My youngest son

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
kevco
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

My youngest son

Post by kevco » March 11th 2019, 10:33am

So..this is something I have been struggling with as a parent.
My youngest son (Andrew, age 19) is being sworn in to the USAF tomorrow.

I am having a hell of a time letting go. :3 Guess who did the same thing when he was 19?
He scored a 93 out of 99 on the ASVAB.

You guys are the first online group I have posted on this.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: My youngest son

Post by koimaster » March 11th 2019, 11:24am

You should be proud he is following in your footsteps. One of my grandsons also just enlisted. He wants to join a Red Horse Squadron which will at least give him a job outside of the AF when he separates in the future.

Let go, you will be glad you did..........in time.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » March 11th 2019, 11:54am

My admiration for the both of you is real, trust me. Tremendous job there, and it's something I was never called upon to do.

Please accept my best wishes for a great career for your son. I have the feeling it will be exactly that. You fellows walk it like you talk it. Man; couldn't be more impressed.

This all makes me miss my father, who would have been so impressed as well.
Listening to Justin Zimmer trying to explain Glycine watches on ShopPU is like listening to Pernell Roberts explain what beans make a good cup of coffee.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 11th 2019, 2:17pm

Good choice as far as I am concerned. They got 22 years out of me. My nephew is stationed in Okinawa as we speak. Like I told him, just make sure you get a guaranteed slot for training that interests you. Congratulations to you and I hope your son enjoys his service.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » March 11th 2019, 3:25pm

Falstaff wrote:You raised an eagle - watch him fly! Congrats to you both.

Yeppers...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » March 11th 2019, 5:56pm

Transitions are always spooky shit but your relationship is about to hit a very cool stride for a father and son as he finds his way and all the parenting gives way to fathering.* Last one's a big deal allrighty but the best is always yet to come.

Have you decided on a boy and a girl watch for the first grandchildren (of his)?

*And mothering, of course. Please most certainly give my best and congratulations on that sewing room to the Mrs.!
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 11th 2019, 9:14pm

Whenever I think the younger generation has lost it's way and turned into a bunch of hapless, Starbuck's swilling pussies, I recall the fine young people from JBLM I had the honor to meet when I was working in Lakewood, WA. There are no better folks in America, and I wish your son a fine career, Mr. Co!
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » March 12th 2019, 6:03am

You fellas are the very, very best. I knew this was the best place to share the news. Mark1 I just sent him a text about the guaranteed training thing. I had read something on it yesterday. My biggest hope is that he will stay in for 20 or at least get a vocation he can use when he leaves.
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » March 12th 2019, 6:04am

artman wrote:Congrats Kev. It's hard letting go. I still freak out when my daughter drives at night and she's 24!

Ain't that the truth. I always tell him "text me when you get home so I know you're ok."
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » March 12th 2019, 6:05am

TemerityB wrote:My admiration for the both of you is real, trust me. Tremendous job there, and it's something I was never called upon to do.

Please accept my best wishes for a great career for your son. I have the feeling it will be exactly that. You fellows walk it like you talk it. Man; couldn't be more impressed.

This all makes me miss my father, who would have been so impressed as well.

This brought me to tears. I am so fortunate.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 12th 2019, 10:03am

kevco wrote:You fellas are the very, very best. I knew this was the best place to share the news. Mark1 I just sent him a text about the guaranteed training thing. I had read something on it yesterday. My biggest hope is that he will stay in for 20 or at least get a vocation he can use when he leaves.

My thoughts exactly. You know, the GI Bill now is much better than the one in our time. I have another nephew who was a sonar technician on submarines. After six years he wanted to get out-mainly the gone months at a time thing. I asked him how his sonar training could be applied in the civilian world. The answer is, very limited. So I encouraged him to rethink getting out. Cody told me he was going to college, which he stuck to (probably wouldn't have if he'd gone right after high school). The GI Bill paid for his four year degree and even a modest monthly living expense. He now works in IT, which he loves. Has a bachelor degree and no college debt. Anyway, if your son gets training that interests him he's more likely to make a career of it. If he decides not to for whatever reason, the GI Bill will be available to him.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » June 12th 2019, 2:15pm

kevco wrote:Welp...today is his first day in Happy Valley.

A couple of years ago while returning from Florida I stopped in San Antonio. Stayed at the Hilton on the River Walk. Damn that town has changed A LOT! My daughter had the trip with me as we visited my mother, her grandmother as well as attending classes for one of our vendors at the Swan at Disneyland. Took her to see the sights including Lackland and Randolph AFBs. They looked different then they did so many years ago when I arrived at Lackland at 2AM on a bus with other recruits.

My grandson is enjoying life down there. Perhaps the best choice he has ever made in life considering the path he seemed to have been headed for.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
kevco
Master of Time

Post by kevco » June 13th 2019, 6:22am

koimaster wrote:
kevco wrote:Welp...today is his first day in Happy Valley.

A couple of years ago while returning from Florida I stopped in San Antonio. Stayed at the Hilton on the River Walk. Damn that town has changed A LOT! My daughter had the trip with me as we visited my mother, her grandmother as well as attending classes for one of our vendors at the Swan at Disneyland. Took her to see the sights including Lackland and Randolph AFBs. They looked different then they did so many years ago when I arrived at Lackland at 2AM on a bus with other recruits.

My grandson is enjoying life down there. Perhaps the best choice he has ever made in life considering the path he seemed to have been headed for.

Alan I was there exactly 39 years ago. It was hell for me.
I was immature 19 year old. I too was on a bad path. Smoking dope, drinking way too much etc. Grateful he did not take that path.
I feel more anxious for him 48 hrs in to it than I did before he left.
Gonna write him this evening. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » June 13th 2019, 7:49am

It's plain your son is miles ahead of where I was at his age. As Alain, stated: you should be proud.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”