Where Were You & What Were You Doing the Day Kennedy Died?

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Re: Where Were You & What Were You Doing the Day Kennedy Die

Post by Bigjimzlll » November 21st 2013, 9:58pm

My Dad was no Kennedy fan. He grew up in MA, and was always talking about Joe Kennedy and bootlegging. He'd go on about separation of State and church and shit...but he shed a tear when Jack got shot. I was 5 and was home playing. My Mom called me in, she was 8 months preggers, and told me. I didn't know what to feel until I saw my old man tear up. Then Bobby...then Chappaquiddick Teddy and then poor JonJon.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 21st 2013, 11:15pm

abduksion wrote:Wasn't even born yet.

I myself was, but have no memory of the event. Barely three years old, I do (surprisingly) have a slight, foggy memory of the funeral, perhaps because my mother was crying, and she wasn't a woman given to tears.

Interestingly, my father, like Jim's, was no fan of the Kennedys--he certainly hated Teddy with a passion, and quit watching the Huntley-Brinkley Report because he thought it was too slanted towards the Kennedys (I was thirteen in my house before I realized that the term goddamn democrats was two words.) However, he didn't have an issue with JFK, possibly because he fought in WWII, and stood up to the godless commies.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » November 21st 2013, 11:20pm

Coming out of the boys restroom after ditching class. We heard a bell ring, teacher came down the hall in tears crying "the president has been shot!"

Since I was back east at the time, my father took the family down to Washington to see the funeral procession along with just about every one else that could get there. Never saw any of the famous moments until we saw them on TV though.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Luftwafflles » November 22nd 2013, 12:18am

Third grade. The nuns herded us into the classroom to hear the news over the PA system. First time i ever saw nuns cry (I didn't think they were capable of doing it). Being stupid little kids, we originally thought it was JFK's son that was shot. Politics aside, you coudn't help but like the guy.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » November 22nd 2013, 12:35am

jaw wrote:Was in my 3rd grade classroom. The teacher (that sort of resembled Jackie), did her best to answer our questions.

Luftwafflles wrote:Third grade. The nuns herded us into the classroom to hear the news over the PA system. First time i ever saw nuns cry (I didn't think they were capable of doing it). Being stupid little kids, we originally thought it was JFK's son that was shot. Politics aside, you coudn't help but like the guy.

OK, in the other thread you guys are 58 and 60 respectively. What gives ?

As for the day like Conjurer (we are the same age) I somewhat remember watching the funeral prepossession on TV. I remember Bobby Kennedy's death as I was older and we went to the small town near us to see his funeral train go by. The train was moving slowly because of the crowds and when it went by I saw Tom and Dick Smothers at the rear waving to onlookers (very odd and confusing to me)

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » November 22nd 2013, 12:41am

Horse Feathers wrote:
jaw wrote:Was in my 3rd grade classroom. The teacher (that sort of resembled Jackie), did her best to answer our questions.

Luftwafflles wrote:Third grade. The nuns herded us into the classroom to hear the news over the PA system. First time i ever saw nuns cry (I didn't think they were capable of doing it). Being stupid little kids, we originally thought it was JFK's son that was shot. Politics aside, you coudn't help but like the guy.

OK, in the other thread you guys are 58 and 60 respectively. What gives ?

As for the day like Conjurer (we are the same age) I somewhat remember watching the funeral prepossession on TV. I remember Bobby Kennedy's death as I was older and we went to the small town near us to see his funeral train go by. The train was moving slowly because of the crowds and when it went by I saw Tom and Dick Smothers at the rear waving to onlookers (very odd and confusing to me)

Luft must have been held back.
Badum, bum.
abduksion

Post by abduksion » November 22nd 2013, 1:39am

conjurer wrote:
abduksion wrote:Wasn't even born yet.

I myself was, but have no memory of the event. Barely three years old, I do (surprisingly) have a slight, foggy memory of the funeral, perhaps because my mother was crying, and she wasn't a woman given to tears.

Interestingly, my father, like Jim's, was no fan of the Kennedys--he certainly hated Teddy with a passion, and quit watching the Huntley-Brinkley Report because he thought it was too slanted towards the Kennedys (I was thirteen in my house before I realized that the term goddamn democrats was two words.) However, he didn't have an issue with JFK, possibly because he fought in WWII, and stood up to the godless commies.

My mother at the time was around three also I doubt she remembers anything? Now that I thing about it I believe her and my grandparents were still living in the Azores? I believe they move to the US in either the late 60's early 70's.
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » November 22nd 2013, 6:31am

At my birthday party. TV news caught my eyes and I told the moms at the dining table what had happened.

My moms response was yeah sure, now go play.

About a hour later I hear her say.....oh my god children, the president has been shot.

FTR- Robert was killed on my older sisters birthday. True.

Welcome to the watchlords liberal echo chamber

Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » November 22nd 2013, 11:25am

I was in first grade. They let us go home early. We all watched TV for the next several days, and everyone just seemed very sad.

