"Nicolet" Returns - With Kickstarter & Steven Jay

TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

"Nicolet" Returns - With Kickstarter & Steven Jay

Post by TemerityB » April 5th 2019, 2:25pm

I appears that Steven Jay is back with Croton, as if that means anything - and he's attempting to bring back the "luxury" Nicolet fashion brand ... on Kickstarter, naturally (I learned of this in an email from something called NBI Enterprises - which has the same address as Croton's new West Nyack digs, so two plus two equals four, I guess). What a come-on: "Save $700 off the post-Kickstarter price!" They're close to getting their funding, which tells me there are still a lot of WGs hiding under seat cushions and table mats.

If you want to see lipstick on a pig, click the link below the photo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ni ... ject_email
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Re: "Nicolet" Returns - With Kickstarter & Steven Jay

Post by TemerityB » April 5th 2019, 2:29pm

BigCheez wrote:That has Crouton written all over it.

Doesn't it? And Croton's current stuff looks like the watches you win for popping a balloon with a dart at the country fair. I mean, it's all over but the foreign bills of lading, I guess.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 5th 2019, 3:20pm

Looking back at the old days, I actually cringe recalling that I bought one or two Croutons then. Really, there were only two things that made Crouton (and it's "upper end" brand, Nicolet) just slightly better than Invicter--one, the company wasn't located in the Florida Wartche Triangle, and two, the Motherfucking Merm and his oleaginous Boy Friday, Steven Jay, were such fun to parody. Of the two, the Merm was far more entertaining to wartche--err, watch; like a carny barker, the Merm was there to move watches, boychik, and didn't put up with the antics of Jawbone at Shop.

Jay was the more interesting of the two--while the Merm was pure schtick, Jay, always nebulous in his career (if fleecing the simps can be called that), moved from company to company, from Nicolet, to Gevril, with the effortless ease of a skilled con man. When he found himself selling Nicolet, he always seemed to be the prodigal grifter, returning to the fold to sell shit for $99, some of which came with signed documents of authenticity. With his complicated glasses, Mephistophelian goatee and Brioni suits, Jay always acted like a Prince of Short Con.

It's funny to see him chasing nickels and dimes on kickstarter.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Bahoomba » April 5th 2019, 7:58pm

foghorn wrote:The Croton Super C was a great watch. The first one, with the round case.

Had this thing at least 11 years. The only thing amazing about it to me is that I know it's never had a battery change, and yet I just checked and the damn thing is still running. The other thing of note is that my watch guy told me it was the hardest watch to size he ever worked on - the pins just don't move and they're so ultra-cheap they even break in half.

Rule 1,493: Never photograph a watch on a wrist. On a lovely rock in a pond or a parapet, certainly - but never on a wrist.
- Chapter Seven, The Bazinga! Way To Become A Blogger Billionaire
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » April 6th 2019, 9:18am

Bahoomba wrote:The other thing of note is that my watch guy told me it was the hardest watch to size he ever worked on - the pins just don't move and they're so ultra-cheap they even break in half.

Same here. My watch gu yat the time was a swiss trained watchmaker with years of experience. Very quiet and laid back. But I heard stuff coming from his work area that would make Andrew Dice Clay cringe.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » April 6th 2019, 9:54am

foghorn wrote:
Bahoomba wrote:The other thing of note is that my watch guy told me it was the hardest watch to size he ever worked on - the pins just don't move and they're so ultra-cheap they even break in half.

Same here. My watch gu yat the time was a swiss trained watchmaker with years of experience. Very quiet and laid back. But I heard stuff coming from his work area that would make Andrew Dice Clay cringe.

At least you had a gu yat. Many don't
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » April 6th 2019, 10:20am

Falstaff wrote:
foghorn wrote:

At least you had a gu yat. Many don't

Few achieve the level of gu yat. I am truly Bles sed.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » April 18th 2019, 8:17am

They made their goal. Barely, but they made it. I almost hope the backers get screwed out of their money so I don’t have to see sales forums flooded with this and all the glorified reviews.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.

Return to “Invicta”