Free Help for Homeless Veterans

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Founder

Free Help for Homeless Veterans

Post by koimaster » March 5th 2020, 9:19am

Free Help for Homeless Veterans Dial 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) for 24/7 access VA's services for homeless and at-risk Veterans

Homeless Veteran Chat Confidential, 24/7 online support for homeless Veterans and friends

https://productionchat.vrm.vba.va.gov/s ... US&ver=v11

https://www.va.gov/homeless for more information

Are you a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one?

Did you know that VA offers same day services in Primary Care and Mental Health at 172 VA Medical Centers across the country? Make the Connection Resource Locator
Contact the Veterans Crisis Line (1-800-273-8255 and press 1, Chat, or Text 838255.)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Hawkeye
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Free Help for Homeless Veterans

Post by Hawkeye » August 3rd 2020, 1:01pm

Plus the county your in will pay 1 time your rent. It depends on state on how much totally but each county has a vet affairs officer in the court house. You earned it use it if needed
This was taken in the summer of 1987 on shellback day, this is on the equator in the Indian Ocean,I am the one with shirt unbuttoned in the middle
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 3rd 2020, 5:59pm

hootchlid wrote:
August 3rd 2020, 1:01pm
Plus the county your in will pay 1 time your rent. It depends on state on how much totally but each county has a vet affairs officer in the court house. You earned it use it if needed
Yep, faux naval aviators need not apply.

1946-2006

robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 9:58am

This sounds like the HUD VASH program, something I’ve had experience with helping a friend whose life had gone south

It has been a lifesaver, literally as the kids say, for this friend. Me, hard to believe the government esp the federal local cross agency cooperation can actually work and work quickly to tailor solutions for the cases they take on

One of the things you can look at and think that your tax dollars are doing something deeply good

Basically they fix you up with rent for life with no strings attached, whereas in the past it was accept harsh anti psychotic meds or keep living behind the dumpster

You’d be surprised how much saner people become just having a roof over their head and a secure door to sleep behind rather than an alley or cubby where they have to constantly worry 24x7 about being raped or throat cut

They prioritize, my friend was full on bag lady so they placed her immediately as soon as I got her in front of them

That was the hard part

If you have any homeless vet friends you should get them to this immediately. No service connection is necessary for their current condition, they don’t have to be processed through VA system at all, just proof of service

My friend has been in this going on 5 years this fall never accepted medication, and is enormously improved and still very much in the uptrend that has been consistent since the moment she began getting this support

Again, I was so surprised to see gov doing something so common sense and effective
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2020, 10:10am

hootchlid wrote:
August 3rd 2020, 6:26pm
Why did someone claim to be a naval aviator here?i sure hope codman buster him/her
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46751

He used to go by mortuus

1946-2006

robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 10:12am

I’ll also add that because of the local cooperation there are few national guidelines for this program, something I spent considerable time looking for

The only way to really know how the program is working in your area is to talk to local VA reps our your local housing authority. There is almost nothing specific on paper about qualifying etc since local authorities all have their own practices in this program and basically it is meant to give as much individual case latitude as possible as it is intentionally not a one size fits all approach

Again I was so surprised to see our gov operating this way
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » August 4th 2020, 10:26am

Koi, I knew it codman got him. I didn’t know codman was a full bird captain. I was just a quartermaster and it was relatively tough rate rate to advance when I was in, I pna’ed my 3rd class test mainly because I wasn’t “squared” away. But regardless I know where he is coming from now. I will always respect the rank, it means something then and now.
This was taken in the summer of 1987 on shellback day, this is on the equator in the Indian Ocean,I am the one with shirt unbuttoned in the middle
robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 10:33am

koimaster wrote:
August 4th 2020, 10:10am
hootchlid wrote:
August 3rd 2020, 6:26pm
Why did someone claim to be a naval aviator here?i sure hope codman buster him/her
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46751

He used to go by mortuus
I was enlisted in the Marines and whenever I hear about a fake Marine, I always think how do they get away with it?

