How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

Post by koimaster » August 22nd 2019, 8:33am

A Veteran ID Card (VIC) is a form of photo ID you can use to get discounts offered to Veterans at many restaurants, hotels, stores, and other businesses. Find out if you’re eligible for a Veteran ID Card—and how to apply.

Am I eligible for a Veteran ID Card?

You may be eligible if you meet both of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true. You:

Served on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard (including the Coast Guard), and
Received an honorable or general discharge (under honorable conditions)

If you received an other than honorable, bad conduct, or dishonorable character of discharge, you’re not eligible for a Veteran ID Card. If you have an uncharacterized or unknown discharge status, we’ll have to verify your eligibility before we approve your application.

You’ll need to provide a copy of your discharge papers when you apply for a VIC to prove your character of discharge.

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Veterans ID on Driver’s License or ID Card by State

list of states offering veterans designation logos on driver’s licenses and ID cards which now includes all 50 states plus Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. These state programs now make it easier for veterans to receive access to government benefits and discounts at restaurants and retailers, to which they are entitled.

In the past veterans had to carry their DD214 around to prove veteran status or seek a U.S. Government Veterans ID card which actually for some reason doesn’t exist. Currently all 50 states plus Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. that provide the veterans designation.

The states require varying proof of veterans status so be sure to check with the DMV before applying. Many will only require your DD214 but some states require additional documentation or will accept supplemental documentation to a DD214. Some states do not charge for this designation, but others do.

For states that do not currently offer veteran ID designations there are other options to get a Veterans ID card.

https://militarybenefits.info/veterans- ... -by-state/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: How to apply for a Veteran ID Card

Post by MAX » August 22nd 2019, 9:03am

Got my Vet ID card, easy process but havent used it for much yet. Card itself is underwhelming.

Havent gotten it put on my drivers license yet as when I did it years ago, DMV messed up and didnt add it even though I had supplied the right papers.

BTW, its free to do BUT the DMV here will change you $50 for the replacement lic. it is on.
Ill just use my passport until the next time my Lic. is due to renew.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 22nd 2019, 9:08am

MAX wrote:
August 22nd 2019, 9:03am
Got my Vet ID card, easy process but havent used it for much yet. Card itself is underwhelming.

Havent gotten it put on my drivers license yet as when I did it years ago, DMV messed up and didnt add it even though I had supplied the right papers.

BTW, its free to do BUT the DMV here will change you $50 for the replacement lic. it is on.
Ill just use my passport until the next time my Lic. is due to renew.
Showing my ID, both VA and Oregon License has saved me thousands of $$$$. Put new solid wood floors in the house in 2017 and saved not only the 10% Lowes gives but they added another 5% to the discount as well. At what was once called Oil Can Henrys when I change the oil, 25% discount. Helps to use it. I used to embarrass the hell out of my wife and now my daughter when I ask(ed) if there is a discount for vets. Now my daughter tells them that her dad is a vet at the places I go to for stuff and she gets my discount. :roll:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » August 22nd 2019, 9:22am

Good for them now. You earned it, use it.

Loews is about the only place Ive used mine but it did save me a few hundred on a new fridge.

We dont go out much but Im going to start asking for discounts more now when we do.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”