New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

User avatar
pauliedoggs
Posts: 18
Joined: August 21st 2020, 6:02pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Southeastern CT
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by pauliedoggs » September 2nd 2020, 12:14pm

biglove wrote:
September 1st 2020, 8:46pm
^^^Sharp Dagaz and that blue Scurfa is quite nice.

Scurfa definitely makes a well built watch that is a bargain.
Thanks! It is definitely a solid watch. It's a great grab and go piece and the lume is decent.
I just sold my Dagaz Typhoon Tii with the blue dial and Marine Master style hands--another well-built watch. The CAV-1 is one of my favorites. If I go to a watch GTG I usually wear that one for some reason.
User avatar
pauliedoggs
Posts: 18
Joined: August 21st 2020, 6:02pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Southeastern CT
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by pauliedoggs » September 2nd 2020, 12:19pm

conjurer wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 7:56am
Anybody who has a Gee Rangeman in his collection is all right by me, Mr. doggs.
Likewise!! I just came across the JaysandKays steel adapters with the spring-bars. They were a game-changer for me on this watch. I love the watch and the movement but the strap is not very comfortable on my smaller wrists. The adapters make it so I can attach any strap I want. I have it on the silicone rubber that came with the Seiko Digi-Tuna. Very easy to wear now. I'll upload some pics when I get home from work.
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8088
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by Falstaff » September 2nd 2020, 12:32pm

doggs, as a collector with many interests, I would not disparage another's hobby, but I just don't get the flashlight thing. I do watches, fountain pens and guns among others, but what do you look for in a flashlight? After all, you just push the button and the light comes on, right? Off, on, off, on. Is it appearance or lumens or rarity or what - or is it all of those and something else? Do you do an EDC with flashlights? Can you customize 'em with more powerful leds or souped up batteries? Again, no disrespect intended.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
User avatar
pauliedoggs
Posts: 18
Joined: August 21st 2020, 6:02pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Southeastern CT
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by pauliedoggs » September 2nd 2020, 6:21pm

Falstaff wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 12:32pm
doggs, as a collector with many interests, I would not disparage another's hobby, but I just don't get the flashlight thing. I do watches, fountain pens and guns among others, but what do you look for in a flashlight? After all, you just push the button and the light comes on, right? Off, on, off, on. Is it appearance or lumens or rarity or what - or is it all of those and something else? Do you do an EDC with flashlights? Can you customize 'em with more powerful leds or souped up batteries? Again, no disrespect intended.
No offense taken—like, at all :) I’m not a hardcore LED light collector. I like LED lights because they never burn out and if you drop it you won’t break the bulb. I’m not really into the modification of them either. I do like the fact that you can get ones that have adjustable brightness; that way, I can carry one light and have bright, eye-blinding power (if needed) or the look under the car seat for something low setting. I have several different ones for different applications. I have a larger, rechargeable light for taking out the trash that way I can completely flood the back yard. My preferred EDC is a Surefire EDCL1-T which takes one CR123 primary cell. It’s small and powerful and pairs well when I carry. It has a low and a bright setting. I also keep extra batteries close by. I have a few other lights that are rechargeable too—those stay around the house and one at work. I prefer lights that are designed for tactical use because if I’m going to pull it out in a self-defense situation I want the light to come on with a thumb press and I want it in my hand so I can strike with it. My flashlight and my knife are probably the most useful items I carry. I feel naked without them. I hope all that rambling answers your questions somewhat. I just like lights—they fascinate me. The technology has advanced considerably since I was a younger man. I keep them and have them all over the place: home, car, office, back pack, my wife’s purse, next to my daughter’s bed for when the power goes out.

EDCL1-T photo from internet:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 8088
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by Falstaff » September 3rd 2020, 10:43am