There is so much minutiae that even if I had no suspicions I would pretty quick just because of little things

So I’ve concluded if you are a faker one thing you have to be careful about is avoiding the real thing because you are in danger of being inadvertently exposed by some minor slip

In retrospect I saw that in Mortuus. Dude is big naval aviator here, when I joined and my background as sub officer was described, crickets from the dude

Naval aviators, especially those that are super into it, are always going to bring up some bubble head thing and also just peer naval officers of similar age

It always happens and I’ve got decades of experience.

But not even a welcome aboard from the forums self-designated navy guy who makes so
much of it elsewhere on the board

So I always thought it odd he never commented on my stuff, just stayed clear of me completely

My take then was he was just having a jolly old time with his retired naval aviator act and didn’t need competition or something for whatever naval glory was to be milked from this assemblage

Didn’t bother me, I thought he was being kind of douchey laying it on so thick but at the same time most of the board seemed to enjoy the performance art and we are all here for the entertainment

It didn’t strike me that he was faking but it seemed kind of anomalous, I felt he was oddly avoiding the kind of ritual niceties that former naval officers would routinely do as a class, just like ex marines or any other self contained society/culture
Last edited by robatsu on August 4th 2020, 10:57am, edited 2 times in total.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2020, 10:53am

He apparently was a surface warfare officer for about 9 years or so and then decided he would rather be a staff officer. He is at another forum now and he plays the same act there and takes shots at this forum. He claims he was persecuted because he bragged too much about his career. He was banned because he attacked a member here more then once.

Cod & both suspected he was wrong after his intro post. He forgot all of his lies and tripped himself up more than once. At the other forum he keeps posting photos of flight jackets and of rings which state Naval Academy which he never attended. Years ago we had a guy called ODA5 who claimed to be a Major in the SF. I called him on it and he made all sorts of threats which I have in my archives. He was in fact an NCO in the SF and had served honorably in Vietnam. He used the fake rank and fake medals in a scam in Florida but was caught.

It was the members here who did the digging on the "aviator" and they did a good job.

1946-2006

robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 11:15am

There is a guy I went to boot camp with

We went to same platoon at Lejeune, dude deserted the first six months

Got popped a long while later, maybe even a year, came back to unit to await court martial

During this time he mouthed off to Sgt Newman, who decked him on the spot in the middle of the squadbay, we still lived in them then, breaking the guys jaw

After that they stuck him in brig for protection until he was court martialed out with a big chicken dinner. This is 1970s

Decades later, I get to wondering about the guy, I knew him pretty well back then

Facebook shows him claiming 20 years in corps recon marine etc

Just no way was it my business to call him out

As for Sgt, because it was so public and because the dude was in legal hold status, they kind of had to take Newman to NJP in front of battalion commander

This was really unpopular with everyone sine everyone thought the dude certainly had it coming

The colonel reflected this by dismissing charges

After that, Sgt Newman, always walked around nd with a heavy staff, like walking tall grade, in the barracks and the field. Became his hallmark

If you asked him what was the staff for, he’d say the colonel told him to keep his hands off people
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2020, 3:29pm

robatsu wrote:
August 4th 2020, 11:15am

Decades later, I get to wondering about the guy, I knew him pretty well back then

Facebook shows him claiming 20 years in corps recon marine etc

Just no way was it my business to call him out

In this particular case he was out in the open with his mouth, his constant bragging about his service and although he knew the words and phrases, it was evident to me and a few others that he was a fake. I chose to ignore it because he was liked by members here but I did warn him more than once. He got banned once for attacking members here who then asked me to allow him back it. It was a credit to them for being considerate but he went right back to his old tricks soon enough.

At some point a couple of members approached me about him and after warning him again he decided he was above the rules here, that he was being persecuted by the "stalker" and folks were not treating him with the respect he "deserved" as an "aviator". He got banned again after posting an attack on a well respected member here which I took down and he re-posted it twice more here and elsewhere.

