Moving to new home soon

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Moving to new home soon

Post by bbattle » August 5th 2020, 5:34pm

We closed on our new house back in March and immediately began renovations. We had to knock out a couple of walls and install laminated beams. Lots of new electrical and nearly all new plumbing. The upstairs rooms had those God-awful celotex ceiling panels so they had to come down; along with the crappy insulation they had shoved up there.

The electrical work required so many holes in the sheetrock that we took the ceilings out of two rooms and some nasty blown rock wool insulation. We moved a window from downstairs to be installed in a wall upstairs and took out an upstairs windows and just walled it in. Where we removed the downstairs window, we installed a double door complete with a Plexidoor dog/cat door. (Plexidoor cafe door style is the best ever). I built some wooden stairs to get down to the patio from this door. 4 steps.

They had three water heaters in the house; one of them upstairs in a closet. We changed that to one big unit downstairs.

All three bathrooms were a gut and redo except the one with the mint green tile. The tile stayed; everything else had to go.

Kitchen was a complete gut and redo down to the studs. We ordered Thermador gas stove and dishwasher and a GE or Kitchenaid refrigerator. Even though I paid for these months ago, the refrigerator and dishwasher still haven't arrived.

We converted a small bedroom into a laundry and pantry room. It'll house the w/d and a refrigerator and an upright freezer.

I tackled the yard and the flower beds and maybe, just maybe I have the upper hand against the nutgrass. The people that had lived in the house were excellent gardeners but had gotten too old to take care of stuff. Pruning up the pecan trees alone had resulted in five large trucks of limbs going off to the compost landfill. I cut most of that by hand; not willing to hang up in a tree with a chainsaw.

Insulation was sprayed in. All the batt insulation was done by me. Sheetrock done. Paint done. Hardwood floors installed and refinished. Most of the electrical and plumbing done. Carpet upstairs done.

Today, I moved the receiver and cd player over and wired up the Martin Logan ceiling speakers. Crossed my fingers and pushed "play". Bach never sounded so good and my wife was in heaven.

So, it's all been worth it.
Hawkeye

Re: Moving to new home soon

Post by Hawkeye » August 5th 2020, 5:43pm

Grats,
I am moving in exactly 29 days and 7 hours. I have bought a nice house in a nice small town in Iowa. I can’t do all the stuff you listed, but, it is move in ready. Wish you the best in your new house.
This was taken in the summer of 1987 on shellback day, this is on the equator in the Indian Ocean,I am the one with shirt unbuttoned in the middle
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 6th 2020, 5:11am

biglove wrote:
August 5th 2020, 6:44pm
Wow! That’s some serious remodeling. Would love to see before/after shots.
So would I. My wife didn't take any. My daughter may have some.

Corona virus has made everyone want to renovate their houses so getting contractors to the house has been tough.

Once everything is done, I can clear out the garage and start replacing the sill plate and some of the studs. They've got termite damage. The previous owner had personalized the garage with lots of shelving that is too small or spaced weirdly for my needs so it'll all have to go.

Oh, while packing up stuff to move, I found a box containing my Simpsons collectible watches that Burger King was selling 15 years ago. My mother got them for me as a joke Christmas gift. Who knows? They may be worth a Breitling or two on eBay. :-)
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 6th 2020, 9:54am

Our COVID updates to our three year old house. New high ceiling screened in patio and garage custom storage; 70+ feet of shelving, additional overhead and wall storage. And my wife updated the grandkids play room.

836F967E-764B-4CCC-BB1F-D1AD6AA978E6.jpeg
140D6E89-D9BB-4FFE-A4E9-72E05EAC8316.jpeg
61C68D5E-E65B-4FA2-BFEB-18335B10918A.jpeg
E210EF9F-3088-4736-9AF6-CEC1A063B442.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 7th 2020, 9:24am

Nice remodeling, Biglove. You'll spend a lot more time out there on the patio.

Plumber has been installing toilets and a sink. The glass shower doors were added yesterday. Other daughter showed up yesterday with a Chevy Silverado 2500 so we've been able to move some bigger stuff.

Not sure when the internet/cable guy will be setting up the house. We've run cable where we wanted it; he's just go to connect to the outside pole and set the tv boxes.

A very nice thing about our moving is the new house is only a half mile away. My commute to work is just 8 miles, with 5 of that being on the Arsenal.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”