Where Were You & What Were You Doing the Day Kennedy Died?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Where Were You & What Were You Doing the Day Kennedy Die

Post by Luftwafflles » November 22nd 2013, 10:40pm

Horse Feathers wrote:
jaw wrote:Was in my 3rd grade classroom. The teacher (that sort of resembled Jackie), did her best to answer our questions.

Luftwafflles wrote:Third grade. The nuns herded us into the classroom to hear the news over the PA system. First time i ever saw nuns cry (I didn't think they were capable of doing it). Being stupid little kids, we originally thought it was JFK's son that was shot. Politics aside, you coudn't help but like the guy.

OK, in the other thread you guys are 58 and 60 respectively. What gives ?
Okay lemme think. 59/60 first grade, 60/61 2nd grade, 61/62 third grade....fuck, my bad, I was in fourth grade. All this time I was thinking third. But hey,that was a hell of a long time ago. I can barely remember last week.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Casimm
Master of Time

Post by Casimm » November 24th 2013, 12:55pm

Eighth grade in Catholic School, Massachusetts. Real nice day out too, sunny. Our Nun brought us into the TV room. Saw Walter Cronkite, telling the world about the Kennedy's death. I remember it like yesterday, Cronkite took off his glasses. Bowed his head, struggled to keep his composure and announced the President's death. The big nun in front of me, actually jumped vertically off the floor. Her Crucifix clanged, rosary beads bounced around endlessly. She cried, we all got down on our knees to pray. Some of the girls cried too. Sad day for everyone concerned. Just silence after that, walking home. People crying or walking like Zombies. Back in 1963. Hit home hard, since Kennedy was the first Catholic president. Came from Massachusetts too.
Rusty
Master of Time

Post by Rusty » November 23rd 2017, 6:29am

I was a senior in h.s. and that evening was to be the start of basketball season with the first game scheduled for that evening. We had a pep assembly in the gym and half-way through, the superintendent of schools walked onto the court to say, in a stern voice, that the assembly was over, buses were waiting outside to take us home, the game that night was canceled, AND President Kennedy had been shot.

By the time we got to the buses, someone said that they heard that the president was dead. When I got home, my mother was watching TV...and had been crying. I was glued to the TV all weekend and remember seeing Oswald shot on live TV by Jack Ruby.

I hope this country never goes through anything like that ever again.
Last edited by Rusty on November 23rd 2017, 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » November 23rd 2017, 7:36am

gregl515 wrote:I was in second grade. The principal announced the president had been shot and sent us home.

Same here...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » November 23rd 2017, 10:50am

Had just finished packing my gym bag in preparation for leaving for the Air Force the next morning. Walked up the street to my Grandfathers store and my Cousin told me what had happened. Needless to say I didnt leave the next day, not for several days and then all the airlines were sold out and I wound up taking a train from NE Pennsylvania to San Antonio.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » November 23rd 2017, 7:23pm

Grade 7, living in the--at the time--small village of Comox on Vancouver Island, in Canada, at Brooklyn Elementary (first year it had existed), with Mr. Leo Auterson as our Principal, and our teacher.

We got first word things were going sideways when we were outside at PE, just before lunch, learned Kennedy died by mid-late-lunch hour and never went back to class. Everyone went home.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » November 23rd 2017, 9:13pm

A month old I don't remember a thing. I'm guessing eating, sleeping, crying, and diaper soiling took up most of my day.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
tiktok

Post by tiktok » November 23rd 2017, 9:23pm

I was in grade school, my father was in Israel teacging that year but my mother was raised in Boston and had Jack fever like most women in the US. I was at recess and the bell rang early and we were informed he had been shot, watched it on school tv for twenty minutes and sent home. My mom was bawling like crazy I remember.
koimaster
Founder

Re: Where Were You & What Were You Doing the Day Kennedy Died?

Post by koimaster » November 22nd 2020, 2:26pm

A reminder of what terrorists have done in the past. An American hero.

Branch/service United States Navy
Years of service 1941–1945
Rank US Navy O3 infobox.svg Lieutenant
Unit
Motor Torpedo Squadron 2
Patrol Torpedo Boat 109
Patrol Torpedo Boat 59
Battles/wars
World War II
Solomon Islands campaign
Awards
Navy and Marine Corps Medal ribbon.svg Navy and Marine Corps Medal
Purple Heart ribbon.svg Purple Heart
American Defense Service Medal ribbon.svg American Defense Service Medal
American Campaign Medal ribbon.svg American Campaign Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal ribbon.svg Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with 3 service stars)
World War II Victory Medal ribbon.svg World War II Victory[1

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”