How to wear a mask

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

How to wear a mask

Post by koimaster » July 7th 2020, 9:21am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/health/h ... index.html

An example:

This manufacturer is on the approved list at the FDA.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/respira ... sults.html

ACCUNEWS is a 10% discount code for checkout

https://accumed.com/accumed-50-pack-kn9 ... dband.html

Features an adjustable metal nose piece for comfort.
Two strap headband design helps provide a secure seal.
Design & Construction, Food Processing, Food Safety, General Manufacturing, Heavy Infrastructure, Mining, Oil & Gas, Transportation, etc.
Lightweight in construction and fits securely over the face to prevent shifting during movement.
Regular size. Ideal for daily use at home, work, travel, or trips to the supermarket and gym
FDA Registered Class I Device. Tested for and meets European Standard FFP2 CE EN 149:2001+A1:2009. Meets Chinese Standard KN95 GB2626-2006.

If you were wondering where to buy KN95 masks, you have arrived at the right place. Profits are being used to re-invest in local US manufacturing in Houston Texas and to lower the overall cost of the masks.

For bulk order discounts please email [email protected]

WARNING: This protective face mask helps protect against certain contaminants. It may not eliminate the risk of contracting disease or infection.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: How to wear a mask

Post by nimbleboy » July 9th 2020, 6:51am

DocKlock wrote:
July 9th 2020, 6:25am
I must be dumb as dirt. I watched the 'proper way' multiple times and can't figure out how she fastens the ear loops at the back of her head. Tie a knot? Some magic connection???
Srsly... the back of my ears get really annoyed and it looks like she has a secret I'd like to know...
Is it safe?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 9th 2020, 7:48am

Now they publish this?!? I've been harping on this for months. There's always been a protocol for mask wearing. All I know is that we're all gonna add masks to our budgets from this point on; this stuff ain't goin' away anytime soon.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » July 9th 2020, 8:05am

DocKlock wrote:
I must be dumb as dirt. I watched the 'proper way' multiple times and can't figure out how she fastens the ear loops at the back of her head. Tie a knot? Some magic connection???
I'm right there with you. I've got no clue what she's doing with the back of her head. Moreover the first instructions I found were from the SFDPH and looked like this:
Follow the instructions below for the type of mask you are using.

Face Mask with Ear loops: Hold the mask by the ear loops. Place a loop around each ear.

Face Mask with Ties: Bring the mask to your nose level and place the ties over the crown of your head and secure with a bow.
Which pretty much aligns with what showed up with my box of KN-95s And there's even helpful little pictures (with the ear loops behind the ears with no magic knot on the back of the head).

If protocols do indeed exist they're as scattered and inconsistent as any other recent protocol. In fact this thread was the first I saw where putting on a mask qualifies the wearer for a Boy Scout knot merit badge.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 12th 2020, 4:16pm

Hawk wrote:
July 9th 2020, 8:05am

If protocols do indeed exist they're as scattered and inconsistent as any other recent protocol. In fact this thread was the first I saw where putting on a mask qualifies the wearer for a Boy Scout knot merit badge.
Good point in that first sentence. I had yet to see proper instructions on how to use a mask printed or broadcast virtually anywhere - until today, when CNN Tweeted it, which means about, oh, seven people saw it. Six months into a pandemic response that's been botched from stem to stern. Nice job, America.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » July 12th 2020, 4:48pm

Hawk wrote:
July 9th 2020, 1:07pm
Damn. And I just broke one of my KN-95 trying that "ear loop behind the head" trick.

Guess they're just not long enough for that or I have a head shaped like an eggplant or both.
The only reason to have to tie the loops behind your ears is if the mask fits too loosely. If the loops are too short to tie behind your head, the fit is likely ok. A little leakage at the sides is normal when you exhale- that's the exit. Don't try to adjust the mask until nothing comes out. Inhaling pulls the mask to your face when you inhale with a decent fit. It may help to tie it first and holding it by the loops, pull it down over your face by the very bottom edge and then pinch off the nose. Try to avoid any open pockets in the edges around your face, more of a problem with the surgical and cloth masks than with respirator style. Again- if too short to tie or a string pops off you're likely ok around the ears.

Don't twist the loops to shorten them as this compromises the angle at which they pull the mask to your face.

When you get your masks, all you have to do is test one and make sure all the layers that are supposed to be woven in are indeed present.

1. Following the proper procedure for putting on a mask, put on a mask and fit as snugly as possible. Make sure the nose band stays snug. Hold a lighter six inches away in a straight shot from your mouth and try to blow it out. You should not be able to do so. I've been able to get close enough with the ones I've purchased for the 'ol circle to practically light the mask on fire without being able to blow it out. I am an old man, etc. etc. YMMV- 6 inches is the test distance.

2. Hold your mask by the ear loops and fill the side that goes against your face with water. It should not leak. At all. Water that leaks over the sides as you lift your mask to see if it's leaking doesn't count.

A couple'a notes:

Any mask with ear loops is not a certified medical quality mask.

I have found that seller's who don't advertise a standard or provide documentation are selling shit. Especially if it's too cheap. See the COVID thread for detailed information on buying KN-95 masks from which the above is excerpted.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » July 12th 2020, 5:39pm

nimbleboy wrote:
July 9th 2020, 6:51am
DocKlock wrote:
Srsly... the back of my ears get really annoyed and it looks like she has a secret I'd like to know...
https://www.amazon.com/Ear-Savers-Exten ... B088Q8S69L
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » July 13th 2020, 12:10pm

3Flushes wrote:
July 12th 2020, 4:48pm
Hawk wrote:
July 9th 2020, 1:07pm
Damn. And I just broke one of my KN-95 trying that "ear loop behind the head" trick.

Guess they're just not long enough for that or I have a head shaped like an eggplant or both.
The only reason to have to tie the loops behind your ears is if the mask fits too loosely. If the loops are too short to tie behind your head, the fit is likely ok. A little leakage at the sides is normal when you exhale- that's the exit. Don't try to adjust the mask until nothing comes out.

That would be my guess - it fits fine with just the ear loops and plainly isn't intended to have the things yanked to the back of one's head.

The certification packed with each package of five reads "KN-95 Non-Medical" so it's not pretending to be anything it isn't and I'm guessing "plenty good enough". An ill-timed burp following a chili-dog with extra onions is sufficiently distressing to suggest nothing is getting out.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”