of SDSU's baseball program replacing long time pain in the balls, Jim Dietz, who used to ride us like we were $10 tricks from the lineup cards / ground rules meeting through the last out. I worked lots of SDSU games with Gwynn at the wheel and his thinkers' skills were readily apparent in his approach to managing. with incredible anticipation of the opposition's strategy in any situation as he managed circles around the competition, but unfortunately with players who couldn't always execute, so it didn't always show in only fair W-L records. Yet..

Unfortunately Gwynn's life was cut short before his recruiting could build up a program that would have matched his coaching abilities with better and better players; Gwynn would have made SDSU a WAC and NCAA powerhouse.

So the point of this B,S. is that Gwynn really focused attention on the thinking aspects and preparation as the keys to hitting- those video reviews analyzed the pitching as much as his swing. Gwynn frequently said all he had to do after the proper prep was step in and see the ball- the contact was easy. Gwynn's admiration of Seaver extended far beyond Tom Traffic's power, but his ability to out think, even completely fool Gwynn on occasion- as I said earlier TG didn't take very many called third strikes out of only 434 K's in his career- but Seaver could catch him looking.

Seaver's power was truly weaponized by his 'cerebral presence' on the field, he made the best hitters in baseball look like little leaguers who frequently walked back to their dugouts after striking out shaking their heads and talking to themselves. It was that mutual cerebral presence that made Seaver and Gwynn one of the most exciting matchups to watch in MLB history because it took better brains on any particular game day for them to overcome each other's physical gifts.

It was the mutual respect for each other's cerebral abilities that made them friends off of the field. It's tremendously unfortunate that neither was able to bring those abilities to their full potential in coaching following their careers.

Hard to believe they're both gone.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”