1946-2006

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » August 4th 2020, 4:43pm

I remember the name mortuus, I don’t listen much to officer talk, even knowing I worked on the bridge and stood underway watches with them. They lived in another world pretty much, even on a small frigate they rarely hanged out with people even on westpac. There were noticeable exceptions to the rule, I was a lone wolf anyways for the most part.
robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 6:47pm

Yeah officers are from a different world/culture, the system is specifically designed that way how much one may like it or not

A tribe like any other

And mortuus just didn’t exhibit some tribal behavior for one whose naval service is on display i

There aren’t a lot of sub officers, or submariners for that matter. When I was in it was 2500 dub officers to 25,000 naval aviators

So you are just this rarity that most people outside certain milieus ever encounter in life

And even got a lot of naval aviators haven’t been around that many

It’s lije anything else, being real tall, having red hair

If you are an oddity you get used to the stock responses and naval aviators of his era, which included the top gun vs hunt for Red October era about which community was studlier

Will invariably say something just in the mere fact of me being ex submarine officer

Bern super predictable for decades esp from a vet capitalizing it

And it didn’t happen which just was an odd note

And IMO I couldn’t believe some of the watches this dude was dragging up, it really did start making me think he had extraordinarily bad taste in watches got any naval aviator much less a career one

That was odd
robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 9:17pm

Not surprising codguy was among those immediately suspicious given his background, which wasn’t at arms remove from aviators like I was

This is was about as close as I usually got. I was aboard the sub in this pic. Given the date there is about a 30 to 50 percent chance I was the officer of the deck up in the sail. I was doing that a lot during that time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nara.getar ... nce-d157cf

Something like this might have come up in a bit of chit chat with the dude if he was the real deal from the era. I don’t initiate it usually but I’ll engage in a bit of discourse when a dude like that hoves into view
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 4th 2020, 10:29pm

Codguy is not under suspicion. Let's get this done forthwith. I have broken bread with codguy, several times, and he is what he says he is--like most vets, he isn't immediately forthcoming with his CV, unlike, say, mortuus, who is a fucking asshole and needs to be outed.

Most vets say little to nothing about their service. Sometimes, when they get together with other vets, they tend to ramble on about their history, while us lessor mortals sit by and listen.

Then, there is Mr. Jingles, a rat, a poseur, a liar. Instead of leaning on his not inconsiderable service, he choose to pretend to be a naval aviator. He can go and fuck himself.

Codguy is the real deal. He's my pal.

That is all.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 4th 2020, 10:39pm

conjurer wrote:
August 4th 2020, 10:29pm
Codguy is not under suspicion. Let's get this done forthwith. I have broken bread with codguy, several times, and he is what he says he is--like most vets, he isn't immediately forthcoming with his CV, unlike, say, mortuus, who is a fucking asshole and needs to be outed.

Most vets say little to nothing about their service. Sometimes, when they get together with other vets, they tend to ramble on about their history, while us lessor mortals sit by and listen.

Then, there is Mr. Jingles, a rat, a poseur, a liar. Instead of leaning on his not inconsiderable service, he choose to pretend to be a naval aviator. He can go and fuck himself.

That is all.
He did not imply cod was a fake. To the contrary he meant that cod was the real deal and as such would be suspicious of jingles.

1946-2006

robatsu
Master of Time

Post by robatsu » August 4th 2020, 10:57pm

koimaster wrote:
August 4th 2020, 10:39pm
conjurer wrote:

That is all.

He did not imply cod was a fake. To the contrary he meant that cod was the real deal and as such would be suspicious of jingles.
Thanks for clarifying that.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 5th 2020, 6:54am

robatsu wrote:
August 4th 2020, 10:57pm
koimaster wrote:
August 4th 2020, 10:39pm
conjurer wrote:

That is all.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Indeed. I can see this now, as I'm reasonably sober. Carry on!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 5th 2020, 1:27pm

codguy wrote:
August 5th 2020, 7:59am
conjurer wrote:
Likewise, thanks conj

Well, he is ok as far as a squid goes. :)**