I was also living in Memphis when King was killed. I was 11. Remember I was at a friend's house throwing a baseball in the front yard, when his father (a real redneck who I did not like) came out and said, "You better get home. They just shot that nigger." A day I'll never forget either. Martial law, riots, etc. followed.
Randy in Nashville
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 22nd 2013, 11:38am

Wasn't born until '68 but I do remember Reagan being shot and the Challenger explosion. Know exactly where I was when those two events happened.

One of my earlier "newsworthy" memories is if watching the evening news and seeing the helicopter above the embassy in Saigon as we pulled out of Vietnam.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
TimeBeing

Post by TimeBeing » November 22nd 2013, 1:08pm

10th Grade Algebra class. I was 15. The teacher sat beside my desk and we listened to the announcement from the office. My teacher cried. We walked to our next class in total silence. Watched everything on TV afterwards...the funeral...the procession with the riderless horse. Unreal. It was my middle brother's birthday...he was 5; got Cancer at 16 and died at 50. These days bring up many memories. Been listening to many conspiracy theories around the Kennedy assassination..what do you guys think?
Today is also St. Cecila's Day (patron Saint of music)...I like that.
TimeBeing

Post by TimeBeing » November 22nd 2013, 1:09pm

10th Grade Algebra class. I was 15. The teacher sat beside my desk and we listened to the announcement from the office. My teacher cried. We walked to our next class in total silence. Watched everything on TV afterwards...the funeral...the procession with the riderless horse. Unreal. It was my middle brother's birthday...he was 5; got Cancer at 16 and died at 50. These days bring up many memories. Been listening to many conspiracy theories around the Kennedy assassination..what do you guys think?
Today is also St. Cecila's Day (patron Saint of music)...I like that.
hcharles
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1081120685253371

Post by hcharles » November 22nd 2013, 1:58pm

16 years old, was in high school study hall, remember a phone call to our superintendent, the phone dropped to the desk top, and our super told us Kennedy was shot. The mood was so somber, no one could say anything. It was an eerie feeling. Never saw a grown man cry like that before.
Went to church on sunday, and one of the ushers, who was having a smoke, heard on the radio Oswald was shot, and rushed back in to tell everyone. The memory can still recall the feelings of disbelief and anger.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » November 22nd 2013, 2:41pm

For some reason, I do have a pretty good memory of big events as a child. I was only five, yet I remember coming home from school, first grade at the time and my mother had the TV on at the time. I was too young to process the importance of it all; I just remember that the president had beeen "assassinated" and all the TV coverage afterwards. Good heavens, my parents let me watch all that stuff.

I couldn't figure out why it happened or how any of it made any sense at all.

I still can't.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Dr.Morningwood
Watchlord WIS

Post by Dr.Morningwood » November 22nd 2013, 3:23pm

I was not even 2 years old, so no memory for me. I know my Dad was at work, and my Mom was out shopping with me and my brother(4 years old) when it happened. She told me she heard someone at the grocery store talking about it, and she left the store immediately and headed home.

I remember when Robert Kennedy was assassinated. The train carrying his body from NYC to Washington passed right through my hometown, and my mother took us to watch the train go by.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 22nd 2013, 4:02pm

It was a bitterly cold day and I remember sitting in the living room watching Cronkite make the announcement and get chocked up, and my mom in tears as we watched.

My most poignant memory is of the funeral procession with the riderless horse, empty boots set backwards in the stirrups. I was deeply affected by it, and I remember my dad's tearful explanation that the tradition was symbolic of a fallen leader looking back on his troops one last time. It's the image I most associate with JFK to this day.

I believe that the assassination of JFK is the most pivotal event in US history.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » November 22nd 2013, 6:31pm

Oh well, born in '65 you bunch of old bastards.

I also grew up in MA and my grandmother (she raised me) hated the "Tin God" Kennedys. She even criticized Jackie for not changing out of the bloody dress; she thought she was grandstanding.
For the record, she hated Nancy Reagan, too. You know? She was the sweetest, kindest person I ever knew, but man, she hated her some fucking Kennedys.

wire-paladin
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 100007047102962

Post by wire-paladin » November 22nd 2013, 7:55pm

i was a17 yr old freshman departing a economics geography class headed for the coffee shop when a student (don't know em)coming my way said"did you hear the president was shot".
At this time of my life i was apolitical but loved my president. After his death and replaced by the sleaze LBJ my life took a downward spiral. Beautiful cars and faster women were my passion. I spent most nights roaming the n.e.Portland bars and taverns. A tall skinny white boy who could dance, easily fit into the black populace considering this was pre Watt's period.
)
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » November 22nd 2013, 8:24pm

I was 10 years old. At the time I had no clue what to feel other than to mimic what the grownups showed. I guess I was sad, but I didn't know why at the time. I probably would have been more affected if it were one of the original 7 astronauts though. I knew a lot about them.
gregl515
WIS - Retired

Post by gregl515 » November 22nd 2013, 10:17pm

I was in second grade. The principal announced the president had been shot and sent us home.
"When you can't feel pain, you're dead!", Sgt. Laskodi, U.S.M.C.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker, U.S.M.C. (The Sands of Iwo Jima).

Return to “Anything and Everything Else”