Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Post Reply
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 6255
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin
Contact:

Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by Thunder1 » December 13th 2019, 9:51am

Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire
This could be the last of many incidents for the hapless flattop.
By Kyle Mizokami
Dec 12, 2019

•Russia has only one aircraft carrier, the Cold War-era Admiral Kuznetsov.
•The ship is currently on fire at dock, after a fire sparked during work on the propulsion system.
•If the fire damage is serious enough the carrier will likely never sail again.

Russia’s only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, is on fire and might well never sail again. The trouble-stricken ship, which has seen fires, plane crashes, and narrowly escaped the loss of its drydock, is in flames. The fire reportedly covers the majority of the ship, and at this point it seems distinctly possible Russia’s largest ship will never sail again.

The incident took place this morning, while the big ship was dockside at the 35th Ship Repair Plant in Murmansk. According to Russian state media, the fire broke out during “repair works in the first power unit” by workers of the Zvyozdochka Ship Repair Center. A large plume of black smoke was visible from the upper deck.

RIA Novosti reports, “the cause of the fire was that the spark fell into the hold during welding, and the remains of fuel oil caught fire there.” The fire then spread to an area of 120 square meters. As of nine hours ago, the fire had reportedly spread to 600 meters, with the ship’s diesel fuel on fire.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... 255&src=nl
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
bbattle (Online)
Member
Posts: 538
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by bbattle » December 13th 2019, 3:54pm

India has had a similar nightmare with their first aircraft carrier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

Carriers cost a huge amount of money just to keep afloat. 6k crewmen, billions in aircraft onboard, nuclear reactors, etc. not to mention all the support ships that comprise a carrier group.

By all means, China, please go ahead and build as many carriers as you like. You will find it to be a bottomless pit for your money; money that could have been spent on fine watches, single malt Scotch, and hookers.
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 6255
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by Thunder1 » December 13th 2019, 4:16pm

bbattle wrote:
December 13th 2019, 3:54pm
India has had a similar nightmare with their first aircraft carrier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

Carriers cost a huge amount of money just to keep afloat. 6k crewmen, billions in aircraft onboard, nuclear reactors, etc. not to mention all the support ships that comprise a carrier group.

By all means, China, please go ahead and build as many carriers as you like. You will find it to be a bottomless pit for your money; money that could have been spent on fine watches, single malt Scotch, and hookers.
Sir, you're fitting in just fine, just fine...
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 7593
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by Falstaff » December 13th 2019, 4:17pm

On fire? Nothing new. The Admiral K. runs (after a fashion) on mazut - a super heavy, bottom of the tank petroleum distillate about one step above roofing tar. When under way (under her own power - as opposed to being towed by the tugs that accompany her everywhere) you can see the smoke plume from beyond the horizon.
"Although my eyes were open, they might just as well be closed."

A Whiter Shade of Pale
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 30594
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by conjurer » December 13th 2019, 9:54pm

Thunder1 wrote:
December 13th 2019, 4:16pm
bbattle wrote:
December 13th 2019, 3:54pm
India has had a similar nightmare with their first aircraft carrier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

Carriers cost a huge amount of money just to keep afloat. 6k crewmen, billions in aircraft onboard, nuclear reactors, etc. not to mention all the support ships that comprise a carrier group.

By all means, China, please go ahead and build as many carriers as you like. You will find it to be a bottomless pit for your money; money that could have been spent on fine watches, single malt Scotch, and hookers.
Sir, you're fitting in just fine, just fine...
Quite so. Kudos to Mr. battle for a fine posting.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 13130
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by biglove » December 13th 2019, 10:36pm

conjurer wrote:
December 13th 2019, 9:54pm
Thunder1 wrote:
December 13th 2019, 4:16pm
bbattle wrote:
December 13th 2019, 3:54pm
India has had a similar nightmare with their first aircraft carrier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

Carriers cost a huge amount of money just to keep afloat. 6k crewmen, billions in aircraft onboard, nuclear reactors, etc. not to mention all the support ships that comprise a carrier group.

By all means, China, please go ahead and build as many carriers as you like. You will find it to be a bottomless pit for your money; money that could have been spent on fine watches, single malt Scotch, and hookers.
Sir, you're fitting in just fine, just fine...
Quite so. Kudos to Mr. battle for a fine posting.
Indeed. Mr. Battle has been assimilated. He is a true Lord!
"I'll give you 5 bucks to spank me with a dead duck!"-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 6255
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin
Contact:

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Is on Fire

Post by Thunder1 » December 15th 2019, 7:37pm

conjurer wrote:
December 15th 2019, 10:35am
The Hunt For Toasted October.
Please..
Last edited by Thunder1 on December 16th 2019, 4:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Post Reply

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests