In OZ, Like father like son

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

In OZ, Like father like son

Post by koimaster » September 1st 2020, 12:07pm

A story from last year. Dan Hunt was Carol's first cousin and of course related to me by marriage. He attended school in Marin County (Drake HS) and his ties to Oregon beside myself and the kids are his years as a student and player at the University of Portland. I last saw all of them about 6 months ago when they stopped by the house for a week to visit before returning to Oz where he has lived since 1986. Both of his sons play for the Buccs. Dan lives in the Perth area and both he and his wife are educators. Dan is 6'10 and as the article below states, he played for the Buccs.
Like father, like son.

On and off the court, Dan and Liam Hunt are big, real big. And not only in size, but stature.

But they are also gentle creatures. And from late last Saturday, they share something else — a State Basketball League title.

In 2000, Dan Hunt was a member of the Buccs inaugural title — son Liam joined him last weekend. And, in an outstanding on-court performance, he was judged the Most Valuable Player. Pre-game, he had given a changerooms chat to teammates which moved all — some saying they were close to tears and wore goosebumps.

The Geraldton Guardian asked Hunt Sr to talk about Hunt Jr — and vice-versa. Neither heard what the other had to say.
Liam on Dan

He’s left a legacy for us (my younger brother Jesse) from our high school teams in America to here with the Buccs to be the best basketballers we can be and the best people we can be.

He’s very enthusiastic and very positive and a very good problem solver. If there’s something to fix, he’ll fix it.

He can motivate the hell out of you — and he can sense when something is wrong. He’s a father, but he’s a very good friend, we have a very good relationship. It is so special sharing this (an SBL championship) with him. It’s a nice bonus.

Did I buy him a present on Father’s Day? My present to him was winning a championship.

Dan Hunt. He’s a great man, a great father and a better person.
Dan on Liam

He’s such a special guy, so kind, so unique. People are more important to him than anything else — himself included.

What he’s like was summed up when the Wolves fella crashed to the floor on Saturday night.

He was on the bench with his teammates, but he wanted to see if the kid was alright.

See he went to him and helped pick him up.

Liam’s always been unique and caring, others come first.

On the court, he wants all involved, he wants to share the spoils.

When he was picking his degrees to do in college, I told him, “Society needs people like you — honest, fair, loving”.

I recommended teaching, kids in school need people like him.

On the court, he’s the smartest player I’ve coached, got an amazing intellect.

Off it, he’s so considerate, with an addictive nature.

Father’s Day? Gave me a mug and sent me a text message

https://www.geraldtonguardian.com.au/ne ... 881313381z

HE grew up dreaming of following his father’s footsteps at the Geraldton Buccaneers and not only is Liam Hunt doing that, he’s picked up his dance moves too and wants to become a championship winner as well while being in it for the long haul.

Hunt grew up in Geraldton while his father put together one of the great SBL careers going on to play 382 matches with the Buccs averaging 16.9 points, 12.0 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 3.0 steals and 1.6 blocks along the journey that included being part of the club’s only championship in 2000.
https://sbl.asn.au/2018/08/01/liam-hunt ... geraldton/
ImageImageImageImageImage

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”