The obligatory intro & 3 pages of prattle

Rev grouse

The obligatory intro & 3 pages of prattle

Post by Rev grouse » May 12th 2012, 7:21am

Howdy,

I have a long time interest in time (as a unit vector in an anisotropic manifold) and am a long time user of electronic instrumentation. My first volt meter had vacuum tubes and my first digital multimeter had nixie tubes and a stepping-relay based AD converter. Recently, in my later years, these interests have converged in the solar powered “atomic” watch. Yes, I am a nerd.

Also I am retired, a recluse, and generally don't give a shit what other people think – AFAICT most are clueless idiots who couldn't tell a hemiola from a hermitian operator. On the other hand I have known people both truly brilliant and highly talented and I am neither of these and prone to profoundly mindless senior moments so I am inclined to be tolerant to those not flagrantly and persistently stupid. I do consider argumentum ad hominem the work of retards unable to construct coherent arguments. But every now and then virtually everyone reaches their limit.

Anyway, an interesting site, and my praise to those whose contributions and management make this possible. (SUCKUP!)

Bob

Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The obligatory intro & 3 pages of prattle

Post by Falstaff » May 12th 2012, 7:40am

Obligatory indeed - no intro, no washee. With elections coming up soon on part of this planet, I encourage you to vote Heisenberg for State Vector.

Oh, and welcome. Personally, I have a low tolerance for fools, the sanctimonious and sons of bitches - I trust you fall into none of these classifications.
"...and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled!"

J the R 1888
Rev grouse

Post by Rev grouse » May 12th 2012, 7:47am

Falstaff wrote:Obligatory indeed - no intro, no washee. With elections coming up soon on part of this planet, I encourage you to vote Heisenberg for State Vector.
You radical scum! Im voting for Hilbert!
Last edited by Rev grouse on May 12th 2012, 7:49am, edited 2 times in total.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 12th 2012, 7:51am

EntropicTimer wrote:
Falstaff wrote:Obligatory indeed - no intro, no washee. With elections coming up soon on part of this planet, I encourage you to vote Heisenberg for State Vector.

You radical scum! Im voting for Hilbert!

Hilbert, eh? I'll cross that Einstein - Rosen bridge when I come to it.

J the R 1888
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 12th 2012, 8:02am

EntropicTimer wrote:
Falstaff wrote: Hilbert, eh? I'll cross that Einstein - Rosen bridge when I come to it.

Well then you're in for a rude awakening -- the far end of that bridge is not local.

Suspect I'll end up either like Billie Joe McAllister or the chap in Munch's The Scream. Ah well, nothing ventured....

J the R 1888

Post by Guest » May 12th 2012, 12:13pm

conjurer wrote:OK, that's fine. I jest thought you was talkin' high-falutin' to put down us book-learnin' dis-abled folk.

No problems, some of my best friends are book-learnin' dis-abled folk. And I dropped outa Jr High in the 10th grade and never got no stink'n degree so like most book-learnin' dis-abled folk I have enough sense not to be impressed by a stink'n piece of paper.

Further, intelligence has many dimensions and as person with Aspergers I am a complete moron along more than one of those dimensions and so clumsy I have to sit down to chew gum. And finally I don't put people down for not knowing things, there is a world of things about which I am clueless. My estimation of a person has nothing to do with their physical attributes, education, knowledge, or wealth and power, if any. In all seriousness I can and do respect people who can bore me to tears in seconds if I actually have to speak with them. Fortunately, on a forum they can't hear you cry.

Feel better now?
DBCooper
Watchlord WIS

Post by DBCooper » May 12th 2012, 12:33pm

Does time cease to exist when it is no longer possible to observe further change?
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 12th 2012, 1:43pm

EntropicTimer wrote:
conjurer wrote:OK, that's fine. I jest thought you was talkin' high-falutin' to put down us book-learnin' dis-abled folk.

No problems, some of my best friends are book-learnin' dis-abled folk. And I dropped outa Jr High in the 10th grade and never got no stink'n degree so like most book-learnin' dis-abled folk I have enough sense not to be impressed by a stink'n piece of paper.

Further, intelligence has many dimensions and as person with Aspergers I am a complete moron along more than one of those dimensions and so clumsy I have to sit down to chew gum. And finally I don't put people down for not knowing things, there is a world of things about which I am clueless. My estimation of a person has nothing to do with their physical attributes, education, knowledge, or wealth and power, if any. In all seriousness I can and do respect people who can bore me to tears in seconds if I actually have to speak with them. Fortunately, on a forum they can't hear you cry.

Feel better now?

Absolutely! I am, as you might have already guessed, a total asshole. My apologies. Carry on!

Post by Guest » May 12th 2012, 1:46pm

If you can imagine how difficult that question is you are a sadist. On the other hand I am certainly not bored. So thanks.

If one looks only at Minkowsky/Einstein space-time, the existence of time is independent of change in or content of space-time. End of story.

However, the analytic geometry of 4D (3+1) Minkowsky/Einstein space-time gives no clue as to why we experience the future as coming after the past. This astounding cluelessness extends to all physics save thermodynamics where there is a statistically based differentiation between past, present and future. Intuition suggests that the current model will only be a limiting case of a more general one that will link entropy and time. (How's that for a slippery argument.)

So, uh … you bored now? (I could go on a little if anyone is awake.)

Post by Guest » May 12th 2012, 2:04pm

conjurer wrote:
Absolutely! I am, as you might have already guessed, a total asshole. My apologies. Carry on!

Oh, my good Sir! This is terribly un PC of me but there might uh ..be ... uh … a reason for the derogatory “Asspergers”. I have read a number of your posts. I have enjoyed them and think our “humors” not incompatible. If apologies are due they are due from me. That is what I feel in my liberal ass heart of hearts. But for the record: “Screw you!”

EDIT:

Added "ass." Hmm hemiola and now ass. Tsk, tsk, tsk, where is this all going.
Last edited by Guest on May 12th 2012, 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 12th 2012, 2:07pm

EntropicTimer wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Oh, my good Sir! This is terribly un PC of me but there might uh ..be ... uh … a reason for the derogatory “Asspergers”. I have read a number of your posts. I have enjoyed them and think our “humors” not incompatible. If apologies are due they are due from me. That is what I feel in my liberal heart of hearts. But for the record: “Screw you!”

Well said! You're obviously a fine fellow.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » May 12th 2012, 2:14pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:Let me warm up the ole Quantum computer..... As the qubits become entangled, I'll go back to watchin' NASCAR.
I love reading smart guys posting on theoretical physics. It gives me hope.

Jesus Christ, is that what they're talking about? I thought they were talking about tits.
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1043975795

Post by Bigjimzlll » May 12th 2012, 2:17pm

conjurer wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:Let me warm up the ole Quantum computer..... As the qubits become entangled, I'll go back to watchin' NASCAR.
I love reading smart guys posting on theoretical physics. It gives me hope.

Jesus Christ, is that what they're talking about? I thought they were talking about tits.

<<<< still laughing...John you crack me up

Post by Guest » May 12th 2012, 3:49pm

DBCooper wrote:If there nothing is left to change does space-time exist?

I could be wrong but I think that is unknowable given the current state of physics. Physics remains full of mysteries that are even now giving themselves up to humanity through science and mathematics.

Return to “Welcome! Introduce Yourself”