Specifications:
Movement: High Grade Caliber Japanese Miyota 9015 Automatic
Crystal: Sapphire
Crown: Screw Down
Case Measurements: 45mm
Case Thickness: 16.5mm
Water Resistance: 100 ATM - 1000 meters - 3300 feet
24mm Lug Width

Pictures (Note: Watch pictured with 24mm black Panatime Strap with yellow contrasting stitching)

Thoughts:

Appearance:
* 45mm Case size is a great size for me personally. I prefer 43-47mm case sizes.
* Dial is a nice vibrant yellow, sporty with a nice sunburst type pattern that has some depth to it.
* Hands tend to blend in a bit with the numeral markers. They are outlined in black, but as I get older it's nice to have the entire hands as a contrasting color for ease of visibility.
* Lume. Initial impression is very nice. The hands, number markers and bezel all lume up. The Bezel is actually brighter than the rest. I haven't estimated the time before fade, so I'll keep an eye on that. Overall initial impression is very good, but the hands are a bit harder to read as the bezel lume is so bright.
* The case is a nice brushed stainless steel construction.

Functionality:
* Crown is a screw down. Nice size, easy to grip with the deep grooves.
* Winding of the 9015 seems to be smooth. Reserve is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 48 hrs. Not an issue for me as I usually change watches daily.
* Bezel is a 90 click unidirectional, extremely smooth, easy to grip operation. Very little slop in the bezel was also noted.
* Helium escape valve is present, it will never be used by this guy.
* Movement is a Miyota 9015 28,8K vibes/hr. The sweeping of the seconds hand is extremely smooth. No stutters on this. This is my first 9015 so I'm not very familiar with the movement.

Comfort:
* The watch with the Panatime strap is very comfortable. I've read a lot of negatives on the DB bracelets, so I will change it to bracelet to see what my thoughts are. The watch at 45mm does not rock back and forth on my 7 1/2-7 3/4 inch wrist. The case thickness at 16.5mm may present an issue if chosen to wear under one of my dress shirts, I will have to see. I'm impressed with the depth rating to case thickness ratio. Is it really 1000M resistant? That has yet to be determined (reference older threads here).

Summary: I'll hold out on this until I wear this a few days. Initial impressions are surprisingly good. I'm not a DB fanboi to say the least. I didn't want to like this watch. I asked Alain for a trade so that I could evaluate a DB first hand without shelling out cash and he ended up just sending it to me, which was very generous. This model and the Alpha500 are the few of the DB's I like in terms of design. MORE TO COME.....

Drifter on Watchlords
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Deep Blue Master Explorer

Post by conjurer » May 25th 2012, 8:07am

Nice review, Noob, with great pics as well.

I know a lot of guys look down their noses at Deep Blue, but compared to a lot of the micro-brands out there, who are basically sourcing their parts from the same places that Stan does, DB holds up pretty well value-wise.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » May 25th 2012, 8:12am

Thanks John. I googled Deep Blue Master Explorer and found this Review posted at WUS in Jan. of this year: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/deep-blue-master-explorer-1000m-630966.html

Seems although this gentlemen was much more detailed that I with great pics as well, we found some common ground.
Drifter on Watchlords
ocean (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by ocean » May 25th 2012, 10:51am

Watch Noob wrote:

Comfort:
* The watch with the Panatime strap is very comfortable. I've read a lot of negatives on the DB bracelets, so I will change it to bracelet to see what my thoughts are. The watch at 45mm does not rock back and forth on my 7 1/2-7 3/4 inch wrist. The case thickness at 16.5mm may present an issue if chosen to wear under one of my dress shirts, I will have to see. I'm impressed with the depth rating to case thickness ratio. Is it really 1000M resistant? That has yet to be determined (reference older threads here).

The bracelet is the worst thing about this watch. I gave DB a shot when Bigjim put his up for sale haven't had time to do the review. I will say this
movement great
Sapphire crystal a plus
Bracelet for guy that owned a strap company I'd expect better but No the recessed end links Image

I didn't know what expect from DB
Disappointment check
TV Brand for sure
Like Incrapta for under a 100 I wouldn't spend more than 250 on any Beep Dlue
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
RatRacer

Post by RatRacer » May 25th 2012, 11:54am

I'm more interested in the movement. This model seems to be the only reasonable one around to get a 9015 in, that doesn't look/feel like a can of tuna strapped to the wrist. (NFW,Android)
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Post by Watch Noob » May 25th 2012, 12:21pm

Last price listed on Slop for this was $234.70. Is it worth the asking price?

I would have to do some research, but I think to get a watch with this movement, it's fair.
You could get a Lumtec B-16 for $925 or m61 for $795. Helson Tortuga for $599. Various Androids in the low to mid $200's. So if you are interested in the movement, this may be a way to go.
Drifter on Watchlords
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 29th 2012, 2:43am

If it was pretty bland but had great components...fair enough. Or made in China but an interesting design...fine. But a basic bland design and chinese construction?

