N95 vs FFP3 & FFP2 masks

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

N95 vs FFP3 & FFP2 masks

Post by koimaster » July 28th 2020, 3:21pm

With the novel coronavirus outbreak globally, many people are understandably concerned about their health and safety.

In this post we’ll look at the difference between respirator filtering standards such as N95 and FFP2/FFP3…

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

https://www.hivepharmacy.com/post/n95-v ... p2-vs-ffp3

In regards to the second link, take it with a grain of salt. There is a FDA list that informs folks which KN95 masks are adequate or equal to the N95 ones.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respira ... sults.html

Approved KN95 mask companies and also on the page is non approved or counterfeit mask makers

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: N95 vs FFP3 & FFP2 masks

Post by bbattle » July 28th 2020, 6:26pm

When I worked at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, we wore full face respirators with replaceable HEPA cartridges and there was a very tight seal around the face. No beards allowed. Cartridges were discarded after one day, even if you only wore the mask for an hour.

For potent compounds, we wore a PAPR or positive air pressure respirator. It was a hood with a clear face shield. In the back, filtered air was blown into the hood. The filter was HEPA or ultra hepa.

If you are really worried about the virus, the above two respirators are the way to go.

With the coronavirus, people are wearing masks in case they have the virus; they won't spread it to others. The vast majority of masks that I see won't stop a 0.3 micron particle or even 10micron but they will stop moist air from your lungs or a sneeze, as long as they are fitted tightly around the face. Most are not.

Stay away from large crowds, like those rioting in Portland. Or bars, or the gym, or choir practice. It is close proximity to people exhaling forcefully that is the main vector.
koimaster
Founder

Re: N95 vs FFP3 & FFP2 masks

Post by koimaster » July 28th 2020, 6:56pm

I use n95 masks and carry a gun to protect myself and others from radical right wing head cases hiding in protests to incite riots. Unlike many, if you spray me with pepper spray for using my 1st amendment rights, I will defend myself against terrorists claiming to be law enforcement.

bbattle wrote:
July 28th 2020, 6:26pm
When I worked at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, we wore full face respirators with replaceable HEPA cartridges and there was a very tight seal around the face. No beards allowed. Cartridges were discarded after one day, even if you only wore the mask for an hour.

For potent compounds, we wore a PAPR or positive air pressure respirator. It was a hood with a clear face shield. In the back, filtered air was blown into the hood. The filter was HEPA or ultra hepa.

If you are really worried about the virus, the above two respirators are the way to go.

With the coronavirus, people are wearing masks in case they have the virus; they won't spread it to others. The vast majority of masks that I see won't stop a 0.3 micron particle or even 10micron but they will stop moist air from your lungs or a sneeze, as long as they are fitted tightly around the face. Most are not.

Stay away from large crowds, like those rioting in Portland. Or bars, or the gym, or choir practice. It is close proximity to people exhaling forcefully that is the main vector.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”