Invicta's "Gibeon" Meteorite

AJC
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Invicta's "Gibeon" Meteorite

Post by AJC » December 22nd 2012, 6:05pm

I came across some interesting information while researching Gibeon meteorite vendors.

The following is from http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/AZ_Skies_Links/Gibeon/index.html
They sell both kinds of meteorite listed here.

Now several things popped out at me. The fact that this fraud is originating from China and the fact that they say they need to be plated to be rustproof. Invicta has sold watches for a little while now with supposed Gibeon meteorite dials, but with their track-record I'm thinking this may be another eco-friendly mother-of-pearl, sandstone, diamond bezel instance and that their "Gibeon meteorite" is just plated Muonionalusta meteorite, a much cheaper rock.

Here are some examples of Muonionalusta meteorite:

Compared to true Gibeon meteorite which doesn't need to be plated to keep it from rusting. Whoever heard of plating Gibeon before Invicta? Rolex sure as hell doesn't do it!

A million bucks says Muonionalusta is what Invicta uses to make their "Gibeon" meteorite dials.
---
-ajc
Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Invicta's "Gibeon" Meteorite

Post by Luftwafflles » December 22nd 2012, 6:32pm

Maybe this is why the Lalo announced he wouldn't be making any more watches with "da gibeon"? He knew the jig was up. And really, the Invicta meteor dials I've seen look exactly like the cheap shit, and nothing like the good stuff.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

AJC
Watchlord WIS

Post by AJC » December 22nd 2012, 6:42pm

Kahuna74 wrote:I seem to remember some one posting on FB that there Invicta "Gibeon" Dial had rusted? I think it was about a year ago, maybe a little bit longer. I know I remember reading the post back when I was checking out Invicta, about the same time I found the watch lords.

Is this it?

---
-ajc
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » December 22nd 2012, 6:52pm

AJC wrote:
Kahuna74 wrote:I seem to remember some one posting on FB that there Invicta "Gibeon" Dial had rusted? I think it was about a year ago, maybe a little bit longer. I know I remember reading the post back when I was checking out Invicta, about the same time I found the watch lords.

Is this it?

There was more after that too. Here's the whole thread:

http://www.watchdorks.net/meteoriterust.pdf
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 22nd 2012, 6:59pm

AJC, some really good food for thought here. I bet there are experts out there who could just look at those watch faces and know the difference - the problem is, at the cost of those IWG POS, I can't imagine anyone being able/willing to crack one open to ascertain.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » December 22nd 2012, 7:23pm

There's also the question as to whether Invicta's Gibeon meteorite has always been faux, or did they do a downgrade/switcheroo at about the time when all these color plated versions started appearing... early models (as I recall) were only available in the "natural" color, not gold or black.

Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Kahuna74 » December 22nd 2012, 7:26pm

AJC wrote:

Is this it?

Open publication - Free publishing

Yes AJC, I think it is!
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Post by AJC » December 22nd 2012, 7:50pm

Kahuna74 wrote:That would also explain the gold plating I think. Covering up the shit they are using.

Since the cheaper meteorite needs to be plated with metal anyway, why not be "the only watch company to offer different color meteorite dials"? I think they had 3-4 different varieties.

WatchDorks.Net wrote:There's also the question as to whether Invicta's Gibeon meteorite has always been faux, or did they do a downgrade/switcheroo at about the time when all these color plated versions started appearing... early models (as I recall) were only available in the "natural" color, not gold or black.

The world may never know.
---
-ajc
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 22nd 2012, 8:10pm

WatchDorks.Net wrote:The world may never know.

That should be IWG's advertising slogan.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » December 23rd 2012, 8:33am

boscoe wrote:the versions I have had are never as richly marked as those used to sell the watches on TV.

I'm sure they cherrypick samples to use on air. The first meteorite dial I bought early on was one of the Speedway XL models, which I subsequently sold. It was an adequate, but not stellar dial.

The one I still have is the Ocean Ghost SW200 auto. It actually has pretty decent striations. It's the only Invicter I've consciously made the decision to keep (I have one other Invicter that was a gift from a relative, that I keep for sentimental reasons).

abduksion

Post by abduksion » December 23rd 2012, 1:10pm

I never knew there was fake meteorite But now that I think of it you could be right. Every time I hear MD say that other company charges an extra $8k for the dial that right there should be a red flag.
Last edited by abduksion on December 23rd 2012, 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimeBeing

Post by TimeBeing » December 23rd 2012, 1:38pm

If people don't tell the truth on one thing, what make us think they will tell us the truth on ANYTHING! "Buyer Beware" indeed! This is a huge load of crap they are selling! Thanks for bringing this up again!
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Post by jaw » December 23rd 2012, 2:05pm

Good Catch AJC,

This has been a burning question for long time. This watch never smelled right. And while we don't have proof yet, I've got to admit the purported MO fits Invicta like a glove.

That said...yes, I too was taken (to the cleaners) by Invicta on this watch. Specifically the second gold treated release. While I've been hanging on to for sale to someone that still loves them - I'm ready to sacrifice it for the greater good. Cause, it probably isn't worth shit anyway. Maybe we can get a class action suit out the the process.

@Koi: Let's get in touch and set it up with your geologist contact.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » December 23rd 2012, 4:01pm

whocares, yeah, dude - I think some time I ago I found sites where some companies sold meteorite dials and posted the links here just as you did.

Even the claim of "only companies" can't stand up to scrutiny, because IWG pulls every product claim they make right out of their asses because nobody there seems to be professional enough to even fact check before the BS starts flowing.

Return to “Invicta”