pauliedoggs wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 6:21pm
Falstaff wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 12:32pm
doggs, as a collector with many interests, I would not disparage another's hobby, but I just don't get the flashlight thing. I do watches, fountain pens and guns among others, but what do you look for in a flashlight? After all, you just push the button and the light comes on, right? Off, on, off, on. Is it appearance or lumens or rarity or what - or is it all of those and something else? Do you do an EDC with flashlights? Can you customize 'em with more powerful leds or souped up batteries? Again, no disrespect intended.
No offense taken—like, at all :) I’m not a hardcore LED light collector. I like LED lights because they never burn out and if you drop it you won’t break the bulb. I’m not really into the modification of them either. I do like the fact that you can get ones that have adjustable brightness; that way, I can carry one light and have bright, eye-blinding power (if needed) or the look under the car seat for something low setting. I have several different ones for different applications. I have a larger, rechargeable light for taking out the trash that way I can completely flood the back yard. My preferred EDC is a Surefire EDCL1-T which takes one CR123 primary cell. It’s small and powerful and pairs well when I carry. It has a low and a bright setting. I also keep extra batteries close by. I have a few other lights that are rechargeable too—those stay around the house and one at work. I prefer lights that are designed for tactical use because if I’m going to pull it out in a self-defense situation I want the light to come on with a thumb press and I want it in my hand so I can strike with it. My flashlight and my knife are probably the most useful items I carry. I feel naked without them. I hope all that rambling answers your questions somewhat. I just like lights—they fascinate me. The technology has advanced considerably since I was a younger man. I keep them and have them all over the place: home, car, office, back pack, my wife’s purse, next to my daughter’s bed for when the power goes out.
was the
EDCL1-T photo from internet:
Well that makes sense - thanks. I remember when the aircraft grade aluminum 6 D-cell Maglite (the Persuader) the cops used to carry was state of the art. Then they introduced the Maglight Mini with 2 AAs - and that was just the cat's ass. I still have and use several of both - incandescent bulbs and all - although I recently picked up a tactical (pointy things on the head) aluminum rechargeable adjustable beam LED light from the heathen Chinese on e-bay for about $4.00. Of course I also had to buy the rechargeable batteries for about another $4.00. It is one bright little son-of-a-bitch! Puts those old Maglights to shame - although they'll likely last til the sun burns out.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
User avatar
pauliedoggs
Posts: 18
Joined: August 21st 2020, 6:02pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Southeastern CT
Contact:

Re: New to Watchlords but not Watch Collecting

Post by pauliedoggs » September 3rd 2020, 7:31pm

Falstaff wrote:
September 3rd 2020, 10:43am
pauliedoggs wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 6:21pm
Falstaff wrote:
September 2nd 2020, 12:32pm
doggs, as a collector with many interests, I would not disparage another's hobby, but I just don't get the flashlight thing. I do watches, fountain pens and guns among others, but what do you look for in a flashlight? After all, you just push the button and the light comes on, right? Off, on, off, on. Is it appearance or lumens or rarity or what - or is it all of those and something else? Do you do an EDC with flashlights? Can you customize 'em with more powerful leds or souped up batteries? Again, no disrespect intended.
No offense taken—like, at all :) I’m not a hardcore LED light collector. I like LED lights because they never burn out and if you drop it you won’t break the bulb. I’m not really into the modification of them either. I do like the fact that you can get ones that have adjustable brightness; that way, I can carry one light and have bright, eye-blinding power (if needed) or the look under the car seat for something low setting. I have several different ones for different applications. I have a larger, rechargeable light for taking out the trash that way I can completely flood the back yard. My preferred EDC is a Surefire EDCL1-T which takes one CR123 primary cell. It’s small and powerful and pairs well when I carry. It has a low and a bright setting. I also keep extra batteries close by. I have a few other lights that are rechargeable too—those stay around the house and one at work. I prefer lights that are designed for tactical use because if I’m going to pull it out in a self-defense situation I want the light to come on with a thumb press and I want it in my hand so I can strike with it. My flashlight and my knife are probably the most useful items I carry. I feel naked without them. I hope all that rambling answers your questions somewhat. I just like lights—they fascinate me. The technology has advanced considerably since I was a younger man. I keep them and have them all over the place: home, car, office, back pack, my wife’s purse, next to my daughter’s bed for when the power goes out.
was the
EDCL1-T photo from internet:
Well that makes sense - thanks. I remember when the aircraft grade aluminum 6 D-cell Maglite (the Persuader) the cops used to carry was state of the art. Then they introduced the Maglight Mini with 2 AAs - and that was just the cat's ass. I still have and use several of both - incandescent bulbs and all - although I recently picked up a tactical (pointy things on the head) aluminum rechargeable adjustable beam LED light from the heathen Chinese on e-bay for about $4.00. Of course I also had to buy the rechargeable batteries for about another $4.00. It is one bright little son-of-a-bitch! Puts those old Maglights to shame - although they'll likely last til the sun burns out.
I have 2 of those Maglites too!! 3 or 4 D cell models. I have one in the basement and it looks just like the incandescent model except it has an LED in it. It throws light pretty well. The beam is adjustable too. Yes, the Chinese are balls deep in the market making all sorts of lights. My first Chinese light was an O-Light. It doesn’t work anymore and it wasn’t from abuse. It was one of my first lights so I coddled it. Piece of shit. I remember when the first Surefire tactical xenon lights came on the market. A friend showed it to me and I almost shot beer through my nose when he told me it was $200. It was frigging bright, though. I didn’t get into the tactical light market until the LEDs started coming out.
Post Reply

Return to “Welcome! Introduce Yourself”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest