In memory of my father who would have 98 today

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
koimaster (Online)
Founder

In memory of my father who would have 98 today

Post by koimaster » June 27th 2019, 11:23am

^^^^
1946 photo taken before he left for NYC to become chargé d'affaires for military matters at the French Consulate. Note the dual Anchors on his sleeve denoting he is a Fusiliers Marins who fought with the 1st Marine Regiment (1er Régiment d'Infanterie de Marine, 1er RIMa and which was later joined with the 1er Régiment de Fusiliers Marins. Two guesses which medals are shown on my father's chest.

He was also not a naval aviator nor did I photo shop this photo of him to make it seem like he was General DeGaulle whom he knew by the way and with who he and my mother had dinner with when DeGaulle visited in 1960 or so.

Decorations awarded to the men of this regiment:
200 croix de guerre,
70 médailles militaires,
32 Légion d'honneur,
31 croix de la Libération.

The regimental colors of the 1er RFM was awarded 5 citations at the orders of the armed forces obtained for 1939-1945 with attribution of the croix de la Libération, the médaille de la Résistance française and la croix de guerre.

^^^^^

My father at the military hospital he was in for almost a year and another year to fully recover in and out of this hospital. Hospital room, grounds and a photo of him in North Africa in 1941

^^^^

Italy

^^^^^^
Parade of Fusiliers Marins in Paris after the war.

^^^^^

The photo of DeGaulle was taken by my father when DeGaulle was visiting the naval base in Brest in 1946.

^^^^
My father is holding the French Flag in this photo taken in NYC during a Bastille Day Parade.

^^^^^^^^^
Of the men in this photo, only my father survived the war.

By the way, to the idiot posting comments elsewhere about a list of Légion d'honneur recipients, France does not allow that list to be made public. Foreign people (not French) awarded the Légion d'honneur are public as they are not covered by French privacy laws nor EU privacy laws. I happen to have the original medals and written awards as well as my dad's dog tags (different then those of the US) and his uniforms which he could still get into. He never got bigger than 165lbs nor 5'9.

For the record, there were over 1,000,000 Légion d'honneur medals awarded since 1803. The great majority given to civilians including actors, poets, painters and politicians.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: In memory of my father who would be 96 today

Post by Thunder1 » June 27th 2019, 3:19pm

The Greatest Generation, bar none...can see why you're so proud of his accomplishments..
Last edited by Thunder1 on June 27th 2019, 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » June 27th 2019, 6:14pm

Damn, he had to be a tough guy. Nice tribute to the man.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
svaglic (Online)
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » June 29th 2019, 3:54pm

The man earned respect.
He was tough as nails, I’m sorry he had to go through what he went through and I am grateful to him.
If you or someone you know has been butt hurt over the lies Watchlords has exposed, you may be entitled to compensation. Please call 1-888-who-gives-a-fu** operators are standing by.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Britboy » July 1st 2019, 6:49am

That generation did what they had to do because they had morals, pride and the guts to stand up when it counted. Then they got on with their lives afterwards and did the best they could for their children, families and communities. I thank them all for what they did it makes me feel proud to have known some of these strong people
Pete26

Post by Pete26 » July 5th 2019, 4:02pm

What a great man, the French had to put up with a lot in WWII. In fact in both wars.

My wife's Grandfather was injured in the First World War in France and rescued by an American Medical team, before the Yanks joined in the fighting and was sent to an American hospital to recover. The Americans gave him the name Digger. He had been left for dead but thanks to the Americans survived to marry and return to Australia.

To this day the French, the Americans and the Australians share a great relationship, Thanks to men like your father.

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”