Pablo Picasso’s Jaeger-LeCoultre

Luxury and Independent Watch brands
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Pablo Picasso’s Jaeger-LeCoultre

Post by koimaster » September 16th 2019, 10:23am

Found! The Dramatic Case Of Pablo Picasso’s Jaeger-LeCoultre Triple Calendar Moon Phase

by Nick Gould

In 1954, famed photographer Yousuf Karsh took a portrait of Spanish artist Pablo Picasso – which is not that unusual as Picasso was one of the most photographed artists of his time. In this particular photo, however, Picasso is wearing a late 1940s Jaeger-LeCoultre Reference 141.008.1 triple calendar with moon phase and gorgeous teardrop lugs. And that makes it noteworthy for our story today.

You can see that famous photo at karsh.org/photographs/pablo-picasso.

Since the photo is in black and white I couldn’t determine the case material, but considering the era I thought it was most likely 18-karat yellow gold (which was later confirmed).

Picasso was seen wearing the watch periodically until approximately 1956 but it had not been seen after that. Hodinkee founder Ben Clymer put it on his list of Twelve Of The Greatest Missing Watches.

Where did the watch go after Picasso passed away in 1973? I have recently deduced that the timepiece ended up with one of his daughters.

Paloma Picasso, born in 1949, is the youngest daughter of the painter and his then-partner, artist Françoise Gilot.

Paloma, who last saw her father as a teenager – the artist barred Gilot and her children from his home after the publication of Gilot’s 1964 book Life with Picasso – fought for a share of his estate after his passing in 1973 as Picasso did not leave a will. The then-24-year-old Paloma was successful in obtaining a share of the 45,000 works he left behind, likely worth billions and divided between seven heirs at the time. She went on to make a name for herself as a designer.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/09/13/foun ... oon-phase/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Luxury & Independent Watchmakers”