I just don't see what the attraction is. Image

Last edited by Anonymous on June 29th 2012, 2:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
ocean (Online)
Master of Time

Post by ocean » June 29th 2012, 2:45am

eddiea wrote:Nice review , have one on an Extreme strap, love it... Image

Haven't had time to do it but heard it was a pain in the ass to change the bracelet out?
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » June 30th 2012, 8:29am

ocean wrote:
eddiea wrote:Nice review , have one on an Extreme strap, love it... Image

Haven't had time to do it but heard it was a pain in the ass to change the bracelet out?

Hmmm ...not too bad Image
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » June 30th 2012, 2:31pm

Excellent review, Noob...that strap makes the watch look amazing. I have a couple of the less-expensive DB's and I think they're a good, basic value for the most part. I do worry that they're being "Shopped," which is another way of saying that selling on SNBC tends to be the prelude for a large, disappointing 'dumb-down' of the product by the owner, aided and abetted by the brainless sellers - 'hosts', to some - over in Eden Prairie.
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Post by AJC » June 30th 2012, 5:37pm

Mortuus wrote:Excellent review, Noob...that strap makes the watch look amazing. I have a couple of the less-expensive DB's and I think they're a good, basic value for the most part. I do worry that they're being "Shopped," which is another way of saying that selling on SNBC tends to be the prelude for a large, disappointing 'dumb-down' of the product by the owner, aided and abetted by the brainless sellers - 'hosts', to some - over in Eden Prairie.

Eden prairie and geneva are opposite sides of the horological coin.
---
-ajc
spanky1

Post by spanky1 » June 30th 2012, 5:43pm

At Some Point DB needs to lose there free pass on this forum. Too much dirt on their there porch steps to deserve such accolades. Take off the blinders WL Stepford Wives. It's all Chinese.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » June 30th 2012, 5:50pm

spanky1 wrote:At Some Point DB needs to lose there free pass on this forum. Too much dirt on their there porch steps to deserve such accolades. Take off the blinders WL Stepford Wives. It's all Chinese.

My DB2000 has a sapphire crystal. An ETA2836-2(Swiss) It is anti magnetic and is solid as a tank.

Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » June 30th 2012, 6:48pm

I have a Movado(museum) nice enuff watch, but with my line of work Industrial Electrician, I was looking for something beefy with a faraday cage assembly.
The DB I have was not cheap. I think I gave amost 400 clams for it. I've also had the cheaper ones. There is a difference.

I guess to each his own...I just don't feel the need to tell someone not to buy/wear ehat they want....I ain't that impotent
spanky1

Post by spanky1 » June 30th 2012, 6:54pm

Some Chinese Brands get hammered (no love on the WL forum) Others tend to get a free pass even though they have SKELETONS in their closets. Just trying to keep it real.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 30th 2012, 7:17pm

spanky1 wrote:Some Chinese Brands get hammered (no love on the WL forum) Others tend to get a free pass even though they have SKELETONS in their closets. Just trying to keep it real.

This is a good point, Spanky. Most of the micro diver brands use a majority of their components sourced from China, if their watches are not actually made in China. DB, as far as I know, has all their stuff manufactured in China as well. Regarding Chinese components, I'd guess that most of the low-to-middle level Swiss Made stuff uses Chinese cases.

The big difference between DB and the micros is size of production (Stan probably moves in one hour on Shop what most micros make and sell in a year) and price.

Like it or not, DB offers some pretty decent quality for the price, compared to the other micros out there. I've owned a couple, and flipped 'em pretty fast, but they weren't garbage. They were actually pretty good.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » June 30th 2012, 8:00pm

I am far from anti-micro and certainly not anti-chinese construction either (that comes down to whether the QC is adequate or not)...but a bunch of DB stuff is just off-the shelf and rebranded.

Does DB do any cases not shared with other makers?
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » June 30th 2012, 8:20pm

I've never owned a DB so I can't speak to their qualities. At the risk of invoking Slowpo's ire, there is nothing wrong IMO with many of the Chinese built watches. The watches provenance-whatever it is, and parts, should be reflected in it's price. If the seller is honest and the price is reasonable, you can get a decent watch for a fair price that is Chinese made.
The Chinese are capable of making quality products-they just cost more than the crap they also make. I have recently sold 4 Chinese made micros for more than I paid for them. There was no issue with the watches-just a move beyond the "tool" diver thing.
I don't presently have any watches with the Miyota 9015 but I would'nt have a problem paying $200 or so for one, knowing full well, it was Chinese made.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » June 30th 2012, 8:39pm

AJC wrote:Eden prairie and geneva are opposite sides of the horological coin.

Very well said, AJ...wish I'd thought to say that!
:OOOL:

@Spanky: I'm curious as to why you dislike Chinese watches/components so much; is it a quality issue, or is it simply the perception that (or even the experience of) anything from the PRC is sub-par junk? (I ask because I vividly remember that being the perception of anything from Japan 45+ years ago, and look at where they are now: names like Miyota, Seiko, Orient Star, etc.) Do you feel they have brought down the overall quality of watches, irrespective of brand, etc? FTR: I am absolutely not inferring racism here, as I know you better than that; I'm just curious as to why the complete dismissal of any and all watches with a connection to China (or, if you happen to be from New England, 'Chiner' Image )...

@Mark1: Well said, sir...

Return to “Watch Reviews”